The Student Room Group

Advice for Sixth Form?

Hi, I've applied to two sixth forms and wanted advice on which one to go to:
First school:
Options: History, English Lit, Law & Government and Politics
Second school: History, English Lit, Psychology, Economics
This school is a really good, professional one, whilst the first one is like a normal school.
Which one do i choose?! I want to do a degree to do with law or something like that, so which school should i pick? Thanks for any advice!!
Original post by PATDLOL
First school:
This school is a really good, professional one, whilst the first one is like a normal school.
Which one do i choose?! I want to do a degree to do with law or something like that, so which school should i pick? Thanks for any advice!!

2nd simply because when applying for Law at uni, universities prefer and highly recommend students to have ZERO prior knowledge of law because they despise how law is taught at A-level. So I'd stay well clear for that subject if you want to study law at uni.

I'd go for the 2nd one again, because I wish I did Psychology at A-level! :P
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
2nd simply because when applying for Law at uni, universities prefer and highly recommend students to have ZERO prior knowledge of law because they despise how law is taught at A-level. So I'd stay well clear for that subject if you want to study law at uni.

Not true. Doing Law at A-level won't affect OP's chance of getting an offer from a top university for Law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Not true. Doing Law at A-level won't affect OP's chance of getting an offer from a top university for Law.

I never said OP would not get an offer.

I merely said universities prefer students who apply to study Law to not have studied it at A-level.

That was all.
I never said OP would not get an offer.

I merely said universities prefer students who apply to study Law to not have studied it at A-level.

That was all.

Not criticising your advice, fair enough law isn't as facilitating as can be, but suggesting to 'stay well clear for that subject' perhaps wasn't the best thing to say? :redface:
Not criticising your advice, fair enough law isn't as facilitating as can be, but suggesting to 'stay well clear for that subject' perhaps wasn't the best thing to say? :redface:

At uni when studying Law, simply all lectures tell you if you studied it at A-level forget everything you have been taught because it is taught wrong (according to some universities). So I believe the most logical reason to think they say this is because they want students to have a fresh understanding of the discipline instead of being confused.

Unis won't discriminate (so they say). "But yeah, in my opinion, looking for an alternative subject might be something to consider" is how I should have said it.
At uni when studying Law, simply all lectures tell you if you studied it at A-level forget everything you have been taught because it is taught wrong (according to some universities). So I believe the most logical reason to think they say this is because they want students to have a fresh understanding of the discipline instead of being confused.

Unis won't discriminate (so they say). "But yeah, in my opinion, looking for an alternative subject might be something to consider" is how I should have said it.

True, I agree with you. But if someone wants to do law A-level they should! I am doing law in spite of knowing that - for lack of a better option tbh.
Reply 7
True, I agree with you. But if someone wants to do law A-level they should! I am doing law in spite of knowing that - for lack of a better option tbh.

Yes but if they want do a law degree it's better to replace the AS Law with something like biology
Original post by Yua
Yes but if they want do a law degree it's better to replace the AS Law with something like biology

Hmm. I had offers from a few good universities for law and I did law A-level; there's really no merit in OP forcing themselves to do a subject that they won't particularly like to do. :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by PATDLOL
First school:

All advice I've ever heard says avoid a level law when applying for law. A lot of top universities mention that they don't like it.
When you say the second school is a professional one and the first is 'normal' what do you mean? Is it that one is stricter or better?
So much goes into the decision. Look at quality of exam results, distance, leavers destinations and things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Original post by Yua

Original post by mliela
All advice I've ever heard says avoid a level law when applying for law. A lot of top universities mention that they don't like it.
When you say the second school is a professional one and the first is 'normal' what do you mean? Is it that one is stricter or better?
So much goes into the decision. Look at quality of exam results, distance, leavers destinations and things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you all for your replies, it's helped me have a clearer understanding of what to choose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest