The Student Room Group

Human biology and biology

Can I do both human biology and biology for medicine or is there no point? Will also doing human biology give me an advantage for medicine or in medical university interviews?
it depends, if your talking joint honours then possibly, look at the course content first, you can specify what you want to do in your 3rd year at uni, and for medicine you will have to specify in masters anyway. which? university website is good to look and compare courses but looking at the university website will give you a break down of the entire course :smile: hope this helps
check what is relevant in your a levels compared to the university content. ask some of your teachers and on open days, ask the university staff questions about the course if the content is not yet available online
Reply 3
Original post by lxbricxnt
check what is relevant in your a levels compared to the university content. ask some of your teachers and on open days, ask the university staff questions about the course if the content is not yet available online

The thing is human biology for higher is not taught at our school so i was thinking about self teaching it or doing it outside of school.
Original post by A.Person
The thing is human biology for higher is not taught at our school so i was thinking about self teaching it or doing it outside of school.

that might be quite difficult. i know a girl who did a level music at a different collage on top of doing 4 a levels at my sixth form. she found it very stressful. have a talk with your teachers and get their opinion. you can take some online courses that are free:

https://www.futurelearn.com

i did some on forensic and child psychology during the summer. its great for your ucas application and something to talk about in interviews to show that you are serious about learning
Reply 5
Original post by lxbricxnt
that might be quite difficult. i know a girl who did a level music at a different collage on top of doing 4 a levels at my sixth form. she found it very stressful. have a talk with your teachers and get their opinion. you can take some online courses that are free:

https://www.futurelearn.com

i did some on forensic and child psychology during the summer. its great for your ucas application and something to talk about in interviews to show that you are serious about learning

Thanks i will have a chat with my teachers.
I'm a Scottish student also (wanting to study vet med) and I had a similar question. I enquired to both Glasgow and Edinburgh universities and both said they would count human biology and normal biology as one subject if an applicant were to do both because there is a high degree of overlap. They also indicated that they had no preference of which one you chose. While human biology may seem more relevant to medicine, normal biology will be better preparation for advanced higher (as you don't get advanced higher human, only normal) and if it's the only one offered in your school, definitely go for that. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know. :smile:
Also, should have said that in future, you might want to post any questions that you have on the Scottish Qualifications forum as you will be more likely to get more relevant and appropriate answers, specific to Scottish qualifications and university applications. Here's the link :smile: : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Labrador99
Also, should have said that in future, you might want to post any questions that you have on the Scottish Qualifications forum as you will be more likely to get more relevant and appropriate answers, specific to Scottish qualifications and university applications. Here's the link :smile: : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41

OH...
Well i'll just dismiss the idea and pick something else.
OH...Well i'll just dismiss the idea and pick something else.
Out of interest what are you thinking about taking and how did your exams go?
No point, do one or the other.
I think you would probably be better off just doing Biology... most universities would probably say that the two subjects overlap, but Biology would be seen more positively than Human Biology (I presume, I only take Biology).
Reply 12
Original post by Labrador99
Out of interest what are you thinking about taking and how did your exams go?

They went okay i'm thinking about taking maths english chemsitry physics and biology.
They went okay i'm thinking about taking maths english chemsitry physics and biology.
Those are good choices (although I'm a bit biased :smile: ). All the best with your results and your highers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending