The Student Room Group

What do people think about Ramadan (The month of fasting in Islam)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idrathernotsay
Young children aren't supposed to fast, only when you've hit puberty are you obligated to do it.

I'm saying it because on another thread someone said their sister's primary school won't let them fast and that it is compulsory for her and she was in year 4! I guess that's not true though? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
Okay fair enough I'm not trying to dissuade people, I'm just saying that it could serve better if we give money to them rather than just fast, it seems more viable that way. A lot of people use Ramadan as an excuse to cleanse their sins and then not even bother to pray later on when it's all finished.

That is true; I won't try and defend them but it's their own choice. And we give money anyway as Zakat. The main purpose of Ramadan is for the spirit it also brings the family and community closer in my opinion as we like to break our fasts together. Also, it has a lot of proven health benefits.
But, overall, it's up to the individual as to what they want to do during and after Ramadan; it is their own after life that they are gambling with.
Original post by Kryptonian
I'm saying it because on another thread someone said their sister's primary school won't let them fast and that it is compulsory for her and she was in year 4! I guess that's not true though? :smile:

It might be true, my brother and sister fasted when they were in yr 5 but at that time the fasts were much shorter and the school didn't have any experience with Muslims and their culture at the time. It really depends on the family. Personally, if I had kids, I would make them fast a couple days when they were in the later years of primary school but if they couldn't do it I wouldn't force them. I start trying to make them fast when they were in yr 7/8. But that's only my personal opinion, I can't speak on behalf for the family of the girl you were talking about.
I just eat when i go out and when im at a friends house or when nobody is home. I don't believe in God but would rather not be executed for apostasy so i gotta play deep agent.
Original post by ErniePicks
I just eat when i go out and when im at a friends house or when nobody is home. I don't believe in God but would rather not be executed for apostasy so i gotta play deep agent.

So I guess that means you don't agree with Ramadan? And if your an atheist how do you find living with a Muslim family?(Just a bit curious)
I like the concept of it but I don't like it when little children are made to fast :/
Original post by loveleest
I like the concept of it but I don't like it when little children are made to fast :/

are you dumb or did you just not read the previous pages?
Okay fair enough I'm not trying to dissuade people, I'm just saying that it could serve better if we give money to them rather than just fast, it seems more viable that way. A lot of people use Ramadan as an excuse to cleanse their sins and then not even bother to pray later on when it's all finished.

Is it not more beneficial to put yourself in their shoes and understand how they feel? Because once you understand you respond to their needs. And its better to be a good Muslims for one month a year than not be a good Muslim at all.
Charity is already a huge part of Islam. Fasting simply compliments it.
Pray for low-grade boundaries ,that is what Ramadan is about innit.
Original post by Anonymous

you dont need to be so mean and blunt about it
I don't mind the idea of fasting.

What I do mind is when some people call out for exam timetables to be changed to fit Ramadan. I mean, the exam system is secular and shouldn't be changed favour any religious event in my opinion.

I'm not against Islam or any other religion before anyone claims that I am.

Even though children are not obligated to fast until they hit puberty, it does not change the fact that some parents force their children to fast before reaching that stage. Think before you speak such insulting language.
Original post by CrazyFool229
I don't mind the idea of fasting.

What I do mind is when some people call out for exam timetables to be changed to fit Ramadan. I mean, the exam system is secular and shouldn't be changed favour any religious event in my opinion.

I'm not against Islam or any other religion before anyone claims that I am.

Yeah I get that. I mean it would've been nice if Ramadan and exams didn't clash but what can you do? I probably won't be fasting for the next two weeks because of my exams, that way if I get bad grades I cant blame the fact I was fasting. But it does mean I have to make it up at a later date which is kinda a pain.

lol pardon?:confused:
you dont need to be so mean and blunt about it

Original post by Economistician
Even though children are not obligated to fast until they hit puberty, it does not change the fact that some parents force their children to fast before reaching that stage. Think before you speak such insulting language.

Thank you guys :smile:
Pretty silly idea,No reason to do it and at school people get all angry in the canteen.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Pretty silly idea,No reason to do it and at school people get all angry in the canteen.

what do you mean people get angry at canteens?
what do you mean people get angry at canteens?

Some guy told me it was disrespectful to eat near him. Like bloody hell you move
I'm a Muslim yet I disagree with the concept. If its supposed to help the poor and needy, we don't need to fast because it neither helps them out and makes us have near death experiences. Why can't we just do the whole giving money to those in need like those who can't fast do? Because fasting makes no sense other than bringing our faith closer and cleansing sins.

It's a one day fast lmao.

This is the point which many miss and many inc myself are guilty, we become very religious during this month by reading Quran watching Islamic videos but after ramadan finished and after eid were back to our usual self, so its all about consistency and being aware of desires and temptations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending