The Student Room Group

6th June History Edexcel Unit 1 International Relations (Cold War)

How is everybody feeling about this exam? Prepared? This is just a space to talk about the quickly-approaching exam and hopefully I or someone else can ease any worries you may have!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feeling quite nervous about the exam. I only got a C in my controlled assessment (25%) and was gutted. I was originally hoping to achieve an A* but i'm pretty sure that's not going to happen with the C, so i'm now aiming for an A.

I am struggling with the iron curtain and soviet expansion in Eastern Europe as well as the Truman doctrine, i understand the basics (a speech by Churchill about containment etc.), but was given a question by my teacher 'describe how Europe became divided by the iron curtain in the years 1945-1946' and was completely stumped. I had no idea, I cannot find anything that helps me to understand.
Thank you =)
Reply 2
I am really worried about this exam...
I just have this feeling they will make the questions super, super hard. And I still haven't finished revising. Only started properly yesterday. I'm screwed.
Reply 3
Original post by Laurp
Feeling quite nervous about the exam. I only got a C in my controlled assessment (25%) and was gutted. I was originally hoping to achieve an A* but i'm pretty sure that's not going to happen with the C, so i'm now aiming for an A.

I am struggling with the iron curtain and soviet expansion in Eastern Europe as well as the Truman doctrine, i understand the basics (a speech by Churchill about containment etc.), but was given a question by my teacher 'describe how Europe became divided by the iron curtain in the years 1945-1946' and was completely stumped. I had no idea, I cannot find anything that helps me to understand.
Thank you =)

Is that a 6 mark question? (An example of question 4)
Reply 4
Original post by louisemayorx
How is everybody feeling about this exam? Prepared? This is just a space to talk about the quickly-approaching exam and hopefully I or someone else can ease any worries you may have!

what type of questions can be given I can not find them in my revision pack or old text books etc.
Reply 5
I understand everything, just can't remember the dates. Assuming I remember all the names correctly and talk correctly about figures e.g. Marshall Aid $13 billion, can I still get full marks without mentioning dates?
Original post by Mark 88
Is that a 6 mark question? (An example of question 4)

I've responded to your PM.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Reply 7
i feel so **** about this exam my grades change from U's to A's all the time like i never know what im gonna get. Does anyone have any guesses as to what will come up? or does anyone know what (on average) grade boundaries are?

Also what do i have to get in each topic to end up with an A ?
Original post by lou2471
i feel so **** about this exam my grades change from U's to A's all the time like i never know what im gonna get. Does anyone have any guesses as to what will come up? or does anyone know what (on average) grade boundaries are?

Also what do i have to get in each topic to end up with an A ?

2015 Edexcel
40/53 A
46/53 A*

I think they're going to cover everything because they've changed the format of the exam. So they're going to cherry pick events through the timeline.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Reply 9
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
2015 Edexcel
40/53 A
46/53 A*

I think they're going to cover everything because they've changed the format of the exam. So they're going to cherry pick events through the timeline.

okay thanks :smile:
Original post by lou2471
okay thanks :smile:

No worries.

2015 Edexcel
40/53 A
46/53 A*

My controlled assessment is 39/50 which is a high B, one mark off an A. Can i still get an A* overall? How many marks do i have to get in all papers roughly?

Thanks in advance
Can anyone tell me approximate timing estimation for each question. Also, will the exam be constructed in the same format as the 2015 paper or be similar to that of years prior where you have to answer specifically 3 sections.
Original post by goldenusername
My controlled assessment is 39/50 which is a high B, one mark off an A. Can i still get an A* overall? How many marks do i have to get in all papers roughly?

Thanks in advance

I think someone said that each mark is worth 2 UMS so your coursework would be at 78 UMS.

90 UMS is an A* and 80 UMS is an A. If you scored exactly 80 UMS in each paper then you would end up with a B 318UMS.

Therefore you could easily up with an A.
If you scored 90UMS in each paper you would end up with 348UMS which is a High A. Therefore you would need to score these UMS marks to get an A* overall. This is exactly 360 UMS =A*

94 UMS
94 UMS
94 UMS

So, yes you can get an A* overall but you will need to get near full marks on each paper. Hope that helped. You'll definitely get a High A though.

Original post by CaedKnight
Can anyone tell me approximate timing estimation for each question. Also, will the exam be constructed in the same format as the 2015 paper or be similar to that of years prior where you have to answer specifically 3 sections.

Q1: 2 mins
Q2: 5 mins
Q3: 15 mins
Q4: 10 mins
Q5: 15 mins
Q6: 25 + SPAG check

The times are rough estimates. It varies per person.

I think someone said that each mark is worth 2 UMS so your coursework would be at 78 UMS.

90 UMS is an A* and 80 UMS is an A. If you scored exactly 80 UMS in each paper then you would end up with a B 318UMS.

Therefore you could easily up with an A.
If you scored 90UMS in each paper you would end up with 348UMS which is a High A. Therefore you would need to score these UMS marks to get an A* overall. This is exactly 360 UMS =A*

94 UMS
94 UMS
94 UMS

So, yes you can get an A* overall but you will need to get near full marks on each paper. Hope that helped. You'll definitely get a High A though.

Thanks for the reply, so is the UMS out of 400? And how many marks is 90 UMS?
Thanks for the reply, so is the UMS out of 400? And how many marks is 90 UMS?

No worries. Yeah it is out 400. So do unit 1 90 UMS would be 46. 94 UMS should be 48/53. I can't say for the other papers.

No worries. Yeah it is out 400. So do unit 1 90 UMS would be 46. 94 UMS should be 48/53. I can't say for the other papers.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated :smile:
Thanks for the help, very much appreciated :smile:

No worries. Just give it your all and don't regret it. If you've given it you're all and it doesn't pan out like you want it to then it's just fate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending