The Student Room Group

AQA B2 - Mitosis and Meiosis

Do you need to memorise the individual stages in both of these even though in the specification it says you do not need to?

Scroll to see replies

I believe so.
For 6 markers potentially? The more you know, the better so I advise that you learn it. I know I did just to make sure!
Reply 3
I would just in case because they could use it as a stretch and challenge question
Reply 4
Original post by amingo26
For 6 markers potentially? The more you know, the better so I advise that you learn it. I know I did just to make sure!

Yeah I guess you're right it's just killing me 😭
Reply 5
Original post by AfcFob
I would just in case because they could use it as a stretch and challenge question

They could use it after saying you don't need to learn it that's harsh.
Reply 6
Original post by Lea170
They could use it after saying you don't need to learn it that's harsh.

Yeah they can they have asked some weird stuff at Bio AS which is totally unrelated and they expect you to be able to apply your knowledge to the unfamiliar situation
Reply 7
Original post by AfcFob
Yeah they can they have asked some weird stuff at Bio AS which is totally unrelated and they expect you to be able to apply your knowledge to the unfamiliar situation

Guess I should want to learn it because I'm doing A level Biology too 😂
Original post by Lea170

Yeah same, I should learn it as well even though it is quite detailed and I'm taking it for A Level aha
Reply 9
Original post by Lea170

Yeah you have to know it inside out for AS so it's probably easier to learn it now
Original post by AfcFob
Yeah you have to know it inside out for AS so it's probably easier to learn it now

this is Gcse right? I thought we were meant to know it? Only bit I'm unsure of is chromatids (can someone confirm we don't need to know this part though).
Reply 11
Original post by 1jonam16
this is Gcse right? I thought we were meant to know it? Only bit I'm unsure of is chromatids (can someone confirm we don't need to know this part though).

An INDIVIDUAL chromatid is one half of the two identical strands which have been replicated so they can divide in cell division

SISTER chromatids is a way of describing the two identical strands when they are joined together by the centromere before cell division occurs

(I don't know if this is more of an AS response, it's just how I describe them)
Original post by AfcFob
An INDIVIDUAL chromatid is one half of the two identical strands which have been replicated so they can divide in cell division

SISTER chromatids is a way of describing the two identical strands when they are joined together by the centromere before cell division occurs

(I don't know if this is more of an AS response, it's just how I describe them)

So each chromosome consists of 2 strands right, so for a pair of chromosomes, you would have 4 individual chromatids? Thanks. Also, do we need to know what cell poles and spindle fibres are??
Reply 13
Original post by AfcFob

What's biology A level like?
Reply 14
So each chromosome consists of 2 strands right, so for a pair of chromosomes, you would have 4 individual chromatids? Thanks. Also, do we need to know what cell poles and spindle fibres are??

Basically yeah for a pair of chromosomes you would have 4 individual chromatids and I don't think so for GCSE but yes for AS you do

But just in case... The poles are opposite ends of the cell where the centrioles move to

Thee spindle fibres form from the two centrioles, attach to the centromeres of the sister chromatids and pull the individual chromatids to opposite poles of the cells
Original post by AfcFob
Basically yeah for a pair of chromosomes you would have 4 individual chromatids and I don't think so for GCSE but yes for AS you do

But just in case... The poles are opposite ends of the cell where the centrioles move to

Thee spindle fibres form from the two centrioles, attach to the centromeres of the sister chromatids and pull the individual chromatids to opposite poles of the cells

Thanks a lot, I guess this probably wont come up though, might as well know it i fgure
Reply 16
Original post by Lea170
What's biology A level like?

I love it it is my favourite subject but there is a lot of content to learn so you have to be prepared to really work in your free periods but I'm telling you it's so worth it because it's so interesting!!
Reply 17
Thanks a lot, I guess this probably wont come up though, might as well know it i fgure

It's not likely because it's in my AQA AS spec... What is your bio exam board??
Original post by AfcFob
It's not likely because it's in my AQA AS spec... What is your bio exam board??

Ohhh you do AS? I'm taking it for A-Level, but am only finishing GCSEs atm.
Reply 19
Ohhh you do AS? I'm taking it for A-Level, but am only finishing GCSEs atm.

Haha yeah I'm in Y12 and you'll love the A-Level the content is so interesting, much more interesting than the GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending