The Student Room Group

I know two people who applied to do Medicine at Bristol...

Scroll to see replies

Cheers bud. Saw something similar on Student BMJ so just curious!
Original post by Helenia
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65346673 The whole thread is worth a read though, if it's something you're worried about.
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, I understand why he got it. But its kinda sad because she worked so much harder than him for this ( quite clearly can be seen through her grades)

Oh, so only focusing on grades means she's worked harder? The dude who's played sports and kept up with extracurricular activities has also worked 'hard', that's an unfair comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so this one guy got 6As, 1A* and 3Bs at GCSE and he got ABB at AS level. ( I dont know what he is predicted for A level probably AAB?)
I have a friend who got 8A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level and has been predicted 3 A*s and an A for A level.
They both applied to do medicine at bristol and they both got interviews;however my overly qualified friend has been rejected whereas the other guy who has got lower grades has been rejected?
How is this acceptable?
I mean I know my friend is the quiet, studious type and he is the banterous sporty type but that doesnt mean she will be a worse doctor than him?? I just dont quite get it and find it very unfair.

lol I don't think this is your friend it's probably you mad you didn't get in. It honestly isn't hard these days everyone gets in. People make it seem like an impossible task but it really isn't
Reply 43
Original post by Xenon17
lol I don't think this is your friend it's probably you mad you didn't get in. It honestly isn't hard these days everyone gets in. People make it seem like an impossible task but it really isn't

That's where you're wrong. A lot of people don't get into medicine the first time they apply for many different reasons. It's quite ignorant of you to say it's not hard and everyone gets in when this isn't true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenon17

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 21.59.08.png

Alright then bud xx
Reply 45
Original post by cbatothinkofone

Alright then bud xx

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cbatothinkofone

Alright then bud xx

I am sorry let me correct myself everyone who has what it takes will get in.
Original post by z33
wait... wait... hold up
the guy got an offer for AAB?!
how did he not get 10 insta-rejections?! *___*
also be happy for him gawsh y yall be so salty
ur frend can try again next cycle :biggrin:

Bristol makes contextual offers for most subjects to applicants from schools that are on its annually-updated list of poorly-performing schools. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Hydeman
Bristol makes contextual offers for most subjects to applicants from schools that are on its annually-updated list of poorly-performing schools. St. George's does too, and they claim that they're willing to go as low as BBC, though I've never once heard of anyone receiving such an offer. :tongue:

BBC
FOR MEDICINE

*faints*

Where is this list i need to check if my schools on there :rofl:
Reply 49
Original post by Xenon17
I am sorry let me correct myself everyone who has what it takes will get in.

That's still wrong. Some people don't get in the first time. Get in the next year and make really good doctors.
It's not at all unfair. In fact I think that's a great example that while you need to be capable of getting good grades to study medicine and be a doctor, having stellar grades but interviewing badly isn't going to cut it. Doctors really need to have a strong mix of intelligence and also being personable and approachable. There is more to it than just academics and I actually find it quite encouraging that obviously they are happy to take someone who probably interviewed better despite not having the kind of 'top' grades people who apply to medicine usually have
Okay, I understand why he got it. But its kinda sad because she worked so much harder than him for this ( quite clearly can be seen through her grades)

Not necessarily...getting higher grades doesn't mean you worked harder. Some people are naturally more able at certain subjects. The person with better grades could just have a better natural aptitude for academia while not being the kind of person at interview that medicine schools want to take on as a future doctor. My best friend is incredibly clever and got A*A*AA in her A levels, A*s in maths and psychology, she barely did any work. She's just very smart (and as it happens, is also studying medicine because she's the right kind of person as well as having the grades)
Original post by z33
BBC
FOR MEDICINE

*faints*

Where is this list i need to check if my schools on there :rofl:

For Bristol (whose contextual offer is AAB), this was the list for 2016 entry: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2016.pdf.

For St. George's, it appears that the policy has been discontinued after 2016, since the entry requirements listed on their UCAS page for 2016 entry mention it, but go back and change the setting to 2017 entry and that paragraph disappears. There's nothing about it on their website either, so I retract my previous statement. :K:
Reply 53
Original post by Hydeman
For Bristol (whose contextual offer is AAB), this was the list for 2016 entry: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2016.pdf.

For St. George's, it appears that the policy has been discontinued after 2016, since the entry requirements listed on their UCAS page for 2016 entry mention it, but go back and change the setting to 2017 entry and that paragraph disappears. There's nothing about it on their website either, so I retract my previous statement. :K:

Noooooooooo its not there :cry:
REALLY :eek: man! I shudda applied this past cycle i knew it :lol:
Oh well
Its fine
Didnt wanna do med anyway :hand:
Reply 54
Original post by GlitterandGold-x
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you had a close friend or family member who had near perfect grades, as well as compassion and determination, who missed out on a place to someone with worse grades, you might feel differently.

I like you, you seem like an understanding person :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ForestCat
I probably wouldn't because I understand that is the way medicine works. But also, you don't know anything else about that other person. They may have been volunteering since they were 13. Or been sole carer for a sick parent. Or simply have excellent communication skills and had a wonderful interview where they clearly articulated why they wanted to do medicine and what skills they had that will help make them a great doctor.

I know both of them pretty well and I can assure you this guy is nothing like you're describing him out to be :L
Reply 56
I know both of them pretty well and I can assure you this guy is nothing like you're describing him out to be :L

I also like to point out my friend who got 3A*s and 8A*s at GCSE e.t.c, she did volunteer work in the hospital in the Philippines, she also did the same in lourdes. She did lots of work experience in the hospital and she does a lot for charity. Oh yeah, she helps out at the local school for children with disabilities for three years running.

And the other guy... welll... lets say he hasnt done anything comparable to that. I mean sure he has done work experience in the hospital, has a job as a life-guard and plays rugby in his spare time, but hey ho.
Original post by ForestCat
It will be down to their interviews.

Welcome to the world of medicine applications.

I agree but also work experience. They love work experience apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I agree but also work experience. They love work experience apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if they both got to the interview stage, they both probably had adequate work experience. Once it gets to the interview stage it is generally down to interview performance from then on.

If you say so. But they must have performed better at interview.

Its just the way medicine applications work. Not everyone can get a place, no matter how good their grades may be. Often it comes down to luck (there is a fair amount of this in the UKCAT) and how well you put yourself across in interviews (or ******** your way through, and believe me this definitely happens).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending