The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Seriously though they'd better make the C3 exam harder this year. Otherwise I'm protesting lol, literally same Qs different numbers every year. Well different numbers if you're lucky.

nope. I believe the exams officer at my school is still the chief examiner for c3 (or c4 cant remember). I believe he is 50% potato 50% sick coloured wall paper and 100% chump so I wouldnt get ur hopes up.
Original post by SamKeene
Thought it might have been (see my edit).

Good luck with whatever exams though :smile:

oh ok haha, thanks :smile:. Mainly step nowadays though :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
nope. I believe the exams officer at my school is still the chief examiner for c3 (or c4 cant remember). I believe he is 50% potato 50% sick coloured wall paper and 100% chump so I wouldnt get ur hopes up.

Damn haha, guess I'll have to memorise an interesting STEP Q beforehand and do that when I'm bored lol.
Damn haha, guess I'll have to memorise an interesting STEP Q beforehand and do that when I'm bored lol.

Yea it actually kills time, I did that in c1 last year. probably spent more time on that q than on the actual paper :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
Yea it actually kills time, I did that in c1 last year. probably spent more time on that q than on the actual paper :tongue:

You were doing STEP Qs last year too? Lol when I first sat C1 I didn't understand half the topics, half of my answers were just application of algorithms. Didn't even understand how completing the square worked XD.
(edited 7 years ago)
You were doing STEP Qs last year too? Lol when I first sat C1 I didn't understand half the topics, half of my answers were just application of algorithms. Didn't even understand how completing the square worked XD.

lol yea but it was only step I and i was pretty slow. probably wouldve only got a lowish 2 if id taken it last year.
done two mocks today can siklos claim me as sacrifice yet?
Is Grade 2 easy to achieve? I'm so nervous about the STEP II on the 16th ......panicking ...
Is S,S easy to achieve
Original post by Number Nine
done two mocks today can siklos claim me as sacrifice yet?

Nah he only sacrifices goats.

That is if they've been tied to the side of a square barn of side length 2a.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Nah he only sacrifices goats.

That is if they've been tied to the side of a square barn of side length 2a.

Posted from TSR Mobile

feels like years since i did that question but it was only 4 months ago crikey
Original post by betterthanbarbs
Is Grade 2 easy to achieve? I'm so nervous about the STEP II on the 16th ......panicking ...

yes if you relax now you will not be as tense for the real exam

Original post by gasfxekl
Is S,S easy to achieve

yes got it last week compelted it
Doing STEP II 2015 tomorrow, hope it goes well :redface:
Slightly regretting not applying to Trinity, who apparently only require a 1 in STEP I for CompSci with Maths. My life would be so chill without the horrors of STEP III (OTOH I'd then die from the maths tripos if I got in).
Original post by Number Nine
yes got it last week compelted it

lolwut

Original post by sweeneyrod
Slightly regretting not applying to Trinity, who apparently only require a 1 in STEP I for CompSci with Maths. My life would be so chill without the horrors of STEP III (OTOH I'd then die from the maths tripos if I got in).

yeah and Trinity's crap soooo why would you want to apply there anyway?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, could you please have a look since you are the only one i know who has done 2015 step 1, thank you :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by charlielao
Hello, could you please have a look since you are the only one i know who has done 2015 step 1, thank you :smile:

Spoiler

@Zacken @Renzhi10122 @Krollo @physicsmaths also have
Original post by charlielao

Spoiler

This line requires parity considerations I believe.
Reason being is you can't just arbitrarily pair off terms and use the proven result (ii). You need to consider how the terms pair off in the middle.
That's why the ms approach was a bit more complicated.
Reply 418
STEP II 1992 Q1

(iii) Don't get this one. Solutions say it's 0, which yeah ok at first glance you'd think that, but I thought sinxx\dfrac{\sin x}{x} becomes a 00\dfrac{0}{0} indeterminate form every 2π2\pi and so it appears that we do not have:

'for every ϵ>0  N\epsilon >0\ \exists\ N such that f(x)<ϵ x>N|f(x)|<\epsilon\ \forall x>N.

Now I don't know whether there is a subtle extension to this limit to infinity definition that takes into account the domain of the function but I would think that this shows that the limit doesn't exist, which is what I put.

Also I have to say the last limit (vi) was really tough especially after than many easy limits.

The limit does indeed exist.

Take e>0. For any positive x, |f(x)| <= 2pi/x. Now choose N=2pi/e so that for all x>N, we have | f(x) | <= 2pi/x < e. Done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This line requires parity considerations I believe.
Reason being is you can't just arbitrarily pair off terms and use the proven result (ii). You need to consider how the terms pair off in the middle.
That's why the ms approach was a bit more complicated.

Thank you for your response, I finally understand the way marksheme uses. but I didn't pair up anything as in the marksheme though. Could you please take a look again since I made it a bit clearer for what i did. Or do I have to do exactly the same as the markscheme to get any mark.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending