The Student Room Group

Geography ocr b thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

@kevinspl2000 yes kevin
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cicelym
On the ocr b geography specification, it says we need 'appropriate examples' of fluvial landforms, ie waterfalls, meanders. Do these need to be examples of in the UK, or can it be anywhere? Can I use the Grand Canyon, USA as an example of a v shaped valley?

You don't need to know any case studies mate.
Ffs our teacher hasn't even gone through rivers!!! Wth? Does anyone have predictions for what will come up tomorrow?
Original post by Ryndvdmddn
Ffs our teacher hasn't even gone through rivers!!! Wth? Does anyone have predictions for what will come up tomorrow?

Dude, don't worry about it, you can get a C by just interpreting information from the resource booklet.
Watch these videos:
Rivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EST6rz09w8
Coasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePBY6ebx7c
Reply 24
Original post by SamSp123
You don't need to know any case studies mate.

On the ocr specification is says we need to know like one example of each landform
Original post by cicelym
On the ocr specification is says we need to know like one example of each landform

Yeah, I guess we just have different interpretations of a case study lol. You don't need to know any case study specific information, you just need to know how they are formed.
Hi does anyone know what type of questions they will ask in section 1 and 2 and how do you answer these?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dude, don't worry about it, you can get a C by just interpreting information from the resource booklet.
Watch these videos:
Rivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EST6rz09w8
Coasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePBY6ebx7c

Mate, not being rude or anything but I'm an A* student and our geography 'teacher' is literally the definition of a shambles. So a C isn't all that useful :frown:
Original post by Ryndvdmddn
Mate, not being rude or anything but I'm an A* student and our geography 'teacher' is literally the definition of a shambles. So a C isn't all that useful :frown:

Oh, sorry if I didn't help, hope you get your grades :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by kevinspl2000
So I've decided to make a thread on the geography OCR B specification because I am very confused as to what we're meant to be learning and about the different case studies we should know about:

My question is do we need to know about the different case studies for the SDME? Can OCR ask us about any of the case studies on the actual SDME?

I have asked my teacher multiple times, and I always get a response saying that we "should be aware of the case studies" - however this doesn't give me a clear answer; do we need to know statistics? Do we need to know the different place names and dates?!

My other question is about the Key Themes exam. What specific case studies should we know about?

And finally, my CGP revision guide has a sections on "Globalisation" and the "Industry", which we haven't learnt in class at all, except for a few bits on the 4 different industries which was LAST YEAR and only for our coursework! Should we know about this?

I am so confused and sort of angry especially since my teacher is **** and I haven't learnt anything from class. Most of what I know is solely from my revision guide... To add to that our class hasn't done ANY PAST PAPERS OR MOCK EXAMS and our exam is about 20 days away.

Any revision tips/answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We had a teacher at our school (retired December 2015, so very recently) who was an examiner for OCR B geography, and he's never ever taught case studies for an SDME. The reason being because it's not the same, in any way, as the Key Themes exam.

You aren't expected to recall information from the top of your head, you are provided with information and help through a resource booklet. For the SDME, you do still need a knowledge to some degree in rivers and coasts, but you don't need an extensive knowledge in regards to the subject, because the resource booklet is there to help you.

What I mean by 'you still need a knowledge to some degree' is: you need to know environmental, social and economic benefits and downfalls to different alternative options (i.e - for flood management: channelisation, dredging, land use zoning, dams, afforestation etc.) but you don't need to know the basis of the topic Rivers and Coasts in as much depth as you would if this was to appear in the Key Themes exam.
Reply 30
For the OCR B SDME, It will be on Rivers and Coasts.
The resources will be supplied during the exam which you will need to analyse.
I recommend revising River and Coastal features and for the 16 marker I recommend you to consider issues of sustainability and how you can protect against damage, eg. sea walls rip raps and so on. Think about the impacts it will have on the council and surrounding government bodies and cost benefit analysis. Be sure to explain Sustainability in three segments. Social, Economic and Environmental. Make sure to have well developed ideas to ensure top band marks.

Best of luck to those taking the exam, I myself am too
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
What did you write for the 16 mark question??
Reply 32
Original post by Oasis61
Hi does anyone know what type of questions they will ask in section 1 and 2 and how do you answer these?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey what did you chose for the16 Mark and what did you write??
Original post by Sa912038
What did you write for the 16 mark question??

I chose option 1 because I'm an ******* and then wrote about all the three types of sustainability until it said 'end of paper'.
Reply 34
Does anyone have any tips on how to develop your answers on the decision making question?

Hey how did you answer the 16 mark question and what did you choose and write for it??
Reply 35
I chose option 1 because I'm an ******* and then wrote about all the three types of sustainability until it said 'end of paper'.

What sustainable things??? Please give some examples!
Hey how did you answer the 16 mark question and what did you choose and write for it??

I chose Option 1 and then compared it with my own scheme which was basically placing gabions around the area.
What sustainable units???

Environmental, social and environmental sustainability.
Reply 38
Environmental, social and environmental sustainability.

Oh ok! I think I did the option with breakwall or something like that... Maybe option 1? And then i wrote about how I it protect the areas for tourism and hotels near the coast. And stuff liked that!!
Oh ok! I think I did the option with breakwall or something like that... Maybe option 1? And then i wrote about how I it protect the areas for tourism and hotels near the coast. And stuff liked that!!

Yeah, you probably did okay then because Option 1 was the most favoured option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending