The Student Room Group

Can lucid dreaming be dangerous + how do you do it?

So I have heard about lucid dreaming recently. It is basically where you are aware you are dreaming whilst in a dream and you can control your dream, but you're still technically in REM phase and asleep.

I've always wanted to do it, who wouldn't want to control their own dream, but I've tried all sort of methods and it doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced a lucid dream before and do you have any advice on how to get into one?

Also I've heard that lucid dreaming can result in sleep paralysis, when you wake up but you cannot move any muscles for a few minutes and you experience severe and from what I've read, horrific, hallucinations. Is this common with lucid dreaming or is it nothing to worry about?

I do remember having one lucid dream by accident, although I woke up as soon as I realised I was dreaming, probably out of excitement.

Scroll to see replies

Don't do it.
You may as well @ all the djinns in ur room and invite them to come sleep in ur bed.
Original post by Proximo
So I have heard about lucid dreaming recently. It is basically where you are aware you are dreaming whilst in a dream and you can control your dream, but you're still technically in REM phase and asleep.

I've always wanted to do it, who wouldn't want to control their own dream, but I've tried all sort of methods and it doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced a lucid dream before and do you have any advice on how to get into one?

Also I've heard that lucid dreaming can result in sleep paralysis, when you wake up but you cannot move any muscles for a few minutes and you experience severe and from what I've read, horrific, hallucinations. Is this common with lucid dreaming or is it nothing to worry about?

I do remember having one lucid dream by accident, although I woke up as soon as I realised I was dreaming, probably out of excitement.

I can't remember but was it you that asked about lucid dreaming on another thread??
Original post by Proximo

My mum is pretty spiritual (controversial but not in the mood for arguing her case) so shes brought myself and my siblings up being really in contact with our dreams. This is as simple as keeping dream diaries, talking about dreams and just comparing dreams tbh- pretty easy

So I grew up thinking this was the norm from writing down my cute dreams about soap stars appearing in my picnics etc and only just realizing in my dreams I do have control of my actions! This isn't anything crazy like literally living in your dream and thinking ah cool gonna fly and eat 60000 calories worth of pretzels and sleep with the guy I like- it's more if there's a dilemma in the dream i.e someone breaking into my home, by simply thinking "would b better if I had a phone/gun/knife etc" and I turn to my side and its usually there

It's a gradual process- the older I get I see more in my dreams and can act more in my dreams e.g saying NOPE not now when having a dream about going to the toilet :tongue:

I haven't met anyone who can just control their dreams like a canvas and do what they want yet- but you can certainly work inside the dream and cope with whats happening if you try :u:
Original post by ImagineCats
My mum is pretty spiritual (controversial but not in the mood for arguing her case) so shes brought myself and my siblings up being really in contact with our dreams. This is as simple as keeping dream diaries, talking about dreams and just comparing dreams tbh- pretty easy

So I grew up thinking this was the norm from writing down my cute dreams about soap stars appearing in my picnics etc and only just realizing in my dreams I do have control of my actions! This isn't anything crazy like literally living in your dream and thinking ah cool gonna fly and eat 60000 calories worth of pretzels and sleep with the guy I like- it's more if there's a dilemma in the dream i.e someone breaking into my home, by simply thinking "would b better if I had a phone/gun/knife etc" and I turn to my side and its usually there

It's a gradual process- the older I get I see more in my dreams and can act more in my dreams e.g saying NOPE not now when having a dream about going to the toilet :tongue:

I haven't met anyone who can just control their dreams like a canvas and do what they want yet- but you can certainly work inside the dream and cope with whats happening if you try :u:

Wow that's great! I actually forgot to mention I also used to keep dream journal, every time I woke up, I wrote down the time and what the dream was. It was part of a lucid dreaming guide lol. Eventually I gave up, too much effort, which is disappointing Ik.

i think I want to meet your mum, she sounds interesting lol
Original post by alkaline.
Don't do it.
You may as well @ all the djinns in ur room and invite them to come sleep in ur bed.

I don't believe in that stuff, sorry. Is it an Islam thing? I remember I once went to an Islamic assembly where the speaker was giving a story about a friend's friend who had met a djinn, it was interesting and weird, but no offence, it wasn't very believable.

Original post by Banana208
I can't remember but was it you that asked about lucid dreaming on another thread??

Nope, that wasn't me
Reply 6
I did it once somehow, it was really cool
I heard sleep paralysis can be terrifying though
Reply 7
Original post by Proximo

I get them a lot. Some people believe that you can learn how to, google for tips, but personally, I don't even need to. It's not linked to sleep paralysis as far as I know. It's a separate issue.
I've done it once.That was like 5 yrs ago when I was really young.Never done it since and I don't know how I did it.
Original post by yoda123
I did it once somehow, it was really cool
I heard sleep paralysis can be terrifying though

Yea I admit I tried to induce it once but it didn't work lol, it's not dangerous or anything, no harm, it's just very scary. I read stuff like people see demons, messed up.

Original post by Ciel.
I get them a lot. Some people believe that you can learn how to, google for tips, but personally, I don't even need to. It's not linked to sleep paralysis as far as I know. It's a separate issue.

Problem is, I've looked at the tips on Google, none of them seem to work, I don't know if I'm not doing it right. Do you get them without trying?

I googled round a bit more, it seems that the two are linked
Original post by tamil fever
I've done it once.That was like 5 yrs ago when I was really young.Never done it since and I don't know how I did it.

Do you remember what you did in your dream?
Sleep paralysis is horrific, it was a side effect of a medication I used to be on. I wasn't allowed to stop taking the medication, so I got it every time I slept.
Sometimes it lasted for what felt like hours, I'd be lying on my side and completely unable to move and feel like someone was behind me and feel them touching me or worse (post trauma i suppose.). Or I'd be on my back and feel something, a creature, sitting on my chest, holding me down. I'd always be trying to scream, but it just wouldn't work. If there IS a risk of sleep paralysis, I strongly recommend you don't do it.

On the other hand, occasionally I have lucid dreams, I've had them since I was little. If I went to bed after doing something involving working up adrenaline that seemed to trigger it (ie scary horror movies). It happened more when I was younger because I got scared or excited before bed more often.
So what would happen in the dream is I would realise I'm dreaming and then (sounds weird) shoot up into the "sky" for a bit and feel that falling (or going up quickly) feeling. Then I would decide what I wanted to dream about - a time I can particularly remember was when I had to choose between islands to go on and adventures to have, and then I decided I was a mermaid. The dreams normally take a turn for the worse the more into them you get - you forget you're dreaming and they become very deep dreams which normally turn into nightmares. But yeah, I used to like it. You also have the option to wake up, which is cool, or bring yourself back into a different part of the dream.

If you find you lucid dream and then you get excited and wake up intermediately close your eyes and try and go back to sleep, calmly and kind of thinking of the dream.. I used to do that when I wanted to carry on where I left off.
Also a thing that triggered my lucid dreaming was researching it - so you're on the right path!!!
hope this helps somehow:smile::smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Proximo
Yea I admit I tried to induce it once but it didn't work lol, it's not dangerous or anything, no harm, it's just very scary. I read stuff like people see demons, messed up.

Problem is, I've looked at the tips on Google, none of them seem to work, I don't know if I'm not doing it right. Do you get them without trying?

I googled round a bit more, it seems that the two are linked

Yeah, without doing anything. I've had them since I was a kid. They used to be a lot more frequent when I wasn't on valium though. So they definitely have something to do with sleep phases, because apparently valium messes them up.
When it happens, suddenly, I realise that I can do anything I want, and I know I'm dreaming but I still don't wake up - I've had some bad experiences too, occasionally after some time I suddenly 'lose control' over the dream - it turns into a nightmare, I know it's a nightmare, and that I am asleep, but no matter what I do, I just can't wake up. I've been butchered about 5 times in a row on one occasion, and still didn't wake up, despite the fact that I really wanted to because it was actually painful.
I know there are some tricks with a clock - you need to find a clock in your dream, something to do with time standing still I think?
Original post by Proximo
Do you remember what you did in your dream?

it was a long time ago but I remember one thing.I was in a claustrophobic room and I was scared like ****.I am claustrophobic,you see. And then I closed my eyes in the dream and when I opened them I was flying over a city.It was really weird.
anyone had a dream where ur running and you feel the wind pushing u back?
Or have u died in any of your dreams?
Original post by powerpuffshol
Sleep paralysis is horrific, it was a side effect of a medication I used to be on. I wasn't allowed to stop taking the medication, so I got it every time I slept.
Sometimes it lasted for what felt like hours, I'd be lying on my side and completely unable to move and feel like someone was behind me and feel them touching me or worse (post trauma i suppose.). Or I'd be on my back and feel something, a creature, sitting on my chest, holding me down. I'd always be trying to scream, but it just wouldn't work. If there IS a risk of sleep paralysis, I strongly recommend you don't do it.

On the other hand, occasionally I have lucid dreams, I've had them since I was little. If I went to bed after doing something involving working up adrenaline that seemed to trigger it (ie scary horror movies). It happened more when I was younger because I got scared or excited before bed more often.
So what would happen in the dream is I would realise I'm dreaming and then (sounds weird) shoot up into the "sky" for a bit and feel that falling (or going up quickly) feeling. Then I would decide what I wanted to dream about - a time I can particularly remember was when I had to choose between islands to go on and adventures to have, and then I decided I was a mermaid. The dreams normally take a turn for the worse the more into them you get - you forget you're dreaming and they become very deep dreams which normally turn into nightmares. But yeah, I used to like it. You also have the option to wake up, which is cool, or bring yourself back into a different part of the dream.

If you find you lucid dream and then you get excited and wake up intermediately close your eyes and try and go back to sleep, calmly and kind of thinking of the dream.. I used to do that when I wanted to carry on where I left off.
Also a thing that triggered my lucid dreaming was researching it - so you're on the right path!!!
hope this helps somehow:smile::smile:

Thanks for the advice! Your dreams sound pretty epic, making me want a lucid dream even more!

Original post by Ciel.
Yeah, without doing anything. I've had them since I was a kid. They used to be a lot more frequent when I wasn't on valium though. So they definitely have something to do with sleep phases, because apparently valium messes them up.
When it happens, suddenly, I realise that I can do anything I want, and I know I'm dreaming but I still don't wake up - I've had some bad experiences too, occasionally after some time I suddenly 'lose control' over the dream - it turns into a nightmare, I know it's a nightmare, and that I am asleep, but no matter what I do, I just can't wake up. I've been butchered about 5 times in a row on one occasion, and still didn't wake up, despite the fact that I really wanted to because it was actually painful.
I know there are some tricks with a clock - you need to find a clock in your dream, something to do with time standing still I think?

Butchered five times? Jesus... I've never had anything that bad lol

I think I may have heard about that clock thing. I think it's something to do with doing things that make you aware of your senses. Like if you constantly rub your hands together, you'll do it in a dream and realise you can't feel it hence you realise you're dreaming
I had a weird scary dream a few days ago, someone was chasing me and I kept running but then I couldn't get away as I came to a dead end of a street, I then started trying to think of ways to escape and that's when I could get away as I realised I was dreaming so I forced myself to open my eyes just as that scary person was approaching me.
I had sleep paralysis for around a 30 secs after I opened my eyes but then forced my arms to move and as soon as I moved my arms my whole body relaxed and I could move

Spoiler

Scary experience
Original post by tamil fever
anyone had a dream where ur running and you feel the wind pushing u back?
Or have u died in any of your dreams?

Yeah I have sometimes died in dreams but the wind thing is exactly what happens to me! I'm trying to run but there is some kind of force making me in a really curved kind of way like a magnet repelling another magnet
Reply 18
Original post by Proximo
Thanks for the advice! Your dreams sound pretty epic, making me want a lucid dream even more!

Butchered five times? Jesus... I've never had anything that bad lol

I think I may have heard about that clock thing. I think it's something to do with doing things that make you aware of your senses. Like if you constantly rub your hands together, you'll do it in a dream and realise you can't feel it hence you realise you're dreaming

Yeah, can't guarantee if it will work, though. For me, I'm suddenly like, wait, something's not right, this isn't real, and that's all it takes. It's weird. Good luck!
In cases of sleep paralysis, how come most people always report seeing a demon like creature near them/sitting on their chest? :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending