The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Here are some notes that are helping me revise especially the AA one as it's all in order and split into factors.
I'm completely screwed for women and trade unions :'( just praying AA and NA come up and are nice
Original post by marty_marts
You're welcome :smile:

These are very helpful! May I know what grades or marks you got in these essays?
Reply 63
[QUOTE=Eryka;65436459]Your focus would be entirely on the presidents and the way they helped to develop or hindered the civil rights movement- but you could mention that some Presidents who experinced preassure from the movement were more likely to act for e.g: if Johnson and JFK didn't experince preassure from MLK/white liberals/pro-CR media would they really challenge the congress in passing the Civil Rights Act 1964?
Would Nixon and Rgean adapt Affermitive Action if violent protests did not erupt due to socio/economic inequality.
Truman was preassured to act during WW2 becase he coldn't afford a rebellion in America at the time of WW2 where unity was needed thus in order to prevent P.Randolph and his March of Washington proposals he called for the FEPC and desegregated armed forces for the sake of creating unity amongst Americans abroad and keeping Randolph happy.
This would be your Evaluation/Analysis so it is good to bring it in just don't write about MLK who he was/ his achievements ect, just mention that he existed and he put preassure on the Federal government

Sorry I just noticed the second part of your question; for leaders you would only discuss leaders and their tactics, achievements, groups that they established and the legacy that they left e.g: MLK- the MLK day became a federal holiday, Tuskagee Institutes continue to exist, NAACP still exists ect

If the question is assess the view that civil rights leaders were the most important reason for development of civil rights you would talk about civil rights leaders and how they contributed towards development, and then compare it to other factors e.g; federal government, change in white peoples attitude, ect
Reply 64
Guys are you revising all four topics or are you skipping one- my teacher reckons that Na are going to come up- assess the view that Na did little for development of their rights/ AA were the main reason for advancement for civil rights and women/ trade unions turning points
I'm skipping trade unions
Original post by stratagems
That's the first time they've ever asked specifically about the Supreme Court!

TU seems OK as it's a turning point question and they're quite standard.

I remember answering the women's one - I can't for the life of me remember answering the one of the others as I wouldn't have known what the heck to say!

For the Supreme Coourt question you'd just do all three branches of the gov as your factors and decided if S.C. was most important
GUYS!! If the question for native americans was: to what extent was the federal government the most important factor hindering the development of Native American civil rights
What factors other than the federal government and the disunity of the natives themselves could you talk about or would that be it?
Reply 67
Original post by Hihihi123
GUYS!! If the question for native americans was: to what extent was the federal government the most important factor hindering the development of Native American civil rights
What factors other than the federal government and the disunity of the natives themselves could you talk about or would that be it?

You could also refer to westward expansion and impacts of the civil war in 1865, world wars and urbanisation in the 1960s
For trade unions what would count as political rights? So far all i have is their right to collective bargaining and strike but im not sure if even these count as political
Original post by sorch1
You could also refer to westward expansion and impacts of the civil war in 1865, world wars and urbanisation in the 1960s

Aren't those all effects of the federal government though?
image.jpg

Here's an answer from the mark scheme on fed govt: you can't really argue much other than that it was NAs or federal government...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Hi Guys I'm struggling on how to answer this question:
The concept of the melting pot did not apply to Native Americans throughout the period. How far do you agree??
Original post by ribbon123
These are very helpful! May I know what grades or marks you got in these essays?

I got 55+/60 in all of them and my teacher says she's very harsh just to be on the safe side in case I get a harsh examiner
Original post by SaraHis
Hi Guys I'm struggling on how to answer this question:
The concept of the melting pot did not apply to Native Americans throughout the period. How far do you agree??

I would answer that question in terms of how successful assimilation was throughout the period.
Reply 74
Anyone knows how did federal government hinder Native American position politically
Original post by Eryka
Anyone knows how did federal government hinder Native American position politically

I'd argue that de facto they hindered as they didn't enforce 1924 ICA and created a climate on reservations so dire that it made them less inclined to want to take part in the political process. Or something like that? Hope that helps x
Original post by marty_marts
I would answer that question in terms of how successful assimilation was throughout the period.

But then how would you talk about land rights?
Reply 77
I'd argue that de facto they hindered as they didn't enforce 1924 ICA and created a climate on reservations so dire that it made them less inclined to want to take part in the political process. Or something like that? Hope that helps x

Hey thanks, do you know how to synthesise the information I'm really struggling right now :frown: like are there any links that could be made over the course of the whole period?

Also how many pages do you normally write for each question- I'm not sure how much is enough.

Sorry for all the questions
Original post by Eryka
Hey thanks, do you know how to synthesise the information I'm really struggling right now :frown: like are there any links that could be made over the course of the whole period?

Also how many pages do you normally write for each question- I'm not sure how much is enough.

Sorry for all the questions

I honestly don't know how many pages to write- it depends on how much you have to say about the question i suppose, past ones I've done have been about maybe 4 and a bit? It completely depends.

Links over time could be 1924 ICA with Harrison v Laveen 1948
Massacre at Wounded Knee 1890 with its occupation in 1973
Dawes Act 1887 with US v Sioux Nation 1980
Lone Wolf v Hitchcock 1903 with the termination policy in 1953
Red Power 1960s with Plains Wars in 1860s e.g. Red Cloud War 1867

I'm struggling a lot with this paper too though :frown:
GUYS- how would you answer the question
To what extent were the activities of white racist groups the most important reason for continued discrimination against african american civil rights in the period?

Other than the KKK what other groups could you talk about?!

Quick Reply

Latest