The Student Room Group

Anyone ever winged an exam??

Got my BTEC ICT exam on the same day as my GCSE Maths one and I really can't be asked to revise for it. I need to work hard for a B in maths and the ICT exam is a resit anyways. I also haven't done the course in like a whole year so...

Anyways, winging an exam with no revision at all - good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Perfection Ace
Got my BTEC ICT exam on the same day as my GCSE Maths one and I really can't be asked to revise for it. I need to work hard for a B in maths and the ICT exam is a resit anyways. I also haven't done the course in like a whole year so...

never a good idea because you never know what things the examiner's can throw at you, so I suggest doing some revision:smile:
No, you should always do some revision before an exam. These exams could potentially be crucial to securing a job so it's always a good idea to do some revision.

Im sure you couldve split your day up to do maths and ICT! If your like me then I can do hours of revision and won't get tired of it, so you could do 4 hours maths or maybe 5 and 4/5 hours of ICT? If you can't do hours of revision then 1-2 hours of both should've been done with no problems!

Im not sure when your exam is but if it is on monday then you have probs left it a bit late.
Winging exams is never a good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I got Distinction, Distinction for the coursework and an original pass for the exam (overall merit). But maths is sooooo hard :frown:
Aren't we all going to at least wing English Language? :lol:
I winged my French and Spanish writing exams because there isn't really anything you can prepare (apart from key phrases).
But it doesn't sound like a good idea to wing ICT... I do Computing and there are loads of definitions and things that you just can't make up.
I have sat uni exams without looking a past paper because I was pressed for time and still studying things other than past papers.

Not a good idea.

If you have the chance now, don't waste it because you're not bothered.
Can understand that maths is more important to you but it is really impossible to do well in the ICT exam without knowing the material, especially if you havent been over it in over a year. It depends on your situation what grades you need in each subject to do your uni course, job ect and also how much the exams in question count towards your overall grade. I would focus on maths as you have said its more important but also do some ICT revision because you have a high chance of doing badly if you dont revise.

Revision, using past papers makes the difference frrom your " can't be asked grade " to your full potential on what you know currently. Such as a C then boosted to a middle B just by three exam papers!

In Maths it was the difference from a C to an A*!!!
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Im sure you couldve split your day up to do maths and ICT! If your like me then I can do hours of revision and won't get tired of it, so you could do 4 hours maths or maybe 5 and 4/5 hours of ICT? If you can't do hours of revision then 1-2 hours of both should've been done with no problems!

Im not sure when your exam is but if it is on monday then you have probs left it a bit late.
Winging exams is never a good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, my maths exam is on Thursday 9 am and the ICT exam idk (my teacher hasn't told me anything about it other than it's on Thursday). I would do hours of revision but I have other exams straight after which are more prioritised to me!! :frown:
Original post by surina16
Aren't we all going to at least wing English Language? :lol:
I winged my French and Spanish writing exams because there isn't really anything you can prepare (apart from key phrases).
But it doesn't sound like a good idea to wing ICT... I do Computing and there are loads of definitions and things that you just can't make up.

But then again, my exam is BTEC :lol:
Original post by SeanFM
I have sat uni exams without looking a past paper because I was pressed for time and still studying things other than past papers.

Not a good idea.

If you have the chance now, don't waste it because you're not bothered.

But I need to revise for like 6 other exams!! :frown:
Back in my school days I 'studied' Advanced Higher Business Management. Not enough students were interested in studying the subject, but I persuaded the school to let me. I didn't have a teacher; I had a textbook.

Needless to say I didn't read said textbook. I submitted the required coursework, but that was about it. I went into the exam and wrote about whatever I thought was relevant, mentioning news articles I had read or theories I made up in the exam.

I passed.
I'm aiming for a Distinction but the Sixth Form I applied requires me to get a B equivalent (that's a merit right?)

I'm doing Edexcel :smile: and you're welcome :tongue:
But I need to revise for like 6 other exams!! :frown:

I see, that bites :s-smilie: I think in that case, you need to look at your timetable and see what work you can do on which day. Maybe you can give yourself the day before the exam to just run through ICT as fast as you can and look at a past paper.. better than no prep, anyway.
Reply 15
Did a maths gcse exam a year early with no sleep or revision got an A
Original post by SeanFM
I see, that bites :s-smilie: I think in that case, you need to look at your timetable and see what work you can do on which day. Maybe you can give yourself the day before the exam to just run through ICT as fast as you can and look at a past paper.. better than no prep, anyway.

Ahhhh, might as well!! Thanks for the advice though!
boss.
Daaaamn, I looked at the unofficial mark scheme and I got 47/100!! How much do you reckon out of 200 for a B? Also, what do you think you got? :smile:

Hopefully there's lots of trigonometry in the next paper - I find them really easy!
86??? Wow! That is CRAAZYY!! You reckon the grade boundaries will go high? Lots of people in my year found it difficult!! I'm just praying it's low!!! Anyways, I wish you all the best on Thursday!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest