The Student Room Group

Please help. i've already accepted my uni and course but might want to change my mind

I already accepted my uni and sorted out student finance, accomodation everything....

but i can't help but keep thinking i only chose this course because it's the "safe" thing to do (accounting and finance) seeing as i don't really have any interests in ANYTHING AT ALL.

I also did consider law before this, but i thought it;d be easier to get a "better uni" and "better job prospects" with accounting and finance.

I really don't know what to do. i don't feel excited at all about going to do my course, i feel extremely stupid for not thinking this through. thinking about doing it, i keep thinking i will be bored out of my mind (i did business studies for gcse, and economics for a level and i didn't enjoy it but got through it. i have a feeeling it'll be the same for this degree but obviously on a worse scale)

the only subjects i quite enjoyed at a level i also did were ICT and Sociology...both of which don't have great job prospects. i wouldn't be able to do computer science as i am not a huge maths person ( i have been told many times accounting isn't that maths oriented, ok)

i have been looking at the sociology degree (s) @ Leicester and i do have the entry requirements. however obviously its at a difrerent department/school in the uni altogetheer. i feel like i'm making things more complicated as it is. i am just terrified of going to do my A&F degree and hating it for 3 years.

some people would say i should just try my a&f degree for a bit and how could i know i would hate it not having even started it yet. but i just get a bad feeling about it. please advise me here.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I already accepted my uni and sorted out student finance, accomodation everything....

but i can't help but keep thinking i only chose this course because it's the "safe" thing to do (accounting and finance) seeing as i don't really have any interests in ANYTHING AT ALL.

I also did consider law before this, but i thought it;d be easier to get a "better uni" and "better job prospects" with accounting and finance.

I really don't know what to do. i don't feel excited at all about going to do my course, i feel extremely stupid for not thinking this through. thinking about doing it, i keep thinking i will be bored out of my mind (i did business studies for gcse, and economics for a level and i didn't enjoy it but got through it. i have a feeeling it'll be the same for this degree but obviously on a worse scale)

the only subjects i quite enjoyed at a level i also did were ICT and Sociology...both of which don't have great job prospects. i wouldn't be able to do computer science as i am not a huge maths person ( i have been told many times accounting isn't that maths oriented, ok)

i have been looking at the sociology degree (s) @ Leicester and i do have the entry requirements. however obviously its at a difrerent department/school in the uni altogetheer. i feel like i'm making things more complicated as it is. i am just terrified of going to do my A&F degree and hating it for 3 years.

some people would say i should just try my a&f degree for a bit and how could i know i would hate it not having even started it yet. but i just get a bad feeling about it. please advise me here.

Hey, just so you know, I've moved this to our UCAS and Applications forum because you'll get more relevant replies here :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

If the thought of A&f has stopped exciting you before you've even started, i think you should follow your instincts and change to a different course. does the thought of sociology excite you at all?
Reply 3
Stop and think about what you actually want to do. I don't know about the degree but my brother- in- law is an accountant and it is maths based. It sounds like you need to forget about what you have applied for and just think about the job you want to get at the end of it and pick a degree on that. If you are looking forward to it you can give it a go and then drop out if you don't like it. Look at the individual course modulus for it and see if you like the sound of them. If it sounds awful to you, drop out and re apply next year. even if you don't go up with your friends (as someone who is repeating year 12, i know that one) but it might be worth it so you can work out what you want to do. Me dropping a year has shown me which degree to pick and, even thought i'm gonna struggle with the A-levels i have it means i can work to it. Good Luck!
Agree with claire, that its a bad sign and I personally wouldnt proceed with a course I didnt want to do and follow through with.
I'd decide what i was good at and what i thought was interesting.
The importnat thing is to get reasonable grades. If you do that then you cna take a gap year, get a job, save a bit of money and have a good long think about the degree that suuts you. these forums are full of people who made the wrong choice, are unhappy and who need to switch, which is a c£15,000 cost.
Pretty sure you can get into sociology at Leic through clearing, so this might be an option
Original post by iwannabgrateful
well reading about the course's modules sounds far more interesting than A&F.

i already have my a level results as i already took a year out. :frown:

If you are feeling much more interested in sociology then i recon you should consider swapping, why not look at the graduate employment rates and potential career options with it? remember worst case scenario everyone gets a gift year so you can have the one false start so if you do try it, then yes i dont think debt is a good thing but at least you'd know then i suppose.
whatdo you mean gift year?

if i wanted to change my mind, do u mean give a&f a go first or? confused about what you mean here.

I hoped i would be able to change my course before i start by contacting the uni and seeing what they say about it

Sorry for confusing you, what i meant was is that you can try sociology and if you dont like it after one year then you will still be able to get another degree funded in the future :smile: If there's still spaces left then it shouldnt be too difficult to arrange a course change :smile:
You need to focus on your exams first and then after you cna spend time trawling through careers sites to look at wgat people do. If you qualify as an accountant its an extremely valuable profession to be in and if you are good, then it cna be a great basis for a well paying job in business.
You make decisions for your own life and not whether you disappoint others.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/sociology

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/accountancy-and-finance
Original post by claireestelle
Sorry for confusing you, what i meant was is that you can try sociology and if you dont like it after one year then you will still be able to get another degree funded in the future :smile: If there's still spaces left then it shouldnt be too difficult to arrange a course change :smile:

I think I would do it the other way round because:

imo it offer better prospects.
She already has a place.
It will cause less ruptions with family

Actually i'd just do a gap year, but thats me.
what try doing my a&f course for a while and if i really don't like it, change my mind?

Thast what claire says is an option as you get 1 extra year of funding beyond your degree, but if you do change you will still owe them the money you borrowed. Its just a fallback in case you really dislike it. You can change courses.
i did my exams, all of them a year ago. i know accountancy is a valuable profession which is why i picked the subject in the first place. i am worried i will really dislike it, be demotivated to study, etc.

Is one of your A levels in accountancy? Try talking to some accountancy students.
i meant like switch my course after a short whilein the first year, not do the whole first year of it.

It will still count as a full year of funding. You should also talk to your parents and maybe careers master about your concerns. You should have some interest in the course otherwise it will be a long 3 years.
Reply 13
i meant like switch my course after a short whilein the first year, not do the whole first year of it.

I think you will waste a lot of money and time doing first year and then having to switch because you hate it.

It's still June I would advise you to apply through UCAS Extra as this will close end June. For this first call the uni with sociology and tell them you want to apply to them, then call your uni and cancel the application - explain your situation. This process will actually be very easy since you already have your A Levels.
Moreover you'd be surprised how many different opportunities there are with sociology - you will definitely find something.
It's silly to pick a course that you don't like just because of job opportunities. The course if for 3 years but your job is for the next plus minus 40years during which means you'll suffer for 43years just because you wanted to find a job easily.
Life is too short to do things that you don't fully love.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Have you looked into this: https://le.ac.uk/courses/major-in-sociology-ba

You could do a degree that is 75% sociology with a minor in A&F (of vice versa: https://le.ac.uk/courses/major-in-accounting-and-finance-bsc )

That implies that there's a good amount of flexibility in Leicester's course structure. It's worth contacting them to ask for the flexibility available (and even the possibility of switching from a major/minor to the opposite major/minor or to single honours after the first semester - that would give you time to get a feel for both courses without necessarily using up a year of finance and having to restart from scratch if you change your mind).

The Leicester A&F course isn't accredited (looking at the ACCA website the accreditation expired in 2006) so taking either course wont give you any exemptions for professional exams (just a head start on the content required for those exams when you graduate and start working).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending