The Student Room Group

I'm 21 and failed my GCSEs - can I resit them?

I lacked motivation at school and I'm pretty ashamed to say, I never studied. I failed to see the point and because of my anxiety couldn't focus properly, consequently things have changed.

I'm pretty ignorant because of it and now realise I was wrong to think studying was a pointless exercise. So many Ds, Es, Fs, Us'. Yikes.

So I'm reaching out to you beautiful people, is there any chance I can go about getting back into education and resitting my GCSEs?

If it helps, I live in Norwich. Any advise?

Thank you very much.

James

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheMightyAcorn
is there any chance I can go about getting back into education and resitting my GCSEs?

You can bet your darn hat on it.

Someone will pop along in a minute to tell you how. :smile:
Yup you can resit your GCSEs
I lacked motivation at school and I'm pretty ashamed to say, I never studied. I failed to see the point and because of my anxiety couldn't focus properly, consequently things have changed.

I'm pretty ignorant because of it and now realise I was wrong to think studying was a pointless exercise. So many Ds, Es, Fs, Us'. Yikes.

So I'm reaching out to you beautiful people, is there any chance I can go about getting back into education and resitting my GCSEs?

Thank you very much.

James

You can either take GCSEs privately and self teach and pay for exam fees, enrol at a local college or maybe do an Access to Higher Education course.
Google adult GCSE courses in your area, I'm sure there are some, I've been to Norwich a few times for educational reasons.
If not there are ways to do them privately but that will cost significantly more.
It's gonna cost you down either route.
Original post by Davalla
You can bet your darn hat on it.

Someone will pop along in a minute to tell you how. :smile:

Nice one, thanks! This is just what I wanted to hear. Now to try to get my life back on track.

:cheers:

Thank you very much.

James

for a start it's 'advice' not 'advise', so you may need help with english language

second, why have you only decided that now is a good time to resist your gcses, 5 years after doing them?

you will probably have to do late night college classes to do them, and it's probably limited on how many you can apply for
Original post by MBenjamin
for a start it's 'advice' not 'advise', so you may need help with english language

second, why have you only decided that now is a good time to resist your gcses, 5 years after doing them?

you will probably have to do late night college classes to do them, and it's probably limited on how many you can apply for

Yes, you're quite right. That's embarrassing, after years of relying merely on spell check it makes you a bit rusty. Although apart from that blimp, English isn't my concern.

Good question, I'm on the Autistic spectrum and dropped out of college due to anxiety. Seeing as how I'm not getting any younger, something sometime has to change or I'll be stuck in a my own anxiety-ridden ways forever.

Thank you very much.

James

As pointed out ofc you can resit. You arent that far behind so dont worry. Id suggest you go to college rather than teach yourself as that requires skills and discipline of home study. Youd be better having teaching support.

I think your aim has to be just getting back into study first. You should also see what support you can get for your autism. As you do more GCSE's then options open up. the standard is to get 5 including maths and English. You cna then consider doing A levels or BTEC or NVQs. but first thing first. If you wnat to do it then you cna you just need to apply yourself and be a bit determined. Good luck.

You can contact Norwich City college
https://ccn.ac.uk/information-advice-guidance-service
or National Careers
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/Contactus.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, you're quite right. That's embarrassing, after years of relying merely on spell check it makes you a bit rusty. Although apart from that blimp, English isn't my concern.

Good question, I'm on the Autistic spectrum and dropped out of college due to anxiety. Seeing as how I'm not getting any younger, something sometime has to change or I'll be stuck in a my own anxiety-ridden ways forever.

it's great that you want a fresh start and you have the motivation now to do something about previous mistakes, however, you may be better off looking for an apprenticeship and gaining experience in something that really interests you
Original post by Rhythmical
You can either take GCSEs privately and self teach and pay for exam fees, enrol at a local college or maybe do an Access to Higher Education course.

You need cs in gcse english and maths, in order to do the access programme.
Original post by john2054
You need cs in gcse english and maths, in order to do the access programme.

Not necessarily if you don't have them, all they ask you to do is take a test in both subjects and if you pass them, you can do it. Then you must get your C's in both subjects either privately or via the college you are enrolled at.
They've gotten a whole lot harder so... I guess just be prepared for that.
Reply 13
Yes, you totally can!
Original post by Rhythmical
Not necessarily if you don't have them, all they ask you to do is take a test in both subjects and if you pass them, you can do it. Then you must get your C's in both subjects either privately or via the college you are enrolled at.

Yes i think different universities have different entrance requirements. I did do the access program you know?
Original post by CorpusLuteum
They've gotten a whole lot harder so... I guess just be prepared for that.

is this GCSEs your talking about, or access?
Original post by MBenjamin
it's great that you want a fresh start and you have the motivation now to do something about previous mistakes, however, you may be better off looking for an apprenticeship and gaining experience in something that really interests you

Thank a lot for the advice (spelt it correctly this time, feel like a pro).

I'm pretty out of touch nowadays so whatever will help me focus on goals is always a plus.
Yes i think different universities have different entrance requirements. I did do the access program you know?

Yeah I know, I considered one myself but I decided on A Levels and which one did you do?
Thank a lot for the advice (spelt it correctly this time, feel like a pro).

I'm pretty out of touch nowadays so whatever will help me focus on goals is always a plus.

congrats!!

i dont have much more advice, but I do wish you the best of luck in your hopefully successful future!
GCSE' and GCE's.

is this GCSEs your talking about, or access?

What's access?

Quick Reply

Latest