The Student Room Group

Can i get into economics degree with maths further maths economics

This year im hoping for As in maths further maths and economics and a B in chemistry AS and hope to get an A*AA preidiction in maths further maths economics if i drop chem however i have heard some unis dont like maths and further maths
im thinking of ucl sheffield southampton manchester kings not lse or oxbridge or anything

Scroll to see replies

You are deluded my friend.
Maths+Further Maths is one of the best subjects to take if you are going into economics or something technical.
Did you know Cambridge(I know, you're not applying here) gives out offers for Economics using STEP III which is hardcore Further Maths? This shows that Maths+FM is very important for this degree. And please, don't think that Econ is like history or geography. It is a very technical subject(well, not like engineering) so FM is very important for you.
Your subject combination of Maths+FM+Econ is very good. Drop chem if you don't like
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingYusHalo
You are deluded my friend.
Maths+Further Maths is one of the best subjects to take if you are going into economics or something technical.
Did you know Cambridge(I know, you're not applying here) gives out offers for Economics using STEP III which is hardcore Further Maths? This shows that Maths+FM is very important for this degree. And please, don't think that Econ is like history or geography. It is a very technical subject(well, not like engineering) so FM is very important for you.
Your subject combination of Maths+FM+Econ is very good. Drop chem if you don't like

oh okay thanks but i have heard that some dont like you doing A2 maths further maths economics as they see maths as one subject ie lse says something like that for just economics as i wanna do bsc economics however i know it will be fine if i do economics and maths
I know someone a Loughborough who didn't even do economics at A level and got in. He got AAB i think.
He did Biology Maths and something else at A2
Original post by youreanutter
oh okay thanks but i have heard that some dont like you doing A2 maths further maths economics as they see maths as one subject ie lse says something like that for just economics as i wanna do bsc economics however i know it will be fine if i do economics and maths

That may be true for other subjects but BSc economics is not one of them.
Quite the contrary, without Further Maths your chances of Economics at a top university will be heavily impacted. Definitely take it to A2
Reply 7

That's only for other subjects such as humanities and social sciences.
Original post by kkboyk
That's only for other subjects such as humanities and social sciences.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx

it says

"Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. Thus a combination of Maths, Further Maths and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills."
Reply 9
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx

it says

"Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. Thus a combination of Maths, Further Maths and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills."

I thought you were applying for Maths and/with Economics. I
Original post by kkboyk
I thought you were applying for Maths and/with Economics. I

nope bsc econ
Reply 11
nope bsc econ

From what I've heard it's not necessary. I have a friend with four offers to do econ from top universities without a level further maths. Just make sure you check individual university entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
From what I've heard it's not necessary. I have a friend with four offers to do econ from top universities without a level further maths. Just make sure you check individual university entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no im doing further maths and econ next year
Reply 13

Oh sorry misunderstood. Probably not since when applying most universities don't see maths and further maths as separate. They will only make a confession if you're applying for maths I think. What was your fourth subject this year?

Honestly you should be fine for most places, but if I were you I'd call them up and ask. Also considering dropping chemistry after you get your offers to make your application look stronger, and even if normally they prefer 4 subjects for people taking further maths they're unlikely to take away an offer once they've already given it out - you'd have to call them up and tell them though. And if they have a problem with it, they certainly count FM as one of the three subjects to fulfil your offer, so you could get a U in Chemistry and it wouldn't actually matter at all for your offers either (can say this with 100% certainty, I applied post a level and because I got a B in German maths/FM/bio was the only way I fulfilled the entry requirements but I still got in to UCL, Notts and Sheffield for econ and UCL again for Arts and Sciences).

Original post by ellieacraig
I know someone a Loughborough who didn't even do economics at A level and got in. He got AAB i think.

I'm the same, I did maths, FM, biology and German. Every admissions tutor I spoke to said they actually prefer candidates who haven't done economics at a level because it teaches some bad habits. Quite a lot of my friends on my course didn't do econ a level too, it's surprisingly common!
Original post by mliela
Oh sorry misunderstood. Probably not since when applying most universities don't see maths and further maths as separate. They will only make a confession if you're applying for maths I think. What was your fourth subject this year?

Actually I know a guy doing English at UCL who did Maths, further maths and English as his 3 a levels, so it's definitely not only maths! It's a decision made by the departments at each university.
Reply 16
Original post by ellieacraig
He did Biology Maths and something else at A2

I was thinking about going Loughbourough, but idk if it has a good image. In the sense I know it is one of the top universities but anyone I ask has never heard of it.

I wanna do Aeronautical Engineering haha
Original post by mliela

chemistry
Reply 18
Original post by Wahrheit
Actually I know a guy doing English at UCL who did Maths, further maths and English as his 3 a levels, so it's definitely not only maths! It's a decision made by the departments at each university.

I said most for a reason. Some are different.
Reply 19
chemistry

I'd suggest before deciding email or phone up universities you want to apply to to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending