The Student Room Group

English Language Grade boundaries

Looking at the recent grade boundaries, it seems that it has been getting easier and easier to get higher grades from the exam alone.

For the controlled assessment I got 58 which a B

For exam practice papers I've been getting 55-60 which is between an A* and an A
Since the exam is 60% and the controlled assessments 40% what will I most likely get overall ?

Are my assumptions wrong?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF
Reply 1
Ah mate funny that, I got 58 for my AQA ENGLISH LANGUAGE Coursework too, which as you said is a B.

However, it is sad to inform you that it is not possible for us to get an A*...

How do I know this?

Well my english teacher, who is also the head of the English department, has a spreadsheet calculator which counts all the marks achieved in coursework and the amount of marks needed to get a grade.

The lowest I need (likely to be the same as you) is 55 to achieve an A, and that unfortunately is the highest I/we are able to get..

So yeah.
Reply 2
Original post by Argo00
Ah mate funny that, I got 58 for my AQA ENGLISH LANGUAGE Coursework too, which as you said is a B.

However, it is sad to inform you that it is not possible for us to get an A*...

How do I know this?

Well my english teacher, who is also the head of the English department, has a spreadsheet calculator which counts all the marks achieved in coursework and the amount of marks needed to get a grade.

The lowest I need (likely to be the same as you) is 55 to achieve an A, and that unfortunately is the highest I/we are able to get..

So yeah.

Wait, why would 55 be the highest that we would both be able to get? I'll be alright with an A or B. Are you doing English Unit 3 or English language unit 3English Lang.JPG

Just making sure.
Reply 3
Original post by TSAntidote
Wait, why would 55 be the highest that we would both be able to get? I'll be alright with an A or B. Are you doing English Unit 3 or English language unit 3English Lang.JPG

Just making sure.

Its because the coursework itself is 40%. They combine the coursework score with the score in order to achieve a certain grade in the other 60% of the test and then some calculations are made.

I am not totally sure the difference between English Unit 3 and English Language Unit 3 but I will give you some information regarding this:

* I do English Language 4705
* I do AQA English Language
* If I did my English GCSE last year, I would have done the paper which had inserts on Child Labour, and the title in source two was: "Admit it. You love cheap clothes and you dont care about child labour", and finally source three was about a lady travelling through Bombay.

Hopefully this will give you a greater insight.
Any idea what would be required for an A or for an A* if you got 67/80 in the coursework?
Reply 5
Original post by Argo00
Its because the coursework itself is 40%. They combine the coursework score with the score in order to achieve a certain grade in the other 60% of the test and then some calculations are made.

I am not totally sure the difference between English Unit 3 and English Language Unit 3 but I will give you some information regarding this:

* I do English Language 4705
* I do AQA English Language
* If I did my English GCSE last year, I would have done the paper which had inserts on Child Labour, and the title in source two was: "Admit it. You love cheap clothes and you dont care about child labour", and finally source three was about a lady travelling through Bombay.

Hopefully this will give you a greater insight.

It does, thank you. We're doing the same thing
Reply 6
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Any idea what would be required for an A or for an A* if you got 67/80 in the coursework?

Most likely 55-60, should speak to your teacher tomorrow about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending