The Student Room Group

Was it unfair to dump her?

I went out with this girl for the best part of a year and honestly i could not take it anymore.

The reason i actually just got fed up was i was just cringing at her. The reason being is when we first met she was a normal shy and intelligent girl - Im quite a loud person and we met as i had just moved schools.

So i had recently moved from a private school to a state school (start of year 13) as this was the only school which used the same exam board and my previous school could not get me into any other private schools in the area. Was not a big deal although it was abit different i settled in really easily and became quite popular (not being big headed) and i got invited to a party on the second week where i went over and told her i liked her and the feeling was the same so i told her i will take her out for some food. And there she was really shy and i found that hot, anyway after i drove her back to hers and she said my parents are not home so come in and i chilled and met her brother and played some fifa (was not going to have sex as i knew she was a virgin) anyway she found out about me going to a private school and this is when it all went wrong.

I never show off the things i have and im not really stuck up yes i have nice things but that does NOT make me better than someone who does not have them and i never really wear things to show off i wear them because i like it. Anyway this girl lived in a small house and was not well off and honestly i did not care one bit as i liked her for her not how big her parents house was.

Anyway the next week i went back to my old school to speak to my old teachers about my targets and she came with me and met some of my old friends, whilst i was in the office she started telling one of my best mates that her dad was a Investment banker and her mum owned her own business and drove a Range neither was true her dad was a bricklayer and mum was something i cant remember but definitely not CEO (he told me and i never said anything because i was like she was probably trying to act in place) however as we went out more her attitude started changing and this is when i started cringing she would start lying about how she brought a new LV bag and how her dad was buying her a Mercedes CLA, im not one to shoot people down so i just said yeah thats nice. Then a few weeks later i got a new car (did not tell anyone as again i dont want to boast) and she started saying how her dads just got the same one (i got a C Class) and still i was like ok.

She came around to my house and got dressed up (fair enough first time she was meeting my parents) and out of no where she started telling my mum how her parents owned multi national businesses and my mum was taken back because she had only asked how her a levels were going. And she looked at my mums car and said my mum has the newer one (She doesnt) and i honestly did not know what to say.

Anyway i did not want to say much as i did not know if she had underlying issues, but then i was speaking to her mum who started shouting at me saying im making her change (yet her changing was making me cringe and putting me off)

The final straw came when she came to a party with me and was being really arrogant because she was around my private school friends and was giving girls dirty looks told a girl i had known for years that my car was her car and that her parents are both successful IBs. I pulled her to one side and said i cant do this anymore and she started crying and literally screaming at the top of her voice and now i feel like i am the bad person.

I liked her before but her change literally made me cringe, i cant stand people who pretend to be something they are not and she on every occassion belittled her parents who are the nicest people who work hard to provide for her.

Am i ****?
When people change its highly unlikely they go back to the person they were before. By the sounds of it the lies gave her confidence and she enjoyed being this person she made herself to be, it's like a huge story, she enjoyed being something she wasn't. So no you are not wrong in anyway for dumping her, if you didn't have a connection anymore than you did the right thing :smile: hope all is okay? X
Original post by Sebs97
I went out with this girl for the best part of a year and honestly i could not take it anymore.

The reason i actually just got fed up was i was just cringing at her. The reason being is when we first met she was a normal shy and intelligent girl - Im quite a loud person and we met as i had just moved schools.

So i had recently moved from a private school to a state school (start of year 13) as this was the only school which used the same exam board and my previous school could not get me into any other private schools in the area. Was not a big deal although it was abit different i settled in really easily and became quite popular (not being big headed) and i got invited to a party on the second week where i went over and told her i liked her and the feeling was the same so i told her i will take her out for some food. And there she was really shy and i found that hot, anyway after i drove her back to hers and she said my parents are not home so come in and i chilled and met her brother and played some fifa (was not going to have sex as i knew she was a virgin) anyway she found out about me going to a private school and this is when it all went wrong.

I never show off the things i have and im not really stuck up yes i have nice things but that does NOT make me better than someone who does not have them and i never really wear things to show off i wear them because i like it. Anyway this girl lived in a small house and was not well off and honestly i did not care one bit as i liked her for her not how big her parents house was.

Anyway the next week i went back to my old school to speak to my old teachers about my targets and she came with me and met some of my old friends, whilst i was in the office she started telling one of my best mates that her dad was a Investment banker and her mum owned her own business and drove a Range neither was true her dad was a bricklayer and mum was something i cant remember but definitely not CEO (he told me and i never said anything because i was like she was probably trying to act in place) however as we went out more her attitude started changing and this is when i started cringing she would start lying about how she brought a new LV bag and how her dad was buying her a Mercedes CLA, im not one to shoot people down so i just said yeah thats nice. Then a few weeks later i got a new car (did not tell anyone as again i dont want to boast) and she started saying how her dads just got the same one (i got a C Class) and still i was like ok.

She came around to my house and got dressed up (fair enough first time she was meeting my parents) and out of no where she started telling my mum how her parents owned multi national businesses and my mum was taken back because she had only asked how her a levels were going. And she looked at my mums car and said my mum has the newer one (She doesnt) and i honestly did not know what to say.

Anyway i did not want to say much as i did not know if she had underlying issues, but then i was speaking to her mum who started shouting at me saying im making her change (yet her changing was making me cringe and putting me off)

The final straw came when she came to a party with me and was being really arrogant because she was around my private school friends and was giving girls dirty looks told a girl i had known for years that my car was her car and that her parents are both successful IBs. I pulled her to one side and said i cant do this anymore and she started crying and literally screaming at the top of her voice and now i feel like i am the bad person.

I liked her before but her change literally made me cringe, i cant stand people who pretend to be something they are not and she on every occassion belittled her parents who are the nicest people who work hard to provide for her.

Am i ****?

Tbh I think you done the right thing. You could have talked to her and told her to stop lying and pretending because there's no point in that but I dont see how that would have gone down well.
She shouldnt have felt the need to lie to you and everyone else to seem 'better'. I mean she should have trusted you and realized you liked her for who she is? But now its kinda too late to change things around.
nah man you're cool! i possess the same traits as you and i acknowledge your courage!
Reply 4
Original post by ALevelStudent375
When people change its highly unlikely they go back to the person they were before. By the sounds of it the lies gave her confidence and she enjoyed being this person she made herself to be, it's like a huge story, she enjoyed being something she wasn't. So no you are not wrong in anyway for dumping her, if you didn't have a connection anymore than you did the right thing :smile: hope all is okay? X

Well we broke up a few weeks ago and her friends have all fell out with her and shes completely changed, she tried to befriend a few girls who went to my private school but they all think shes weird, she also talks about the weirdest things to act rich like how she is going to the Maldives and its just creeping me and everyone who knows her out so much. Also when i first met her i knew she was not this rich girl and i liked her for who she was. I feel bad as maybe she had issues and low confidence and i dont want her hating her parents for not providing her the same thing. But on the back of my mind i just always wish we would have worked as we got on really well when she was not lying. But i dont think i could ever really sit and speak to her knowing how many lies she has told.

And yes im fine thanks for asking, it was all a little bit weird if im honest im not going to claim i "loved" her and all sorts but i found the whole situation a little bit sad.
Reply 5
Original post by connormc199
nah man you're cool! i possess the same traits as you and i acknowledge your courage!

I laughed at "traits" its like we could be the same person :u: but thanks man

Original post by RiahDawson
Tbh I think you done the right thing. You could have talked to her and told her to stop lying and pretending because there's no point in that but I dont see how that would have gone down well.
She shouldnt have felt the need to lie to you and everyone else to seem 'better'. I mean she should have trusted you and realized you liked her for who she is? But now its kinda too late to change things around.

I did speak to her but did not want to be outright i sort of dropped hints like "so you dad got a new job" and she changed the subject so i knew she did not feel comfortable so i left it as i did not want to belittle her or be condescending. It was just a weird thing because she was fine UNTIL she found out i went to a private school and where i lived and from then it was possibly the weirdest thing i have seen someone do, like i have seen lying (white lies) but some of the things she did (she threw away her free lunch card) and did not eat so i did not see it, even though i would not have cared as its nothing to do with me.

Even though i know i did the right thing because she was literally destroying herself i still feel guilty and i would hate for this to hinder her results as she was intelligent
I started reading it and thought you sounded like an idiot, but if thats a fair reflection of whats happened, then no you werent unfair.
Its nice to see you wnat a person to be themselves and ut is cringeworthy plys a warning wwhen you see them persistently telling lies.

I think your mistake was in not addressing it sooner, being able to reassure her enough that it doesnt matter and calling her up everytime she did a series of lies.
You should make it plain exactly what your reasons were and she only had to be herself. Its sad if she doesnt realise this and she believe making things up will do her any good.
Mate. You did the right thing.

I go to a private school and look for and feel the same things you do!!!!

She was lying constantly about bs and trying to act like someone else. Honestly, I would say good job to you!
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I started reading it and thought you sounded like an idiot, but if thats a fair reflection of whats happened, then no you werent unfair.
Its nice to see you wnat a person to be themselves and ut is cringeworthy plys a warning wwhen you see them persistently telling lies.

I think your mistake was in not addressing it sooner, being able to reassure her enough that it doesnt matter and calling her up everytime she did a series of lies.
You should make it plain exactly what your reasons were and she only had to be herself. Its sad if she doesnt realise this and she believe making things up will do her any good.

Re-read and can agree with you!! It is a fair reflection i would say that maybe i should not have told her about my past school or where i lived but that would have come out eventually? And I tried although my efforts were not a simple "Stop lying" i tried to be a little more cautious in what i said because the last thing i wanted was to make her feel inferior as she was already insecure with something.

I told her and she apparently still carries on i havent spoke to her since we broke up and i honestly cannot take her seriously its sad because i never thought she would be this weird.

Original post by ....Jeff458
Mate. You did the right thing.

I go to a private school and look for and feel the same things you do!!!!

She was lying constantly about bs and trying to act like someone else. Honestly, I would say good job to you!

It sucks, because for outside parties especially her friends it looks like i was making her feel like she cant be with me unless she buys so and so and that was not the case.

Fair to say my first experience of dating a state school girl wasnt the best :colonhash: , however im certain she is in the minority.
Original post by Sebs97
Re-read and can agree with you!! It is a fair reflection i would say that maybe i should not have told her about my past school or where i lived but that would have come out eventually? And I tried although my efforts were not a simple "Stop lying" i tried to be a little more cautious in what i said because the last thing i wanted was to make her feel inferior as she was already insecure with something.

I told her and she apparently still carries on i havent spoke to her since we broke up and i honestly cannot take her seriously its sad because i never thought she would be this weird.

It sucks, because for outside parties especially her friends it looks like i was making her feel like she cant be with me unless she buys so and so and that was not the case.

Fair to say my first experience of dating a state school girl wasnt the best :colonhash: , however im certain she is in the minority.

IKR!!!! I know exactly what you mean and feel for you bro. Ppl think like that and there isn't much we can do!

Hahahaha. I'm sure you will find someone right for you and be happier than ever!
If you did tell her and she carried on, then she has some serious insecurities. If you were clear then I think its all on her and people will know the truth anyway. You dont have to hide who you are and by your account you never made much of it. Kuve and learn, not everyones like that, but it just looks like insecurity. A shame because later in life it could cause her a lot of trouble.
Original post by Sebs97

yeah she probably is the minority and i hope this doesnt tarnish your perception of state school students (girls)
lol though she kinda sounds like someone i know but on a worse extent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending