The Student Room Group

Badly Need Advice Writing Essays

Hi.

Does anyone have any good links or resources that details exactly how to write a good history essay, maybe to a 2:1 standard? I got my recent 3rd year results back and I'll admit, they're pretty disappointing. This has been something I've struggled badly with since first year and unfortunately it's not getting better. I thought I'd finally got it this semester, but apparently it's no better than my previous disappointments. I could reeeaaally do with some guidance and direction. I've emailed my lecturers but they've not replied yet. Thanks so much!
Original post by Puny Earthling
Hi.

Does anyone have any good links or resources that details exactly how to write a good history essay, maybe to a 2:1 standard? I got my recent 3rd year results back and I'll admit, they're pretty disappointing. This has been something I've struggled badly with since first year and unfortunately it's not getting better. I thought I'd finally got it this semester, but apparently it's no better than my previous disappointments. I could reeeaaally do with some guidance and direction. I've emailed my lecturers but they've not replied yet. Thanks so much!

Try this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981

Thanks a lot! One thing it doesn't mention though is referencing. I know the lay-out, such as author, book, publisher, year, and so on, but when I see referencing done in actual real history books it doesn't just do this, it elaborates and is sometimes several sentences.

For example, one that I've found says:
"Detail on the international Vietnam conference can be found in Ingo Juchler, Die Studentenbewegung (Berlin, 1996), 257.".

Or another which is more elaborate:

"Interview with Lauch, Feb 10th 1999, in the Suhrenkamp Correctional Facility, Hamburg. In fact, it is highly probably that Lauck's marginal position within the American extreme right has been considerable strengthened by his arrest and the recognition it has brought him in right-wing circles."

I've always just been referencing in the way of author, book, publisher, etc. Should I be elaborating more like the examples above?
Reply 3
Original post by Puny Earthling
Thanks a lot! One thing it doesn't mention though is referencing. I know the lay-out, such as author, book, publisher, year, and so on, but when I see referencing done in actual real history books it doesn't just do this, it elaborates and is sometimes several sentences.

For example, one that I've found says:
"Detail on the international Vietnam conference can be found in Ingo Juchler, Die Studentenbewegung (Berlin, 1996), 257.".

Or another which is more elaborate:

"Interview with Lauch, Feb 10th 1999, in the Suhrenkamp Correctional Facility, Hamburg. In fact, it is highly probably that Lauck's marginal position within the American extreme right has been considerable strengthened by his arrest and the recognition it has brought him in right-wing circles."

I've always just been referencing in the way of author, book, publisher, etc. Should I be elaborating more like the examples above?

It depends what system you are using. The Harvard system is done in a certain way (author, initials (date), name of books in italics, place of publication: and name of publisher, and there is also an english way called footnotes, which puts the date at the end, and also can include descriptions/annotations, in the body of the text. But it is best to check with your lecturers/ library, the exact system they want, otherwise you will get marked down!
Hi,
When I had to write essays for course assignments, I didn't know how to start. Though there are a lot of custom essay writing services online, I didn't want to use them as I was afraid of being caught. They all are expensive too. While browsing, I stumbled upon two sites clearessays.com and justanswer.com where I could see model essays on my topic. Justanswer works as a Q & A tread, and unfortunately the thread was closed and the answer was locked. So I picked a model essay form clearessays.com. I then used the listed references and went through all those online resources . I used the model paper as a guide for making my own essay. The fact is that if you have average writing skills and time to spend, writing essays with a model paper as guide, is sufficient for better grades,
Although it may seem like a waste of time especially during exams where time is tight it is almost always better to brainstorm a bit before beginning your essay. This should enable you to find the best supporting ideas rather than simply the first ones that come to mind and position them in your essay accordingly.Your best supporting idea the one that most strongly makes your case and, simultaneously, about which you have the most knowledge should go first. Even the best-written essays can fail because of ineffectively placed arguments.For effective advice on essay writing: http://goo.gl/aWlEkf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I've recently found a great blog with informative articles on how to write good essays. Here is it - http://bid4papers.com/blog/ . It helped me a lot, when I was desperate to start writing my history essay. I really didn't know where to start from. This article saved my life:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Do you have a study skills centre at your university? Usually they or the library will provide extra support for students (you don't need to have dyslexia etc to get the help, my uni (UEA) run sessions on everything from effecting reading to referencing, perhaps yours does similar?

It might also be worth looking at automated referencing websites such as http://www.citethisforme.com/ if you really can't get the hang of your uni's referencing system.
I am not an expert,however, you may try Essayskills.comI've been hesitating a lot but now I've chosen my besties among all sites
And what to do if you do not have any time? PaperHelp.org helped me a lot with essays. I failed twice while writing in my own way(
The only thing I can recommend is Essayskills.con, cause I'm not a prof in writingmaybe it will help you

Quick Reply

Latest