The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey
Really, I thought international centres had no choice now but to use the international spec... hence the international series.

Where else uses the UK papers?

Hi Arsey,

I'm trying to get an A* in maths, I just wanted you advice on revision. I've gone through all the c3 and c4 papers once but over a spread period of time, should I go over them all again? As I'm not getting consistent A*s or do different papers? Or do those gold and silver papers
Dear Arsey, all members of the StudentRoom and anyone else concerned (including Edexcel Accounts).

I would like to make it clear that what Arsey has done is not a breach of copyright, as I will prove in my post.

Arsey has been using legal material that would later become available on April 1st, 2017 freely on the web to post solutions onto the internet for the benefit of thousands of students concerned about their performance on an exam.

Due to this, he has been obeying the Copyright Act of 1976 which states...

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Note that arsey is doing this for non - profit and educational purposes (stated clearly in bold) which means that the copyright claim by EdExcel would not be approved of in reasonable court of law.
Note as well that his purpose was of teaching and research and comment, to which he has fulfilled one of the several criteria for Fair Use.

An article in January 2012 ruled too that manipulation of the original image would also mean that the copyright law would not be applied. Extracts are given below.

ARTICLE http://bit.ly/1ZlXfWI

The Court said that the way a photo is composed can determine whether it is sufficiently original to be considered a creation worthy of copyright protection. One factor that can determine whether the composition of a photo is original is in the way it has been manipulated in post-production, Mr Justice Birss QC said in his ruling.

"The composition of a photograph is capable of being a source of originality," the judge said.

"The composition of an image will certainly derive from the 'angle of shot' ... but also from the field of view, from elements which the photographer may have created and from elements arising from being at the right place at the right time," he said. "The resulting composition is capable of being the aggregate result of all these factors which will differ by degrees in different cases."

Arsey's methods of manipulating his solutions and questions were different to the papers due to different colour saturation and therefore qualifies to avoid the copyright claim made, given if this ruiling was accepted by UK court of law.

This will be my final post for a while, due to other commitments.
However, I will still pursue the right for students such as myself to be given the right to be relieved of the post - exam stress through the use of Arsey's solutions and learning how to compose a solution using his fast and understandable ways.

The members of TSR this correspondence should be delivered to include, as stated in the listing above, @Arsey @Mr M The Edexcel Exam Board and any examiner that wishes to comment on this reply.

Thanks,
nwmyname.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by nwmyname
Dear Arsey, all members of the StudentRoom and anyone else concerned (including Edexcel Accounts).

I would like to make it clear that what Arsey has done is not a breach of copyright, as I will prove in my post.

Arsey has been using legal material that would later become available on April 1st, 2017 freely on the web to post solutions onto the internet for the benefit of thousands of students concerned about their performance on an exam.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Note that arsey is doing this for non - profit and educational purposes (stated clearly in bold) which means that the copyright claim by EdExcel would not be approved of in reasonable court of law.
Note as well that his purpose was of teaching and research and comment, to which he has fulfilled one of the several criteria for Fair Use.

An article in January 2012 ruled too that manipulation of the original image would also mean that the copyright law would not be applied. Extracts are given below.

ARTICLE

The Court said that the way a photo is composed can determine whether it is sufficiently original to be considered a creation worthy of copyright protection. One factor that can determine whether the composition of a photo is original is in the way it has been manipulated in post-production, Mr Justice Birss QC said in his ruling.

"The composition of a photograph is capable of being a source of originality," the judge said.

"The composition of an image will certainly derive from the 'angle of shot' ... but also from the field of view, from elements which the photographer may have created and from elements arising from being at the right place at the right time," he said. "The resulting composition is capable of being the aggregate result of all these factors which will differ by degrees in different cases."

Arsey's methods of manipulating his solutions and questions were different to the papers due to different colour saturation and therefore qualifies to avoid the copyright claim made, given if this ruiling was accepted by UK court of law.

However, I will still pursue the right for students such as myself to be given the right to be relieved of the post - exam stress through the use of Arsey's solutions and learning how to compose a solution using his fast and understandable ways.

The members of TSR this correspondence should be delivered to include, as stated in the listing above, @Arsey @Mr M The Edexcel Exam Board and any examiner that wishes to comment on this reply.

Thanks,
nwmyname.
I think you should re-read the op. Copyright wasn't the issue at hand.
Original post by Engineerrookie
Hi Arsey,

I'm trying to get an A* in maths, I just wanted you advice on revision. I've gone through all the c3 and c4 papers once but over a spread period of time, should I go over them all again? As I'm not getting consistent A*s or do different papers? Or do those gold and silver papers

First question to ask is why you are losing marks. Is it because you always struggled with a particular topic, or it's always the hardest questions that you find too difficult, etc etc. Only then can you decide what you should do.

But I'd say just do the most recent papers and then do more difficult ones (eg solomon/iygb).
Original post by SeanFM
First question to ask is why you are losing marks. Is it because you always struggled with a particular topic, or it's always the hardest questions that you find too difficult, etc etc. Only then can you decide what you should do.

But I'd say just do the most recent papers and then do more difficult ones (eg solomon/iygb).

I guess it's a mixture of both, I don't know what to do? It feels like time is running out :frown:
I guess it's a mixture of both, I don't know what to do? It feels like time is running out :frown:

No worries, there is plenty of time - you only need to do enough work to make sure that you are getting those top marks, rather than having to relearn the syllabus.

If it's both, then I suggest you go over your weakest topics or ones that you struggle with every so often, and then do the most recent past papers again and see where you're going wrong - be sure to sit these under exam conditions and double check everything as you would in the exam, and see what happens, and again, if you just need to study more difficult questions then solomon/iygb papers are your best bet.
Original post by SeanFM
No worries, there is plenty of time - you only need to do enough work to make sure that you are getting those top marks, rather than having to relearn the syllabus.

If it's both, then I suggest you go over your weakest topics or ones that you struggle with every so often, and then do the most recent past papers again and see where you're going wrong - be sure to sit these under exam conditions and double check everything as you would in the exam, and see what happens, and again, if you just need to study more difficult questions then solomon/iygb papers are your best bet.

Thank you! That sounds achievable, What do you think the best way thing to do is if I continue to make the same mistakes?
Thank you! That sounds achievable, What do you think the best way thing to do is if I continue to make the same mistakes?

For each topic, flick through the hardest questions in the textbook and do those. Or just crack on with Solomon/IYGB papers and your ability should improve.
Original post by SeanFM
For each topic, flick through the hardest questions in the textbook and do those. Or just crack on with Solomon/IYGB papers and your ability should improve.

Thank you!!!
Original post by Yua
I think you should re-read the op. Copyright wasn't the issue at hand.

What was the issue then?
Reply 250
What was the issue then?

Edexcel doesn't want Arsey posting his solutions so teachers can use the papers, for the previous academic year that have yet to be released, as mock material. Arsey's solutions in themselves don't have any intangible assets in their characteristics, it's not like if Arsey stops making solutions everyone's going to say 'Well, game over boys'. No. Someone else will just move in and start posting solutions. Like I said before, it was silly for edexcel to ask Arsey to stop, and for Arsey to stop is even more silly.
What was the issue then?

Schools don't want the papers in the public domain too soon so they can use them for mocks.

It's all in the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Yua here's a reasonable suggestion. Why don't those schools use the IAL papers of June 2016 and later in June 2017 to which Arsey rarely provides solutions for but still allow Arsey to post those solutions until the end of June?
No year 11 pupil is interested at the moment to download all the papers - I doubt they even know what the specification consists of.

@jneill You are a TSR support team member, if not mistaken. Is it possible to get an EdExcel representative on this forum so we can consult the matter with them together?
@Yua here's a reasonable suggestion. Why don't those schools use the IAL papers of June 2016 and later in June 2017 to which Arsey rarely provides solutions for but still allow Arsey to post those solutions until the end of June?
No year 11 pupil is interested at the moment to download all the papers - I doubt they even know what the specification consists of.

@jneill You are a TSR support team member, if not mistaken. Is it possible to get an EdExcel representative on this forum so we can consult the matter with them together?

No point tbh, loads of people have been puttinf up solutions for the papers, just without the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
No point tbh, loads of people have been puttinf up solutions for the papers, just without the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those solutions, however, don't have the questions with them.
Additionally, they could be incorrect too, unlike Arseys' who has the question in front of him and the time to get them correct.

Those solutions are given by either Mr M (who I believe does OCR) or students that are thinking of the solution from memory, which I would not rely on.

I see your point, but those solutions have a greater chance of being incorrect than Arsey's.

@The Learn Ranger is a member of the TSR Community Team (the folks that actually manage TSR) and responded early on in the thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65154095&postcount=35
Dear Arseys, i understand that you have granted the wish of Edexcel. now to be on the realistic side, PHYSICSAnDMATHS tutor uploads all the past paper on the internet anyways so since you upload the answers for the papers, it really supports us. so either way your purpose of not doing this is future and i would like you to continue with the process you have stopped as others do it anyways the day after but you are able to do it on the same day

thanks
hope to see you back on!!!
Thanks for everything Arsey.

ARTICLE

Thanks,
nwmyname.

:confused:
Arsey thanks a lot for your help over the past years :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending