The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevellife123
You sound well prepared! That is very impressive to get such high marks, what would you say for last minute revision tips? Also what do you think question 9 will be as last year it was spreadsheets.

Good luck to everyone! We will smash it!

All I say is read the question and really think about what it wants. Take your time. Think through every answer before you write it. You will not run out of time. I didn't have such a privilege in business which is always very tight.

Section B question 9 I have a gut feeling will be weather forecasting
Reply 221
I think its going to be car crash analysis
Original post by PedanticStudent
All I say is read the question and really think about what it wants. Take your time. Think through every answer before you write it. You will not run out of time. I didn't have such a privilege in business which is always very tight.

Thank you! Question 9 isnt that bad once its been revised!
I'm resiting this exam after getting a C last year. I got a C because i discovered I go 0 out of 16 in section B !!!!! Im worried because after reading examiner reports it says you need to number the pages in your evidence, and i was just going to reference to the pages by saying "invoice" page.Tomorrow when i get into the exam should i quickly number my evidence with a pen??????
Can someone answer this question. Don't understand the mark scheme for it.

Weather forecasting is one area which now uses simulation modelling. Describe, in general, how the models are created and the advantage and disadvantage of modelling in this context. (4 marks)

Also, for simulation modelling is it only Car Crash analysis and weather forecasting that comes up?

Did you do edexcel business?

Timing was very tight in that. I didn't finish both papers.
Reply 226
Original post by AA923
I think its going to be car crash analysis

I was going to predict "pilot flight simulation" then I looked at the WJEC thing and I realised its not even a part of the specification lol :frown:
Thus it could be to "explain how the model is created", similar to the one in 2013; but instead in context of weather forecasting, maybe in car crash analysis
Original post by collegestudentc
Can someone answer this question. Don't understand the mark scheme for it.

Weather forecasting is one area which now uses simulation modelling. Describe, in general, how the models are created and the advantage and disadvantage of modelling in this context. (4 marks)

Also, for simulation modelling is it only Car Crash analysis and weather forecasting that comes up?

Weather Forecasting:

Models are created using lots of measurements from pressure and temperature for example and are collected from balloons and satelites globally. From this laws of physics, the variables and lots of rules equations are produced and solved to produce weather forecast predictions twice a day.

One advantage of modelling is that it only takes 1 hour to produce a 6 day forecast so the process is quick. But, one disadvantage of modelling is that long range predictions cannot be 100% accurate.

Car crash:

One advantage of using simulation modelling in a car crash analysis is that it is cheaper as you do not need to crash or damage real cars. As well as, as some actions cannot be performed in real life it is safer to use simulation modelling so there is less chance someone will be injured or will die. However, simulation modelling requires powerful expensive hardware to run.
Original post by Rawr97
I was going to predict "pilot flight simulation" then I looked at the WJEC thing and I realised its not even a part of the specification lol :frown:
Thus it could be to "explain how the model is created", similar to the one in 2013; but instead in context of weather forecasting, maybe in car crash analysis

How would this be answered???
Reply 229
thanks! That makes me a little less stressed!

Sorry! :h:I didn't mean to stress you out. I was just listing the stuff that hasn't appeared yet, there's only a slim chance of them appearing or not at all
Original post by Rawr97
Sorry! :h:I didn't mean to stress you out. I was just listing the stuff that hasn't appeared yet, there's only a slim chance of them appearing or not at all

I hope none of that comes up, I mean it sounds like the chances are thin as if the exam is being scrapped the exam board probably wont be bothered to add anything new
Reply 231
How would this be answered???

Collect Data:
- large number of measurements such as pressure, weight and size of vehicle etc

Derive model:
- from law of physics
- models provide set of equation to solve

Test/ compare:
- create and test model
- do what its investigation
- check the accuracy of rules and variable

I would assume something like that
You sound well prepared! That is very impressive to get such high marks, what would you say for last minute revision tips? Also what do you think question 9 will be as last year it was spreadsheets.Good luck to everyone! We will smash it!

One tip for last minute revision is to have a look at what each mark scheme says it is looking for, for example with the 18 mark question it states
Describe four distinctly different uses of ICT for home entertainment. For each, describe specificadvantages and disadvantages.(18)(Question)
"13-18 marks Candidates give a clear, coherent answer fully and accurately describing four distinctly different developments giving advantages and disadvantages for each. They use appropriate terminology and accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar."
"7-12 marks Candidates give brief descriptions, some with advantages and disadvantages but responses lack clarity. There are a few errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar"
"1-6 marks Candidates simply make brief points and may not give advantages and disadvantages. The response lacks clarity and there are significant errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar."
"0 marks No valid response.Answers have to cover 4 uses to get full marks. (4 marks per use–non transferable + additional 2)"

Or even a question on 'Good quality information':
Other than accuracy and completeness, describe four other characteristics of goodquality information.(4)(Question)
Any four from. (A description or an example is required. The candidate must name the characteristic).
Again, hope this helps anyone/everyone and good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone have an idea what the big question will be??
Original post by Numero Uno
Anyone have an idea what the big question will be??

Entertainment/Online banking
OR
Teaching and learning with administration, this one seems more likely, but it really could be anything.
How have everyone presented section B spreadsheet ?
Original post by Jen1097
How have everyone presented section B spreadsheet ?

In a word document, we were given a check sheet with everything that needed to be on it. We were also told to put page numbers and all the other essentials like name, candidate number ECT.
Original post by collegestudentc
Did you do edexcel business?

Timing was very tight in that. I didn't finish both papers.

WJEC. I didn't run out of time but it was really close
Original post by OwenSallows
One tip for last minute revision is to have a look at what each mark scheme says it is looking for, for example with the 18 mark question it states
Describe four distinctly different uses of ICT for home entertainment. For each, describe specificadvantages and disadvantages.(18)(Question)
"13-18 marks Candidates give a clear, coherent answer fully and accurately describing four distinctly different developments giving advantages and disadvantages for each. They use appropriate terminology and accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar."
"7-12 marks Candidates give brief descriptions, some with advantages and disadvantages but responses lack clarity. There are a few errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar"
"1-6 marks Candidates simply make brief points and may not give advantages and disadvantages. The response lacks clarity and there are significant errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar."
"0 marks No valid response.Answers have to cover 4 uses to get full marks. (4 marks per use–non transferable + additional 2)"

Or even a question on 'Good quality information':
Other than accuracy and completeness, describe four other characteristics of goodquality information.(4)(Question)
Any four from. (A description or an example is required. The candidate must name the characteristic).
Again, hope this helps anyone/everyone and good luck!

Thank you this is very useful
WJEC. I didn't run out of time but it was really close

I'm so glad I only have WJEC for ICT. Wouldn't be able to cope with their s*** for other subjects :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending