The Student Room Group

Girlfriend's Family are closed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I think that's what I'm going to have to do....just not ideal by any means -.-

nope but if u cant beat them or join them, ignore them
See, I don't even feel as though they do that sometimes....As I say, I've been to one of their meals and that felt a bit of both as though they wanted to but also because they felt the need to. Since then, I was hoping things would pick up and I'd be able to do more family things with them however it seems as the moment as though that's not the case

You ahve a danger of trying to inset yourself into their family unit, wheh they arent ready for it. Some families are like that. Maybe if its one of their birthdats you can but a small thoughtful gift, some flowers etc. If you try too hard, then it might do more harm than good.
Original post by 999tigger
Your gf is the one who should know,
Are there any cultural things in the way?
They might treat everyone like that.

Talk to your parents. Maybe invite them for a barbecue or picnic

You are doing everything right, just don give them an excuse.

There's no cultural things in the way - I just think they are generally a pretty closed family when it's things outside the house i.e. for meals etc.

Sorry, forgot to say in regards to your previous post that my family get on well with hers other than the idea that they aren't as open and they can't really understand it.

I would like to do something like that but it's so hard because everybody works and it's hard to find the time etc :frown:
Barbecue imo make it parent to parent. But do be careful of trying to force something that isnt there. Be happy you arent in the position where they dont forbid you frem seeing their daughter.
You ahve a danger of trying to inset yourself into their family unit, wheh they arent ready for it. Some families are like that. Maybe if its one of their birthdats you can but a small thoughtful gift, some flowers etc. If you try too hard, then it might do more harm than good.

For all their birthdays, I have got them some kind of gifts and I've tried to make them thoughtful and so I can get how that's a bit try hard but equally surely that's better than no effort at all. I just don't understand some things D:
Barbecue imo make it parent to parent. But do be careful of trying to force something that isnt there. Be happy you arent in the position where they dont forbid you frem seeing their daughter.

I doubt they'd ever forbiding me seeing her, however I wouldn't put it past them
Reply 26
your relationship won't last, the majority of relationship that start in secondary school don't.
I doubt they'd ever forbiding me seeing her, however I wouldn't put it past them

You will just have to get used to the fact that some people are like this. You are doing everything else ok, try not to dwell on it. Youll be surprised many fmailies operate in different ways to your own.
Everyone's family is different. You've only been dating for 18months so I don't think you should expect to feel apart of the family yet.

I guess the contrast between your family and her family makes it more noticeable but really, it's nothing major.

A lot of family's don't really get involved with their sons/daughters significant others until marriage is in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will just have to get used to the fact that some people are like this. You are doing everything else ok, try not to dwell on it. Youll be surprised many fmailies operate in different ways to your own.

Yeah, I'm doing my best to learn to deal with it
Original post by Limerence.
Everyone's family is different. You've only been dating for 18months so I don't think you should expect to feel apart of the family yet.

I guess the contrast between your family and her family makes it more noticeable but really, it's nothing major.

A lot of family's don't really get involved with their sons/daughters significant others until marriage is in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess that was just my own thoughts but it still sucks :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending