The Student Room Group

Gcse History

Scroll to see replies

Anybody doing aqa the first three sections?
Original post by booksandcats
same i'm doing it as well:smile:

Any predictions? I don't want Stalin to come up for the sources though.
Original post by BluBird :)
Any predictions? I don't want Stalin to come up for the sources though.

I literally have no idea but i DEFINITELY DON'T WANT STALIN OR THE BOLSHEVIKS TO COME UP BC I SUCK AT IT!! I want the vietnam war or the cuban missile crisis to come up bc i'm okay ish at it.

[ i hate history
so much
i really hate it
like hate hate
hate hate HATE ]
Original post by booksandcats
I literally have no idea but i DEFINITELY DON'T WANT STALIN OR THE BOLSHEVIKS TO COME UP BC I SUCK AT IT!! I want the vietnam war or the cuban missile crisis to come up bc i'm okay ish at it.

[ i hate history
so much
i really hate it
like hate hate
hate hate HATE ]

Ugh I agree. Cuba is the only thing I'm okay with! The worst thing for me is actually the British History source paper. Learning everything was all fun and games but the exam just makes me want to cry.
Original post by BluBird :)
Ugh I agree. Cuba is the only thing I'm okay with! The worst thing for me is actually the British History source paper. Learning everything was all fun and games but the exam just makes me want to cry.

yeahhhh:frown:
Original post by ProbablyJade
Anybody doing aqa the first three sections?

Yh, i'm doing Hitler's Foreign Policy, League of Nations, Cold War..

If you need any help, you can let me know. :smile:
Original post by akash3141
Yh, i'm doing Hitler's Foreign Policy, League of Nations, Cold War..

If you need any help, you can let me know. :smile:

Ahh yes! I literally feel like i don't know anything but i've done all the revision. I'm just scared at the possibility of the questions
Yh Yh, that's more to do with unit 2 but I can tell you about it, no problem! :wink:

So, there's three main ways civilians were affected...

1) BOMBINGS KILLED many civilians
- From 1942, the West was attacking German cities HEAVILY! Around 500,000 Germans were killed and more were made homeless.
- The bombing was continuous and relentless- US bombed by day and UK bombed by night.
- The German cities that were particularly affected were Hamburg, Dresden and Berlin.

2) RATIONING affected quality of life
-Food and clothes were 'rationed' from 1939, but at this point Germany was winning the war. Most things could still be obtained easily.
- BUT! From 1942, Germans were badly affected. They lived off much less than British civilians. The Germans received rations of bread, vegetables and potatoes - but their rations decreased as war progressed.
- Buying new clothes or shoes was near impossible.

3) PROPAGANDA encouraged loyalty to Nazis
-The Nazi news media only reported wartime successes. This made the Nazis look strong, which obviously meant the public were misinformed.
-Nazi propaganda also warned Germans against Non-Nazi groups like Bolsheviks. Many people only supported Nazis as they feared the alternatives.
-In the last days of the war, Nazi media encouraged boys, men and old men to defend Berlin from the Russians till the last man.

That's about it :P ! Knowing all that will be enough. Also, you might find it useful to make notes on that and then keep learning it till you know it off by heart :wink: ..

Hope I helped :wink: .. Let me know if you need any more. :smile:
Original post by ProbablyJade
Ahh yes! I literally feel like i don't know anything but i've done all the revision. I'm just scared at the possibility of the questions

LOL, okay! You'll be fine if you know everything! I think you should just be fluent with the exam technique :wink: ..

Good luck. :smile:
Haha yea, you don't need to know all of it... As long as you get the basic idea, you'll be fine..

Good luck for your exam & hope you do well. s]gthumb[/s :wink:
Original post by akash3141
LOL, okay! You'll be fine if you know everything! I think you should just be fluent with the exam technique :wink: ..

Good luck. :smile:

Yea, you too. I have a great document that helped me with exam technique. I guess i just feel like there is so little content and i must have missed something!
Original post by gameofno
sure thing. okay so
detente was basically just the name for tension easing between the 2 superpowers (ussr and usa) so there were a couple of treaties during detente which helped the superpowers. their relationship improved in this time period:
in 1967 there was the outer space treaty which basically just said no nuclear weapons can be placed there by the superpowers, and in 1968 there was the nuclear non-proliferation treaty which said neither superpower can give weapons to other countries
so these 2 things are important in detente because it limited the amount of conflict between superpowers

then in 1972 there was the SALT 1 treaty which basically limited the amount of nuclear weapons the ussr and usa could have
they agreed that there would be no more production of strategic ballistic missiles, agreed that submarines can only carry nuclear weapons when icbms were finished, and also agreed upon the ABM treaty which stated that if developed, ABMS could shoot down incoming nuclear missiles. but each side was limited to 2 abm systems each
SALT 1 was significant because it was the first agreement which limited the number of nuclear weapons they held

then in 1975 the apollo-soyuz mission was a joint space mission between the american apollo and russian soyuz spacecraft, which showed cooperation in space

in 1975 there was also the helsinki agreements which focused on 3 main things: security, cooperation and human rights. basically this was important because it showed that the superpowers could cooperate in terms of trade etc. and also limited the possibility of superpower conflict by creating a better relationship between the usa and ussr in europe

then basically detente collapsed. this is because of the soviet invasion of afghanistan in 1979. ussr invaded because they didn't trust the new afghan government after there was a revolution. the new leader was hafizullah amin and soviets believed he was an american spy. they also invaded bc if afghanistan was an islamic state then they'd have no reason to ally with a communist country and ussr was afraid that other satellite states would also become islamic

a guy named babrak karmal (afghani communist) formed a rival government and helped the ussr invade. the usa basically got super mad so their whole relationship got ruined and the usa refused to ratify SALT 2 treaty.

the carter doctrine by the US president carter basically stated that usa wouldnt allow the ussr to take control of the oil rich middle east. this showed the usa taking a more tough approach to superpower relations. the cia also funded the mujahideen, which were an islamic organisation freeing to fight afghanistan from soviet control. president carter also increaed defence spending by 5%

then in 1980 they boycotted the olympics (usa & 60 other countries boycotted ussr)
1984 olympics were in LA and so the ussr and 14 others boycotted those olympics
by 1980 detente was dead and they were at their worst point since 1962 cuban missile crisis

raegan became president in 1979 and was basically rude af. he introduced SDI which stated that theyd launch satellites in space which would intercept soviet missiles and shoot them down. he made a speech in 1983 and called the soviet union an evil empire.
gorbachev basically couldnt compete cuz russia didnt have the same technology and so he decided to introduce reforms.
perestroika(restructuring) - he introduced economic reforms to make the soviet economy better
glasnost (openness) - censorship of the press was to be relaxed

then they had a few summits and meetings and etc. eventually raegan and gorbachev improved their relationship because:
-raegan knew the US public didnt want another war
-he could see many people approved of gorbachev and his changes in the ussr
-he got on with gorbachev

OK wait ILL FINISH LATER BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO NOW BUT ILL TRY TO FINISH THIS TOMORROW SORRY

Thank you so much for this, it's really useful!!!!
Good luck for tomorrow!
Do you think this will come up? I just think that it was asked last year between the dates 1979-87, so I think they're going to obviously include this, but maybe the Cuban missile crisis or something similar will be the 16 marker.
Once again, thank you!
Btw, on Kristallnacht the main offenders were mostly SA, and were plain clothes officers so that it'd look like it was the "anger of the german public". In reality, there weren't a lot of regular citizens participating, and most people knew it was the SA, but didn't say much about it.

The Nazis armed the SA with pickaxes (or some other type of axe), arson tools and the addresses of Jewish property.
Edexcel IGCSE anyone?
I'm having trouble revising the events leading up to the main 'events' of the Cold War- basically from the Paris peace conferences up to the arms race. Does anyone have a simple summary of it I could use?
Thank you and you too!
Reply 35
For ocr the history of medicine does anyone know if ancient egypt greece and rome alway come up?
So how was the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
really good
Original post by vault111
So how was the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was soo good I was so pleased!! (I did Edexcel topics 4, 5 and 6 so all cold war)
Reply 39
Original post by SugarBubbles2000
It was soo good I was so pleased!! (I did Edexcel topics 4, 5 and 6 so all cold war)

apart from the helsinki **** it was alright

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending