The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Ecasx
The limit does indeed exist.

Take e>0. For any positive x, |f(x)| <= 2pi/x. Now choose N=2pi/e so that for all x>N, we have | f(x) | <= 2pi/x < e. Done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the point of taking |f(x)| <= 2pi/x? I mean, it works... but why not just f(x) <= 1/x?
Original post by Zacken
What's the point of taking |f(x)| <= 2pi/x? I mean, it works... but why not just f(x) <= 1/x?

To exclude the possibility that it tends to a negative limit.
Just using the definition with L = 0.
Reply 422
Original post by Zacken

Take modulus of f since that's the definition of the limit.

My mistake, max[sinx] = 1 not 2pi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 423
Original post by Ecasx
Take modulus of f since that's the definition of the limit.

My mistake, max[sinx] = 1 not 2pi.

Original post by EricPiphany
To exclude the possibility that it tends to a negative limit.
Just using the definition with L = 0.

Yeah, sorry, forgot the modulus. Was wondering why 2pi instead of 1.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, sorry, forgot the modulus. Was wondering why 2pi instead of 1.

lol didn't notice that. just popped in.
Original post by charlielao
Thank you for your response, I finally understand the way marksheme uses. but I didn't pair up anything as in the marksheme though. Could you please take a look again since I made it a bit clearer for what i did. Or do I have to do exactly the same as the markscheme to get any mark.

Spoiler

Oh I see what you're doing; that seems to work. The mark scheme approach just considers S on its own so that's why they considered the pairing up of terms. But here if you're just adding the same series reversed to itself which should avoid any pairing issues.
Did STEP II 2015 and failed miserably, makes me realise how bad I am at maths. Probably gonna fail all my STEP exams.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Did STEP II 2015 and failed miserably, makes me realise how bad I am at maths. Probably gonna fail all my STEP exams.

Dw!
You gkt this mate, boundaries were low for the 1 , lower then normal.

Spoiler

Original post by physicsmaths
Dw!
You gkt this mate, boundaries were low for the 1 , lower then normal.

Spoiler

I didn't get any fulls and very much doubt I got the 1, worst paper I ever sat.

Spoiler

Q2II 1992 (further discussion about solutions of differential equations)

Determine the solutions of y = x * dy/dx - cosh( dy/dx ) (*)

by differentiating we get that either y '' = 0 (1) OR x = sinh ( y' ) (2)

the solutions of these two SEPARATELY are y =Ax - cosh(A) (3) and y = x * arsinh(x) - sqrt ( x^2+1 ) (4)

and that's where the TSR solution stops ... well there are other solutions to * as well (branched functions)!

(1) or (2) means for some x it might be (1) for other (2) only condition : in the branch point y has to be continuous and dy/dx should be defined.

Thus other functions that satisfy * : y = (3) with A=A1 for x<=sinh(A1) , (4) for sinh(A1)<x<sinh(A2) , (3) with A=A2 for x>=sinh(A2) for all A1<A2
which is graphically straight line - curve - straight line we can also have straight line-curve or vice versa so with only one branch point but we can't have a line in the middle of the curve (easy to notice in geogebra) so these are all the possible combinations.

Don't you think that's right ? Why was it omitted ? Please I really want to get an answer !
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep

Yep when I was doing this Q I also briefly considered the fact that combinations of these solutions could also be solutions. I think the examiner just expected candidates to conclude that there are two separate solutions and ignore that there may be differentiable piecewise-defined functions which combine the two solutions.
Reply 431
Yep when I was doing this Q I also briefly considered the fact that combinations of these solutions could also be solutions. I think the examiner just expected candidates to conclude that there are two separate solutions and ignore that there may be differentiable piecewise-defined functions which combine the two solutions.

Original post by Vesniep
Q2II 1992 (further discussion about solutions of differential equations)

Determine the solutions of y = x * dy/dx - cosh( dy/dx ) (*)

by differentiating we get that either y '' = 0 (1) OR x = sinh ( y' ) (2)

the solutions of these two SEPARATELY are y =Ax - cosh(A) (3) and y = x * arsinh(x) - sqrt ( x^2+1 ) (4)

and that's where the TSR solution stops ... well there are other solutions to * as well (branched functions)!

(1) or (2) means for some x it might be (1) for other (2) only condition : in the branch point y has to be continuous and dy/dx should be defined.

Thus other functions that satisfy * : y = (3) with A=A1 for x<=sinh(A1) , (4) for sinh(A1)<x<sinh(A2) , (3) with A=A2 for x>=sinh(A2) for all A1<A2
which is graphically straight line - curve - straight line we can also have straight line-curve or vice versa so with only one branch point but we can't have a line in the middle of the curve (easy to notice in geogebra) so these are all the possible combinations.

Don't you think that's right ? Why was it omitted ? Please I really want to get an answer !

I'm pretty sure that sum of solutions to this first order DE are not a solution to the first order DE.

Original post by DFranklin

Basically because cosh(dy1dx+dy2dx)cosh(dy1dx)+cosh(dy2dx)\cosh\left(\frac{dy_1}{dx}+\frac{dy_2}{dx}\right) \neq \cosh\left(\frac{dy_1}{dx}\right) + \cosh\left(\frac{dy_2}{dx}\right).

Original post by DFranklin
Having had a look, subbing in for y=Ax+B you end up finding B = -cosh A, so y=Ax-coshA is one family of solutions.I haven't looked at how the 2nd (nastier) solution behaves.

As a general comment: If you have a first order DE (no d2y/dx2 terms), then you don't expect more than 1 arbitrary constant. But you may get more than one family of solutions if there are some many-to-one functions in there.E.g. (dy/dx)^2 = 1 has two families of solutions y=A+x and y = A - x.
Original post by Zacken
I'm pretty sure that sum of solutions to this first order DE are not a solution to the first order DE.

I wasn't saying that linear combinations of the solutions would be solutions (obviously they wouldn't) but I was wondering whether piecewise combinations could be solutions.
Original post by Zacken

We are not talking about the sum of these two solutions , but a change from one to another (branched functions) which is possible I used geogebra to demonstrate it and it works perfectly fine as well (of course I also proved it analytically)
Original post by Vesniep
We are not talking about the sum of these two solutions , but a change from one to another (branched functions) which is possible I used geogebra to demonstrate it and it works perfectly fine as well (of course I also proved it analytically)

Every tangent to y=xsinh1x1+x2y=x\sinh^{-1}x-\sqrt{1+x^2} is of the form y=AxcoshAy=Ax-\cosh A I believe and so making differentiable piecewise solutions is possible yes.
This means that there are not just two solutions but infinitely many piecewise ones combining the two.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes I think it's not really required to think that many cases when solving DEs in STEPs.
Another common mistake is in logarithms when the solutions frequently use ln(f(x)) instead of ln(abs(f(x)) in the end signs and everything are fine but you are not sure if you have found all solutions and it works 'magically' rather than rigorously ... that's why I spend so much time on these questions
Original post by Vesniep
Yes I think it's not really required to think that many cases when solving DEs in STEPs.
Another common mistake is in logarithms when the solutions frequently use ln(f(x)) instead of ln(abs(f(x)) in the end signs and everything are fine but you are not sure if you have found all solutions and it works 'magically' rather than rigorously ... that's why I spend so much time on these questions

I agree, a lot of the time I get stuck because of technical points like these which most of the time they don't expect you to consider.
I agree, a lot of the time I get stuck because of technical points like these which most of the time they don't expect you to consider.

Did you study analysis at least a little bit ? I mean I have that problem of rigour because in my school we study analysis and rigour is our god (if we are to solve a dif equation we should consider continuity differentiability etc so that we get all solutions) and our book is full of proofs ( 3 quarters proofs 1 quarter questions about proofs lol ) so I guess that's why I have that problem .
Original post by Vesniep
Did you study analysis at least a little bit ? I mean I have that problem of rigour because in my school we study analysis and rigour is our god (if we are to solve a dif equation we should consider continuity differentiability etc so that we get all solutions) and our book is full of proofs ( 3 quarters proofs 1 quarter questions about proofs lol ) so I guess that's why I have that problem .

I did study very rigorous calculus from a textbook (not finished though, will finish over summer) so that's one of the reasons. But generally I like to be very technically precise as that is what's required in maths as a whole.
For 1,2007 question 7, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465138258.032365.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending