The Student Room Group

Why are old people allowed to vote on the EU referendum?

Surely it's going to effect younger people thousands of times more than it will very old people? I don't think it should have the same weighting, they're just thinking emotively whereas we have to consider how it would actually affect our futures.

Scroll to see replies

Yes everyone has the right to vote.

Plus older people are considered more wise so should really be making better decisions.
Because a majority of them has contributed massively to this economy thus deserve a vote more than a majority of people in this country if anything?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Surely it's going to effect younger people thousands of times more than it will very old people? I don't think it should have the same weighting, they're just thinking emotively whereas we have to consider how it would actually affect our futures.

:facepalm: :facepalm:
you dense human being :facepalm:
Reply 5
Well considering that most of them voted into joining the EU to start with. They have witnessed first hand how the EU has changed.
This is stupid.

"Why does everyone have the right to vote?"

"Because everyone has the right to vote!!!!"

No. That's not a reason.

Except that a far greater proportion of the younger generation is better educated.............
Absolutely ******ed post, go find something better to do than whining about why everyone is allowed to vote and not a specific group.
Reply 8
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Democracy. Nuff said.
Original post by Themini
Democracy. Nuff said.

Idiocracy more like.
You can find hideously uninformed people from all generations. It is definitely not just young people.
Original post by JordanL_
Idiocracy more like.
elaborate mein furher :smile:.
Here's one for you, so do you believe you're superior to old people and have more right to vote than someone who probably served in WW2 and helped create the society in which you now live in? b**** please. Everyone has a right to vote. That's what seperates us from North Korea.

Just look at Kim jong il.. I mean just look at him...Who would want to be oppressed by someone that looks like that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
elaborate mein furher :smile:.
Here's one for you, so do you believe you're superior to old people and have more right to vote than someone who probably served in WW2 and helped create the society in which you now live in? b**** please. Everyone has a right to vote. That's what seperates us from North Korea.

Just look at Kim jong il.. I mean just look at him...Who would want to be oppressed by someone that looks like that?

I think people that know what they're talking about should have more of a say than people whose entire education comes from reading the Daily Mail and watching Coronation Street. But how absurd. We should leave incredibly complex decisions to the obscenely uninformed masses, because stupid people always make the best decisions, don't they???
I don't think this referendum should be occurring in the first place. Representative democracy exists because of the understanding that experts are in a better position to make important decisions than the comparatively uninformed general population.
I think people that know what they're talking about should have more of a say than people whose entire education comes from reading the Daily Mail and watching Coronation Street. But how absurd. We should leave incredibly complex decisions to the obscenely uninformed masses, because stupid people always make the best decisions, don't they???

So who decides who is allowed to vote? Using your logic...I guess you believe that the elite, Oxbridge educated definitely get things right...I mean look at the invasion of Iraq, what an amazing decision it was for our highly educated, heads of state to go in against public opinion. I mean Iraq is a gleaming model of western democracy... I think the british public know what they're doing. Don't panic :wink:. Old people know how to sort things out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Yes everyone has the right to vote.

Plus older people are considered more wise so should really be making better decisions.

More like outdated, very narrow-minded decisions.
Original post by Themini
Yes because the elite definitely get things right...I mean look at the invasion of Iraq, what an amazing decision it was for our highly educated, heads of state to go in against public opinion. I mean Iraq is a gleaming model of western democracy...
You arguments don't make much sense...lol.

The invasion of Iraq by our democratically elected government.

I don't really understand how you can seriously argue that uninformed people make good decisions. Do you want to hold a public referendum to decide how much fuel NASA put in their rockets? Everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!!!
The invasion of Iraq by our democratically elected government.

I don't really understand how you can seriously argue that uninformed people make good decisions. Do you want to hold a public referendum to decide how much fuel NASA put in their rockets? Everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!!!

10/10 because how much fuel NASA uses affects everyone....>.>. The decision will affect old people's pensions (their life line) so people will vote wisely.If you want to see what happens when uninformed people vote..have a look at the TRUMP fest going on in the USA. The very fact that the British people wont even look at Farage shows that we know what we're doing. Calm down man. It'll be fine.

Keep calm and drink Tea :smile:
Original post by Themini
10/10 because how much fuel NASA uses affects everyone....>.>. The decision will affect old people's pensions (their life line) so people will vote wisely.If you want to see what happens when uninformed people vote..have a look at the TRUMP fest going on in the USA. The very fact that the British people wont even look at Farage shows that we know what we're doing. Calm down man. It'll be fine.

Keep calm and drink Tea :smile:

Then a different example - should we have a referendum to decide what policies we should implement to prevent greenhouse gas emissions? That will affect all of us, but if we decided that democratically I have a feeling we'd decide to do whatever's cheapest. "Climate change prevention costs us £55 million a week, we could put that toward the NHS!"

I disagree about Farage. UKIP is the most successful third party we've had for, probably, decades. The only reason they don't have loads of seats is because of our atrocious (although fortunate, in this case) voting system.
This is stupid.

"Why does everyone have the right to vote?"

"Because everyone has the right to vote!!!!"

No. That's not a reason.

Except that a far greater proportion of the younger generation is better educated.............

Except that they're not:

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ic-skills-oecd

“You do have to conclude that young people are not any better skilled… than people in the older generation"--Andreas Schleicher, OECD.

Young people have far more credentials than their parents and grandparents but they aren't any better, in fact the evidence is that they're worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending