The Student Room Group

Please help with A-Level choices!!

Hey! So originally I wanted to take Physics, Maths and Literature. However, I'm hearing people say to me 'Don't take Maths and Physics it's too hard' and I want to know if it's actually that hard? The main thing for me is to get A*AA to get into Cambridge and I was wondering if History is a good alternative or Philosophy? But I've heard rarely people take Physics on it's own without Maths...
Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNerdxP
Hey! So originally I wanted to take Physics, Maths and Literature. However, I'm hearing people say to me 'Don't take Maths and Physics it's too hard' and I want to know if it's actually that hard? The main thing for me is to get A*AA to get into Cambridge and I was wondering if History is a good alternative or Philosophy? But I've heard rarely people take Physics on it's own without Maths...
Please help!

What do you want to study at uni? :h:

Maths is hard work, granted, but it's not impossible and it's definitely not the hardest A-level out there (in my opinion). Physics.. well.. it helps if you have natural mathematical ability and are confident with dealing with equations, sometimes trig, rearranging things etc and Maths at A-level definitely helps. It's not a must to do it alongside Physics, but the people in my Physics class for example that didn't do Maths found it a bit more difficult that us, but just like Maths, it's all about practice.

So if you enjoy Maths.. I would say, take it.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
What do you want to study at uni? :h:

Maths is hard work, granted, but it's not impossible and it's definitely not the hardest A-level out there (in my opinion). Physics.. well.. it helps if you have natural mathematical ability and are confident with dealing with equations, sometimes trig, rearranging things etc and Maths at A-level definitely helps. It's not a must to do it alongside Physics, but the people in my Physics class for example that didn't do Maths found it a bit more difficult that us, but just like Maths, it's all about practice.

So if you enjoy Maths.. I would say, take it.

Thankyou for your response :smile: I want to study Law at University (hence why I'm taking Literature). At GCSE I'm currently on a A Grade but that's with not a lot of revision. However I feel that you need a really natural grasp of it to study it at A-Level? I'm also currently on an A in History but I do get A*s in the exams, it's just the coursework which drags my grade back. Thirdly, I love the idea of Philosophy since I'm a very deep thinker, so perhaps it'll come naturally to me however I haven't really got a feel of the course so I suppose that's the thing which makes me doubt that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Please help!

It's all about UMS. You need to find a balance between which you think you can get the highest UMS in, which the University wants you to do and which you find interesting.

Usually the last two are linked. If they're not, you're doing the wrong course.
Please help!

If you want to do Physics and Maths then don't listen to what other people say. If you generally enjoy these subjects then it shouldn't be hard for you
Reply 5
Hello for Law take history politics law o history one Language law
Thankyou for your response :smile: I want to study Law at University (hence why I'm taking Literature). At GCSE I'm currently on a A Grade but that's with not a lot of revision. However I feel that you need a really natural grasp of it to study it at A-Level? I'm also currently on an A in History but I do get A*s in the exams, it's just the coursework which drags my grade back. Thirdly, I love the idea of Philosophy since I'm a very deep thinker, so perhaps it'll come naturally to me however I haven't really got a feel of the course so I suppose that's the thing which makes me doubt that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, lit does get more tough at A-level and you have to constantly be working on everything and being aware of how you can get those top grades, but if those 3 subjects are what you enjoy the most, then go for it. I suppose history is an option, as long as you think about what happened in the coursework and whether you can do better (an A is good, but for Cambridge you want to be looking at the top grades) and whether it interests you enough to do well in. And philosophy... I know people who've studied it and they said that it's not all that it was cracked up to be so... :dontknow:

But anyway, if you really like it, Maths, Physics and Lit is a perfectly good combination. Difficult, but ya know.. not impossible.
Reply 7
It's going to be a challenge of course. Maths isn't too hard IMO if you learn the methods, do the exercises in textbooks and all the past papers. You just have to get used to the style of the questions. I achieved an A in A-level Maths and I'm not naturally gifted at it, so for you to achieve an A/A* in Maths is very possible.

I really, really struggled with Physics though. It was by far the most difficult subject for me. It uses a lot of application and understanding and I struggled to grasp comprehension of the really difficult topics. Look at how low the grade boundaries are for achieving an A/A* in A-level Physics (particularly for A2 papers) - it's because some of the questions are so difficult that the majority of students get those questions wrong. In the end I got a B in A-level Physics and I guess I was satisfied with that. However that was just my own personal experience and you shouldn't let that put you off. If you're passionate about the subject and you're good at the subject, by all means, it possible to get an A/A* in that too.

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, lit does get more tough at A-level and you have to constantly be working on everything and being aware of how you can get those top grades, but if those 3 subjects are what you enjoy the most, then go for it. I suppose history is an option, as long as you think about what happened in the coursework and whether you can do better (an A is good, but for Cambridge you want to be looking at the top grades) and whether it interests you enough to do well in. And philosophy... I know people who've studied it and they said that it's not all that it was cracked up to be so... :dontknow:

But anyway, if you really like it, Maths, Physics and Lit is a perfectly good combination. Difficult, but ya know.. not impossible.

Hm.. In what way? I've heard that it's not even mostly on your opinion but more so on other opinions etc. Then yes, perhaps Philosophy is not the topic for me xD Is there some sort of national scale that compares different subjects to see which I know I could get the best in? I think I most definitely want to take English Literature but ashamedly I can't make up my mind about the rest and I have to make a decision soon! I know everyone says that Cambridge doesn't really concentrate on what you take but there must be some sort of bias of options? for example someone who takes Art who wants to do Law.
I'm also considering the Extended Project as I believe it has UMS and is highly regarded.

This is very much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by eden3
It's going to be a challenge of course. Maths isn't too hard IMO if you learn the methods, do the exercises in textbooks and all the past papers. You just have to get used to the style of the questions. I achieved an A in A-level Maths and I'm not naturally gifted at it, so for you to achieve an A/A* in Maths is very possible.

I really, really struggled with Physics though. It was by far the most difficult subject for me. It uses a lot of application and understanding and I struggled to grasp comprehension of the really difficult topics. Look at how low the grade boundaries are for achieving an A/A* in A-level Physics (particularly for A2 papers) - it's because some of the questions are so difficult that the majority of students get those questions wrong. In the end I got a B in A-level Physics and I guess I was satisfied with that. However that was just my own personal experience and you shouldn't let that put you off. If you're passionate about the subject and you're good at the subject, by all means, it possible to get an A/A* in that too.

:smile:

Sorry to hear that you struggled with Physics, but at the end of the day a B is pretty good too! To be honest I'm not sure what I'm naturally gifted at, the most passion I've had for a subject is Law but I've decided to not take that at A-Level. Is there a way to distinguish different learners to different subjects who normally get the best results? For example deep-thinking people, visual and fact learners etc..
Thankyou very much!
Reply 10
Original post by zXcodeXz
If you want to do Physics and Maths then don't listen to what other people say. If you generally enjoy these subjects then it shouldn't be hard for you

Thankyou very much, I am honoured to hear from the green-haired Donald Trump himself :wink:
Hm.. In what way? I've heard that it's not even mostly on your opinion but more so on other opinions etc. Then yes, perhaps Philosophy is not the topic for me xD Is there some sort of national scale that compares different subjects to see which I know I could get the best in? I think I most definitely want to take English Literature but ashamedly I can't make up my mind about the rest and I have to make a decision soon! I know everyone says that Cambridge doesn't really concentrate on what you take but there must be some sort of bias of options? for example someone who takes Art who wants to do Law.
I'm also considering the Extended Project as I believe it has UMS and is highly regarded.

This is very much appreciated :biggrin:

I'm afraid I don't really know - you can always ask in the university of cambridge forum or contact them or something :tongue:

Remember that chances are you won't just be applying to cambridge, so I've looked at places like KCL and UCL and they don't seem to have any preferences either :iiam:

Anyway, yes. It's about giving the opinion of critics as well as analysing things through the viewpoint of different readers (eg a feminist).

Exam boards most likely have stats somewhere regarding performance in A-levels. If they do, take it with a pinch of salt and ultimately do what you enjoy most/think you'll do best in.

And I don't know a huge amount about EPQ either but it could help with your application :tongue:
x

If you want to study Law at Cambridge then any of the subjects you have mentioned would be perfectly acceptable.

If you prefer History to, say, Physics, it would be beneficial for you to take History instead. Do consider the fact that you are taking two science/mathematical subjects but only one humanities subject, and law is a humanities degree - this is up to you, but it may be better for you to take two humanities subjects instead (i.e. History).
In the end, if you want to go to Cambridge, pick the subjects you will do best in.

With the Extended Project, it can be beneficial to an extent, but not massively so (I did it a year early but everyone in my class was in Year 13, so I cannot say how doing the EPQ has helped me with University - I will be applying this September - but only how it helped my classmates). Some people did get lowered offers when predicted an A in the EPQ, but this is rare and only for some Universities. It helps as you'll have something to discuss in your Personal Statement/at interview, and some Universities will be kind if you miss out on your offer by one grade in Year 13 but have a decent grade in the EPQ.
If you feel you have the spare time, then definitely take it - but don't put pressure on yourself to do so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I haven't read every response so apologies if you've already said but why do you want to take Physics/Maths if you plan on doing Law at uni? There is of course absolutely nothing wrong with taking these subjects even if you want to do law but if you are having serious doubts about them, then do not take them, as you might regret it!! Yes, maths and physics are very difficult, I am currently taking them, but I can imagine English Lit being very hard too, they are difficult in their own ways. I would personally recommend taking more essay based subjects if that is your passion and future plan at uni, but you may want to take Maths too and drop it after your first year at AS (if you still can!), as it can still be a useful AS level to have.
Reply 14
I wanted to do them subjects and spoke to my physics teacher about it. She told me that its a good combination to take because the maths used in physics is more advanced than GCSE Physics and GCSE Maths. She told me that one of her students really struggled with physics because of how complicated the maths was. However i believe its own personal choice. You need to feel confident that your going to do well and a main part of that is thinking if your actually going to enjoy them subjects. There is no point taking a subject you don't enjoy because you won't want to put in the extra work.
Thankyou very much, I am honoured to hear from the green-haired Donald Trump himself :wink:

Haha, your welcome! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by celloel
If you want to study Law at Cambridge then any of the subjects you have mentioned would be perfectly acceptable.

If you prefer History to, say, Physics, it would be beneficial for you to take History instead. Do consider the fact that you are taking two science/mathematical subjects but only one humanities subject, and law is a humanities degree - this is up to you, but it may be better for you to take two humanities subjects instead (i.e. History).
In the end, if you want to go to Cambridge, pick the subjects you will do best in.

With the Extended Project, it can be beneficial to an extent, but not massively so (I did it a year early but everyone in my class was in Year 13, so I cannot say how doing the EPQ has helped me with University - I will be applying this September - but only how it helped my classmates). Some people did get lowered offers when predicted an A in the EPQ, but this is rare and only for some Universities. It helps as you'll have something to discuss in your Personal Statement/at interview, and some Universities will be kind if you miss out on your offer by one grade in Year 13 but have a decent grade in the EPQ.
If you feel you have the spare time, then definitely take it - but don't put pressure on yourself to do so.

Hm.. Yes, I do understand where you're coming from. Ideally I would like to see my GCSE results and base my options from them but I don't know if it would be too late then. How many people's offers have been lowered? I suppose it could help as I could discuss something that I'm passionate about which could help me stand out.
Thankyou very much on your advice! :smile:
Hm.. Yes, I do understand where you're coming from. Ideally I would like to see my GCSE results and base my options from them but I don't know if it would be too late then. How many people's offers have been lowered? I suppose it could help as I could discuss something that I'm passionate about which could help me stand out.
Thankyou very much on your advice! :smile:

That's exactly what I did - when I saw I got an A* in History, I changed my choice from Sociology to History. Email your college/sixth form and ask them if this will be a possibility. Hopefully they will be accommodating :smile:

I only know of one - but they applied to Southampton University, and their general policy is if you get an A in the EPQ, you get an offer one grade lower (AAB becomes ABB offer for example). I don't know how many other Universities do this - but I have read on a couple that they may take a high grade into account if you miss your offer by one grade come August of Year 13.
Reply 18
Original post by MJS107
I haven't read every response so apologies if you've already said but why do you want to take Physics/Maths if you plan on doing Law at uni? There is of course absolutely nothing wrong with taking these subjects even if you want to do law but if you are having serious doubts about them, then do not take them, as you might regret it!! Yes, maths and physics are very difficult, I am currently taking them, but I can imagine English Lit being very hard too, they are difficult in their own ways. I would personally recommend taking more essay based subjects if that is your passion and future plan at uni, but you may want to take Maths too and drop it after your first year at AS (if you still can!), as it can still be a useful AS level to have.

See, initially Physics was my backup plan if my Law pathway fails. However, I would rather not do Physics if it's going to ruin my plan of going to Cambridge by not doing brilliantly in it. I like the subject, however I often make silly errors with my mathematics which could lead to a lower level. What's your personal opinion on the two subjects at A-Level?
Reply 19
When I started yr11 I was adamant on doing physics and maths, however I had a complete change of heart! My physics teacher and maths teacher were encouraging me to take them subjects but although in good at them I've lost the intrest I had in them. We've already had to hand in our options and I chose to do Business, Digital Media and English Lit to try and get me into the Marketing industry. I'm not sure if I'll change back to Physics and maths because like you I'm just not confident I'm going to do well! The problem with those subjects is you may be good at it at GCSE but ALevel is completely different and much harder and you never know if you'll be able to cope! 😖😫

Quick Reply

Latest