The Student Room Group

Difference between assimilation and substitution in child language acquisition?

Original post by BrownieLover

Substitution is when the child substitutes harder sounds with easier ones. So "r" (as in rock or story) becomes "w" like "wock" and "stowy".

Assimilation is the process that illustrates how some sounds change because of other words around them.
Take "gog" and "babbit" for example. So, in both cases, the first consonant sound has been influenced by the second. So, "doggie" becomes "goggie" and "rabbit" becomes "babbit"

So basically the child has taken the sound of the second syllable and used it with the first. So "gog" from "gie" in "doggie" and "ba" from "bbit" in "rabbit".

Another way of looking at it is if you say when different (consonant) sounds in a word are pronounced the same way such as "dog" becoming "gog". (the child has taken the "guh" sound from "g" and replaced the "duh" sounds from "d".

So, I'd say the only difference is that with assimilation, you should only apply it if the sound is of a consonant utter, rather than an assonance. Whereas substitution can happen with any sounds.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Can you please tell me the difference between deletion and consonant cluster reduction?

Yeah I noticed that, but I feel as though I'm just doing your homework or revision for you.

What do you need help with?
Reply 3
Thank you, this is very helpful. Can you please tell me the difference between deletion and consonant cluster reduction?

Deletion generally occurs at the end of a word so that final consonants are deleted to make production of the word simpler , so that "boat" sounds like "bow" when final consonant (t) is deleted . So a CVC word is reduced to CV . Cluster reduction is the process of 2 or more consonants occurring together , as in "plane" (CCVC) and reducing the cluster of 2 consonants "pl.." To a single one -( CVC) "pane" . Think of "spoon" (poon), "spider/purer" etc .
Original post by Cat oh
Deletion generally occurs at the end of a word so that final consonants are deleted to make production of the word simpler , so that "boat" sounds like "bow" when final consonant (t) is deleted . So a CVC word is reduced to CV . Cluster reduction is the process of 2 or more consonants occurring together , as in "plane" (CCVC) and reducing the cluster of 2 consonants "pl.." To a single one -( CVC) "pane" . Think of "spoon" (poon), "spider/purer" etc .

SO is the main difference that with deletion, it's one consonant but with consonant cluster reduction, it's two or more?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Substitution is when the child substitutes harder sounds with easier ones. So "r" (as in rock or story) becomes "w" like "wock" and "stowy".

Assimilation is the process that illustrates how some sounds change because of other words around them.
Take "gog" and "babbit" for example. So, in both cases, the first consonant sound has been influenced by the second. So, "doggie" becomes "goggie" and "rabbit" becomes "babbit"

So basically the child has taken the sound of the second syllable and used it with the first. So "gog" from "gie" in "doggie" and "ba" from "bbit" in "rabbit".

Another way of looking at it is if you say when different (consonant) sounds in a word are pronounced the same way such as "dog" becoming "gog". (the child has taken the "guh" sound from "g" and replaced the "duh" sounds from "d".

So, I'd say the only difference is that with assimilation, you should only apply it if the sound is of a consonant utter, rather than an assonance. Whereas substitution can happen with any sounds.

This is a great explanantion!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending