The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Unit 1 24/05/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polagra
Volcanoes occur in linear band on west coast of South America

I put, occur on the west coast of South America, on a plate boundary in narrow bands
Original post by Polagra
Also.... for fold mountains question:

I put that they occur at destructive and collision. Collision due to the two continental plates colliding and material in-between to form fold mountains bilaterally. And at destructive plat boundary unilaterally due to continental being crumpled

What did everyone else put??????

I put: sediment is carried into, and deposited in the geosyncline by rivers. The sediment in the geosyncline then builds up and compresses into rock eg. Sandstone. This is then, due to the plate movement pushed together, causing anticlines and synclines in the rock. These are known as fold mountains

(Except in abit more detail + added diagram)
Original post by Julia....
I put: sediment is carried into, and deposited in the geosyncline by rivers. The sediment in the geosyncline then builds up and compresses into rock eg. Sandstone. This is then, due to the plate movement pushed together, causing anticlines and synclines in the rock. These are known as fold mountains

(Except in a bit more detail + added diagram)

same here!!!
I said in a depression(geosyncline), sediments are carried to the seabed.
As more and more sediments are carried, the layers accumulate on top of each other. Then at collision plate boundary, when two continental plates of equal weight and density move towards each other,neither plates will sink therefore the accumulated layers of sediments are forced up into anticlines and synclines.
Original post by SaraAli123
who is revising 4 paper 2 GCSE Geography on 8th June????
I am revising for population,tourism and changing urban environment(which I hate).

Same!! I absolutely do not get urbanisation our teacher rushed through it and I am confused af :c currently revising population though. Hope no 'comment' or 'evaluate' 8 markers come up
Original post by samthecat
Same!! I absolutely do not get urbanisation our teacher rushed through it and I am confused af :c currently revising population though. Hope no 'comment' or 'evaluate' 8 markers come up

We rushed through it as well. The only thing i understand is causes of urbanitaion and land uses.I do not get everything else. there is not much resources for urbanisation in the student rom. If someone finds any useful websites, please let me know. And if you are doing urbanisation, can you please let me know the case studies you are revising. Thanks alot!!!!
We rushed through it as well. The only thing i understand is causes of urbanitaion and land uses.I do not get everything else. there is not much resources for urbanisation in the student rom. If someone finds any useful websites, please let me know. And if you are doing urbanisation, can you please let me know the case studies you are revising. Thanks alot!!!!

girl me exactly. The case studies we did were Rio de Janeiro and the favelas plus how rapid urbanisation leads to pollution and we looked at Birmingham as our rich world case study but I do not know where to start..
girl me exactly. The case studies we did were Rio de Janeiro and the favelas plus how rapid urbanisation leads to pollution and we looked at Birmingham as our rich world case study but I do not know where to start..

Thanks samthecat! me 2, I have no idea where to start.
Did you do BedZed as sustainable urbanisation case study?
I need to start revising now so that I don't start panicking when there is only few days before my test.
Thanks samthecat! me 2, I have no idea where to start.
Did you do BedZed as sustainable urbanisation case study?
I need to start revising now so that I don't start panicking when there is only few days before my test.

So sorry for the late reply but yes we did BedZed. Same, I started revising the past few days and have gotten through the favela-bairro project so yeah. urban cities seems a little harder though
So sorry for the late reply but yes we did BedZed. Same, I started revising the past few days and have gotten through the favela-bairro project so yeah. urban cities seems a little harder though

it is alright. But it is a hard topic though.
it is alright. But it is a hard topic though.

definitely, I feel like this is the one topic i'll have to try a lot of practice papers for because I can't really predict what's going to come up or what I'd personally want to come up for paper 2 ya know?
definitely, I feel like this is the one topic i'll have to try a lot of practice papers for because I can't really predict what's going to come up or what I'd personally want to come up for paper 2 ya know?

me 2. I tried a few papers, but the question were a bit hard.
me 2. I tried a few papers, but the question were a bit hard.

me too I also don't get the stuff about udc and city challenge but my teacher does say its not so important even though it came up on mocks and past papers...
Population Change: population pyramids, non birth control policy, ageing population

Changing Urban Environments: Traffic congestion problems/solutions, land use (CBD, inner city, etc) and a sustainable urban living environment (BedZED)

Tourism: Case study on extreme environments (Alaska/Antarctica), Butler tourist resort model (Exploration, development, etc) and perhaps positives + negatives of mass tourism?
Reply 53
Original post by Polagra
What did people put in Restless Earth on the first question what was name of volcano????????? I got St Helens

i got that too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending