The Student Room Group

Rising tuition fees

I can't be the only one seeing how hypocritical the government are being about this tuition fee increase?

They never said in their original manifesto that they were going to do this.The government responded to a petition to stop the increase here, where they claim it's only fair as £9000 in 2012 is only worth £8500 in real terms now. That's funny considering they promised that they were going to increase the repayment threshold in line with inflation, and then went back on that and have frozen it till at least April 2021, but now apparently increasing the fees with inflation is 'fair'. The £21,000 repayment threshold is now worth £19,700 in real terms, so that acts as a retrospective hike in repayment amounts (which is in reality more important than the actual price tag on the fees).

How can the government justify increasing the fees inline with inflation but not increasing the repayment threshold (especially as promised they were going to in the first place)? How sleazy are the government And also why do they always have to **** **** up for my year!

Opinions?
Reply 1
what are you studying and where?
Original post by Yua
what are you studying and where?

Well nothing yet. I will be 2017 entry, so it will be from my year that fees will rise. Current students and 2016 entry students are unaffected (for now).
Reply 3
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Well nothing yet. I will be 2017 entry, so it will be from my year that fees will rise. Current students and 2016 entry students are unaffected (for now).

you have no offers?
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
How can the government justify increasing the fees inline with inflation but not increasing the repayment threshold (especially as promised they were going to in the first place)? How sleazy are the government And also why do they always have to **** **** up for my year!

More tax cuts for the rich, that's all the justification they need.
Original post by Yua
you have no offers?

What no? I haven't applied yet. I'm 2017 entry which means I apply Autumn 2016.
Original post by JordanL_
More tax cuts for the rich, that's all the justification they need.

How would you define rich?
Original post by cherryred90s
How would you define rich?

Well, taxes for normal companies (not classified as small-profit companies, so the rich companies) have been cut by 8% in the last 5 years. Higher-rate capital gains tax, paid by the richest, was cut by 8%. Just two examples. And somehow people still don't understand why our government has no money...
Welcome to Tory Britain dude.
I mean the current fees system is ridiculous as it is. It has been shown that it will actually cost the government MORE money as it will write off the majority of the loans. Honestly it's a complete screw up and they've no idea what they are doing with regards to education.

Of course, I don't think they actually expected to get in for a second term, so this would have been Labour's problem by now. How were they to know that Ed would be so crap?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Welcome to Tory Britain dude.

According to OECD,we now pay the highest tuition fees in the industrialised world.
Original post by Kadak
According to OECD,we now pay the highest tuition fees in the industrialised world.

It's still not that bad considering we have the loan system, yes the rising fees are *****y (Universities milking student loans dry) but who cares when it basically works as a small tax on your extra earnings rather than a loan anyway.

if you were American it would be far worse, no debt wipes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending