The Student Room Group

AQA AS GOVP1 Question Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by connormc199
care to elaborate?

not really, don't have the time to. Too busy learning the essay's which will come up on monday
Original post by CallumEllison97
not really, don't have the time to. Too busy learning the essay's which will come up on monday

i understand!
Original post by connormc199
i understand!

they'll be on participation and pr systems if you were wondering! thank me later :wink:
the two topics im proposing to answer are participation and pressure groups!
Reply 64
they'll be on participation and pr systems if you were wondering! thank me later :wink:

How can you be sure? :wink:
Original post by Jack_Joff
How can you be sure? :wink:

a good source (cant name it because all the papers can get cancelled if they know we know)
young tory voters are what is wrong with this country

Bit of an over exaggeration, anyway from revision you should know know that young voters are the age group that participate the least so any "young tory voter" isn't going to do any harm.
a good source (cant name it because all the papers can get cancelled if they know we know)

what participation essays are there?

And yet you have the time to criticize someone for writing a pro tory essay...
Any essay predictions for P/P or PGs?
anyone know what a popular protest is
Reply 71
Original post by CellucorC4
Any essay predictions for P/P or PGs?

Assuming you mean political parties and pressure groups, I'm assuming political parties will have an essay along the lines of whether the UK has a two-party system or not, or whether political parties can be considered internally democratic.

For pressure groups, I'm assuming the essay question will either be on how succesful they are/what factors determine their success or how democratic they are...
Original post by DWTDevil
Assuming you mean political parties and pressure groups, I'm assuming political parties will have an essay along the lines of whether the UK has a two-party system or not, or whether political parties can be considered internally democratic.

For pressure groups, I'm assuming the essay question will either be on how succesful they are/what factors determine their success or how democratic they are...

how could you write an essay on that?
Reply 73
how could you write an essay on that?

Either they'll ask you how democratic they are internally or how democratic they in general. I hope the latter because the former is too specific.

Things I'd discuss would be how they're democratic internally (many groups that perform direct action depend on grassroots membership) and how they aren't, given that some members merely pay the membership fee but get nothing out of being in a group. I'd also discuss how democratic they are to the interests of society and government i.e. groups allowed to campaign on the same issues with differing opinions and uphold a pluralistic society (e.g. Forest + ASH on smoking isssues), but also seen to strangle efficient government with NUS protests against tuition fees in 2010 that the Conservatives had a mandate for, or how PGs create tyranny of the minority by ignoring the views of the silent minority (e.g. Countryside Alliance whose direct action made the government weaken/compromise on fox-hunting ban, something which had popular support).

Hope that makes things clearer?
(edited 7 years ago)
what do you think will come up for elections?
Original post by Sademajek
what do you think will come up for elections?

fptp
Original post by DWTDevil
Either they'll ask you how democratic they are internally or how democratic they in general. I hope the latter because the former is too specific.

Things I'd discuss would be how they're democratic internally (many groups that perform direct action depend on grassroots membership) and how they aren't, given that some members merely pay the membership fee but get nothing out of being in a group. I'd also discuss how democratic they are to the interests of society and government i.e. groups allowed to campaign on the same issues with differing opinions and uphold a pluralistic society (e.g. Forest + ASH on smoking isssues), but also seen to strangle efficient government with NUS protests against tuition fees in 2010 that the Conservatives had a mandate for, or how PGs create tyranny of the minority by ignoring the views of the silent minority (e.g. Countryside Alliance whose direct action made the government weaken/compromise on fox-hunting ban, something which had popular support).

Hope that makes things clearer?

do pressure groups benefit democracy?
Is anyone please able to help me with this question "Consider the extent to which the use of referendums has strengthened democracy in the UK."

Unsure how I would expand points in order to gain 10 marks.

Thank you!
Reply 78
do pressure groups benefit democracy?

That's for you to decide. Personally I'd conclude that in theory PGs are great for democracy as they provide another avenue for participation that parties don't (electorate generally has been subject to partisan dealignment + disillusionment w/ political parties following sleaze stories like the expenses scandal) but in practice they are considerably undemocratic internally (dependent on its size) and its those wealthy and insider groups that can only perform well at the expense of groups w/o such human + financial resources.
Reply 79
Any predictions for unit 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending