The Student Room Group

Questions about shia-ism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I assume you are a Shiite.

I'm a follower of the sunnah of the prophet pbuh and his companions.
Sunny better than rainy!

Original post by Al-farhan
Sunny side up

May I ask then why have you created a thread with the intention to answer questions regarding Shiasim when you are not part of this sect?
May I ask then why have you created a thread with the intention to answer questions regarding Shiasim when you are not part of this sect?

Well I had/have a few questions about shia-ism, and since there is a strongly implied claim that it is the only way and only path to Allah, his prophet and heaven. I decided to read up on the sect find their theology and find out more about it.
Hence this thread was for me to ask prominent shia members here rather than answer.
Original post by ☪☪☪

Btw what do we call you bro.
Or is just crescent moon?
Well I had/have a few questions about shia-ism, and since there is a strongly implied claim that it is the only way and only path to Allah, his prophet and heaven. I decided to read up on the sect find their theology and find out more about it.
Hence this thread was for me to ask prominent shia members here rather than answer.

That makes slightly more sense.
Btw what do we call you bro.
Or is just crescent moon?

The crescent moon 3 :smug:

I'm a shia muslim, and he did so to avoid discord and argumentation on the I-Soc thread. I belive it was a very good idea, and i support/supported him in this.

The title has been changed a few times, but i think i preferred it when it was 'questions about shia theology' or 'shia islam'
Original post by Tawheed
I'm a shia muslim, and he did so to avoid discord and argumentation on the I-Soc thread. I belive it was a very good idea, and i support/supported him in this.

The title has been changed a few times, but i think i preferred it when it was 'questions about shia theology' or 'shia islam'

Can i ask if you believe that the Holy Qur'an is the whole truth?
Because i have had shias who say the Qur'an is not the whole truth and parts of it (regarding Ali r.a. being the rightly guided caliph) are missing.

Can you explain this if this is true or not? and if so how can one be Muslim if he/she believes that the Qur'an is changed and not the whole truth.

I'm feeling much better relative to before. Still have up and down days, but inshAllah i will try to get to answering some of these questions soon.
Original post by Devoted to Islam
I'm feeling much better relative to before. Still have up and down days, but inshAllah i will try to get to answering some of these questions soon.

Alhamdulilah that you are feeling better brother. Glad to hear it.
In this holy month may Allah swt sort all our worldly affairs and give us health and happiness.
Alhamdulilah that you are feeling better brother. Glad to hear it.
In this holy month may Allah swt sort all our worldly affairs and give us health and happiness.

Ilahiameen, and please remember me and the rest of us in your dua's especially when you are about to break your fast!
Original post by mattyk5
Can i ask if you believe that the Holy Qur'an is the whole truth?
Because i have had shias who say the Qur'an is not the whole truth and parts of it (regarding Ali r.a. being the rightly guided caliph) are missing.

Can you explain this if this is true or not? and if so how can one be Muslim if he/she believes that the Qur'an is changed and not the whole truth.

The consensus among shia scholars is that the Quran we have today, is the same as the Quran revealed to Muhammed s.a.w., without any alteration in the pure text revealed.

Any traditions in sunni books or shia books saying otherwise, are graded weak, or intepreted wrongly.
Reply 293
Original post by Tawheed
The consensus among shia scholars is that the Quran we have today, is the same as the Quran revealed to Muhammed s.a.w., without any alteration in the pure text revealed.

Any traditions in sunni books or shia books saying otherwise, are graded weak, or intepreted wrongly.

Assalamualaikum,

What is your view on the Shia's who insult the Sahaba, including Aisha (RA), Abu Bakr (RA), Umar (RA) and Uthman (RA) amongst many others? And those who exalt Ali (RA) to the extent of committing shirk?
Original post by King7
Assalamualaikum,
What is your view on the Shia's who insult the Sahaba, including Aisha (RA), Abu Bakr (RA), Umar (RA) and Uthman (RA) amongst many others?

I believe it is Harram - forbidden to insult the sahaba's named, or any of the wives of Rasullah s.a.w

From Ayatullah Sistani: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235017990-al-sistanis-on-insulting-the-wives-and-companions/
The Question:as-Salamu Alykum wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu,A video clip has been seen several times on social network web sites showing a congregation during the martyrdom of al-Imam al-Jawad (a.s.). This group of people from the area known as al-A'dhamiyyah are shown shouting out insults upon 'Omar, A’isha, and others. Is this type of behavior condemned by the supreme religious authority, especially since it involves the insult of religious figures of our brothers of the Sunni school of thought, and it could potentially fuel unrest amongst the people of Iraq and jeopardize peace? The Answer:In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The MercifulThis type of behavior is condemned, strongly denounced and contrary to the commands of the Imams of the Holy Household of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.) to their followers. Allah is The Guide.

And those who exalt Ali (RA) to the extent of committing shirk?

Ali a.s is not God, auzubillah. Nor is he divine, auzubillah. He ate, slept, used the toilet, was wounded , died. He is a slave of Allah swt, but one of the most closest servants to Allah swt.

By exalting him to the extent of commiting shirk - what do you mean by this ?
Reply 295
Original post by Tawheed
I believe it is Harram - forbidden to insult the sahaba's named, or any of the wives of Rasullah s.a.w

From Ayatullah Sistani: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235017990-al-sistanis-on-insulting-the-wives-and-companions/
The Question:as-Salamu Alykum wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu,A video clip has been seen several times on social network web sites showing a congregation during the martyrdom of al-Imam al-Jawad (a.s.). This group of people from the area known as al-A'dhamiyyah are shown shouting out insults upon 'Omar, A’isha, and others. Is this type of behavior condemned by the supreme religious authority, especially since it involves the insult of religious figures of our brothers of the Sunni school of thought, and it could potentially fuel unrest amongst the people of Iraq and jeopardize peace? The Answer:In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The MercifulThis type of behavior is condemned, strongly denounced and contrary to the commands of the Imams of the Holy Household of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.) to their followers. Allah is The Guide.

Ali a.s is not God, auzubillah. Nor is he divine, auzubillah. He ate, slept, used the toilet, was wounded , died. He is a slave of Allah swt, but one of the most closest servants to Allah swt.

By exalting him to the extent of commiting shirk - what do you mean by this ?

Assalamualikum,

Before I reply, I would like to say that I do not mean to offend you in anyway.

However, why do you and Shi'as say Allayhis Salam or Karram Allah after only Ali (RA) and not the other Sahaba, especially the Khalifa Ur Rashidun? Isn't this wrong, considering that the 4 Caliphs should be treated equally.

Jazak'Allah
Original post by QE2
So the validity and acceptability of interpretation or understanding isn't necessarily a function of "scholarship". Those arrived at through necessity can be acceptable. Therefore, there is no objective reason why individuals can't arrive at their own interpretations, in general.

Hi, thanks for being patient with my delayed response.

The validity of your analogy being applied directly to the case of fiqh among millions of Muslims is to be questioned here. It's like a case of bad qiyas. The ijtihad of the man in your example isn't accepted because it is some undeniable principle which is thus to be applied to all cases. Rather, it is accepted as an exception due to extenuating circumstances. The man has no other option.

An appeal to popularity fallacy is never a good argument.
It would seem that, objectively, Quranist would be the default position. Although I still don't see what's wrong with just "Muslim", with no qualifier - I suppose that they are essentially the same thing.

This is not intended to be an appeal to popularity. An appeal to popularity seeks to justify an argument or assertion based on the proportion of people that believe it to be true. Your question was "So simply following the content of the Quran, with no other input or influence, makes one a Sunni". The differences with the Shi'a arose over political issues, hadeeth narrations and what they believed some ayaat of the Quran to refer to (which is something made clear in historical and textual context). The Quran doesn't preach the concept of imaamate, for example.
The so-called 'Quranists' find themselves in a variety of logical discrepancies which the scholars of Islam have discussed for years in their writings. Among such illogicalities is how they can thus source the adhan, or Salaah, or the exact method of Hajj or Umrah, and so on. Hence why nobody but those having a deficient basic understanding of fiqh suggest such concepts.
No, 'Quranists' are not equivalent. It's like saying Donald Trump or Nigel Farage's statements and opinions are the most correct to have ever been expressed on television. He believes he is absolutely correct; some people follow him - this doesn't mean that he is correct. When you get statements blaming immigrants for traffic, causing him to be attend a meeting late, you know there are issues. There may be some truth in some of what he says, but it isn't always logically consistent or justifiable.

The "no True Muslim" fallacy doesn't work. Especially when every faction raises the same argument.

This shows that you are not quite familiar with the essentials of faith in Islam. Certain beliefs are required in order to be classed as Muslim - for example, belief in one God, belief in revelation, and so on. In this case, it does lead to a simple Muslim/Non-Muslim classification. For example, someone cannot worship a tree and then be classed as a Muslim.
Original post by King7
Assalamualikum,

Before I reply, I would like to say that I do not mean to offend you in anyway.

However, why do you and Shi'as say Allayhis Salam or Karram Allah after only Ali (RA) and not the other Sahaba, especially the Khalifa Ur Rashidun? Isn't this wrong, considering that the 4 Caliphs should be treated equally.

Jazak'Allah

I will answer your question after i answer some of the brothers who have been waiting for a while , inshAllah i will come to it soon.
Original post by ash92:)
x.

Salamunalaykum,

I understand i owe you a response on the other issue a few pages back, and i will also address what you have written in this post in due time, however, just to ask a counter question, what would happen if Imam Mahdi a.s appeared for this man who only had the Quran ?

We both accept and agree through authentic ahadith, it is wajib to obey Imam Mahdi a.s as a muslim. Not only that, but Imam Mahdi a.s will be the imam of the world-wide Ummah. Jesus Christ pbuh himself will pray behind Imam Mahdi a.s. Not only that, through him, Allah swt will create the pure society on earth.

What if i stated i do not find his name in the Quran, or an explicit verse that says 'Follow the Mahdi who will be from the line of Muhammed' in the Quran, i would be rejecting arguably one of the most influential people guided , blessed and sent by Allah swt - not as a prophet, but as the imam - leader- of the Ummah , whose obedience is wajib.

A pure Quranist would be neither truly shia or sunni.

Following Imam Mahdi a.s is not a fiqh issue, it is an Aqeedah issue. You and i would both agree rejecting Imam Mahdi a.s is akin to Kufr. Those who will fight him will be upon Kufr. And even Isa son of Maryam a.s will offer salah behind him.

Some people may read the Quran but recognize that Allah swt can not be composed of constituent subunits - and many believe this. Many recognized the figurative language used in the Quran. You'll also have people who will believe Allah has a shin, hands, literally rises, but they don't ask how. So again, there's another fundamental aqeedah difference even before touching ahadith. When touching ahadith, you'll also get this split, but it definitely occurs before doing so.
(edited 7 years ago)
A thread to discuss and understand the madhab of ahlubait.

Are tatoos allowed in shia islam or is that in sunni ??

Quick Reply

Latest