The Student Room Group

Does this amount sound right?

Just recieved the amount i am going to be getting for my maintenance loan and i believe it is very low, my parents income is somewhere around £33,000 and i have am supposed to get a maintenance loan of £3,821 does this honestly sound right? not studying in london and its also for the 2016/17 academic year.
I guess you are not having accommodation. I am roughly getting 6k for the year including grants and maintenance for my accommodation my parents have the same income roughly too.
Reply 2
i am going to be in university accommodation, so i guess i should be contacting student finance about this, i had believed it was going to be somewhere around £6,000.
Sounds a bit low. Have your parents both sent financial information?
Reply 4
There must have been a mistake somewhere. Were your parents means assessed? That sounds like the minimum without means assessment so maybe you did tick to be assessed for the extra loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It doesn't sound like the income-assessed element has been added yet. If your parents haven't provided their financial information yet, or have only done do recently, then you can expect that amount to go up.

If your parents haven't been asked gor their information, phone SF and find out whether you have taken the option to be income-assessed. If you didn't they can amend your applixation so that the process is triggered.
Reply 6
Original post by urbanlocations
I guess you are not having accommodation. I am roughly getting 6k for the year including grants and maintenance for my accommodation my parents have the same income roughly too.

Where you will be living has no bearing on how much money you get. SF takes no account of your outgoings and for under-25s, just uses your household income.
Original post by Klix88
Where you will be living has no bearing on how much money you get. SF takes no account of your outgoings and for under-25s, just uses your household income.

Yes they do... your accommodation effects your pay.
Reply 8
Original post by urbanlocations
Yes they do... your accommodation effects your pay.

You get more if you go to uni in London than you do outside London, but that's all. That isn't specifically linked to the cost of your accommodation - it's just an acknowledgement that living costs generally are higher in London than elsewhere. Other than that, your Maintenance Loan is not related to the cost of your accommodation.
Reply 9
My parents have been assessed on their income tax, well they have sent their stuff to be assessed, should it say whether the £3821 is based upon that? as i believe my mothers was delayed so maybe that could be the issue? either way ill contact student finance to make sure. thanks guys
It's possible that you haven't been assessed just yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending