The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA History A Unit 1 Predictions 2016 (medicine through time)

im starting to revise for my exam on the 6th june so any predictions for this exam, it includes medicine through time and germany nazi
Reply 1
For medicine through time, surgery and anatomy is most likely going to come up as the first section, the sources and factors :smile:
Original post by GNHD
For medicine through time, surgery and anatomy is most likely going to come up as the first section, the sources and factors :smile:

Yep! Also teachers are often able to predict what sources might come up in the exam (I know my school did last year!) so I would recommend asking your teachers tomorrow morning what kind of sources they think might come up :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by examtime123
Yep! Also teachers are often able to predict what sources might come up in the exam (I know my school did last year!) so I would recommend asking your teachers tomorrow morning what kind of sources they think might come up :smile:

I didnt know they could do that! And my teacher hasnt been present for a while now so im unable to ask her but have you been told any of the predictions
Original post by GNHD
I didnt know they could do that! And my teacher hasnt been present for a while now so im unable to ask her but have you been told any of the predictions

Ah that's annoying, and no, sorry, I haven't had a chance to ask yet!
Reply 5
Ah that's annoying, and no, sorry, I haven't had a chance to ask yet!

Ah that sucks, thank you anyway:smile:
Just out of interest, if section A was disease and infection what would you write for your 1c answer? Because I know with surgery you talk about the discovery of anaesthetics and antiseptics but what about for disease and infection?
Original post by Alex.trin
Just out of interest, if section A was disease and infection what would you write for your 1c answer? Because I know with surgery you talk about the discovery of anaesthetics and antiseptics but what about for disease and infection?

I can't think of anything other than germ theory really... Maybe you could still mention antiseptics...?
I can't think of anything other than germ theory really... Maybe you could still mention antiseptics...?

Yeah germ theory is the only thing I could think of! Let's just hope its surgery and anatomy as predicted
Yeah germ theory is the only thing I could think of! Let's just hope its surgery and anatomy as predicted

What else could you say for 1c if it is surgery and anatmoy?
What else could you say for 1c if it is surgery and anatmoy?

I would do a paragraph on the discovery of anaesthetics such as ether and chloroform but how these started the black period of surgery. Then I'd do another on antiseptics like carbolic acid and aseptic surgery and how these removed germs from the theatre, reducing he risk of infection and ending the black period of surgery.
But I completely depends on the time periods you're given
I would do a paragraph on the discovery of anaesthetics such as ether and chloroform but how these started the black period of surgery. Then I'd do another on antiseptics like carbolic acid and aseptic surgery and how these removed germs from the theatre, reducing he risk of infection and ending the black period of surgery.
But I completely depends on the time periods you're given

Thank you! We never learnt about the black period of surgery though?? What is it? :/
Thank you! We never learnt about the black period of surgery though?? What is it? :/

It was when anaesthetics were used in theatre but antiseptics hadn't yet been discovered. As doctors had time to operate, they took much longer and attempted more complex surgery but as there was no way to reduce the risk of infection, the death rate went up a lot. The discovery of antiseptics ended the black period of surgery. Hope this helps!!
It was when anaesthetics were used in theatre but antiseptics hadn't yet been discovered. As doctors had time to operate, they took much longer and attempted more complex surgery but as there was no way to reduce the risk of infection, the death rate went up a lot. The discovery of antiseptics ended the black period of surgery. Hope this helps!!

Thank you!
How did everyone find it today??
Reply 15
I thought it wasn't too bad the section b question with Robert Koch and Fleming was easy
I thought it was alright it could've gone better but I forgot to put everything in historical context and I don't know if that will affect my grade., But I really struggled with the second question cause I literally didn't have enough to write without repeating myself.
Do any of you remember the topics on this paper? I have a mock on this on Monday and I'd rather revise for whats going to come up instead of other topics...
Original post by CookieSusee
Do any of you remember the topics on this paper? I have a mock on this on Monday and I'd rather revise for whats going to come up instead of other topics...

Sorry, I completely forgot everything as soon as the exam was over lol
But it is a good idea to revise for everything rather than knowing whats in the mock because it won't be like that in the real exam, you won't know what's going to be in it. If I can give you any advice it's to actually use mocks to learn! I didn't take mocks seriously and I know I could've done better in my GCSEs if I had studied for my mocks.

(sorry for that little tangent, good luck with everything!)
Sorry, I completely forgot everything as soon as the exam was over lol
But it is a good idea to revise for everything rather than knowing whats in the mock because it won't be like that in the real exam, you won't know what's going to be in it. If I can give you any advice it's to actually use mocks to learn! I didn't take mocks seriously and I know I could've done better in my GCSEs if I had studied for my mocks.

(sorry for that little tangent, good luck with everything!)

Oh ok thank you though, and I just wanted to focus on the exam stuff since I've already got a good understanding of the unit already, but there's not harm in revising it all for practice I guess. Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending