The Student Room Group

RAF Regiment Gunners Weight Requirements?

Hey, new here and I tend to read a lot of posts on this website but couldnt find one recently especially about this subject. RAF Regiment weight requirements is a minimum of 60kg, I am unfortunately about 51 kg and am trying my hardest to gain weight also having to improve my fitness at the same time, so my question is are they strict on the weight requirements? My tutor told me that they probably wont be as strict due to the numbers of people for this role have been slacking and under average. But, I have my medical soon and I am fearing that im going to fail and not be able to pass because of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
It just says BMI 18-28. At age 18 , then if you are no taller than 5ft 6" you will be within BMI. The site doesnt mention a minimum weight other than BMI.
The bigger issue is whether you are strong and fit enough.

You should be down the gym imo working on both weights and endurance.
You cna also pracctice the bleep test as well as do press ups and sit ups every day
Its available on the site.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
How tall are you? normally (as previously stated) they go on a BMI, which takes in to account your weight and height.

If you are anything like me and a skinny build. Get hitting them weights up, its no secret that muscle weights more than body fat. Do not focus on machines, as these only target individual muscle sets. Get doing triceps dips, push ups, pull ups, squats, bicep curls, skull crushers, sit ups, planks etc, however only use free weights. (you can vary on to machines, but they only target certain muscles, and you really want to develop all the little muscles what help the larger muscles function. I am not an expert but it worked treats for me). Get running and mix it up with cycling, do this 3-4 times a week and your muscles will start to increase.

NorthFace
Muscle is just denser than fat. Pind for pound they weigh the same.
The OP says she cant gym.
Reply 4
Of course pound for pound they weigh the same (that doesn't take into the quantity you need of each substance). If you have a 1L of fat, and 1L of muscle. The muscle will weigh more. Hence why it is easy to make weight by increase your muscles size.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
It just says BMI 18-28. At age 18 , then if you are no taller than 5ft 6" you will be within BMI. The site doesnt mention a minimum weight other than BMI.
The bigger issue is whether you are strong and fit enough.

You should be down the gym imo working on both weights and endurance.
You cna also pracctice the bleep test as well as do press ups and sit ups every day
Its available on the site.

Thank you! Mind at ease, im 5ft 5
Original post by Kimbo98
Thank you! Mind at ease, im 5ft 5

You are still only just above the min though, so you need to work on it.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Muscle is just denser than fat. Pind for pound they weigh the same.
The OP says she cant gym.

OP is male.

Or at least, I'm hoping they are, because females can't join the Reg.
Original post by Drewski
OP is male.

Or at least, I'm hoping they are, because females can't join the Reg.

Fair enough, same information applies though.

Quick Reply

Latest