The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
Did you study analysis at least a little bit ? I mean I have that problem of rigour because in my school we study analysis and rigour is our god (if we are to solve a dif equation we should consider continuity differentiability etc so that we get all solutions) and our book is full of proofs ( 3 quarters proofs 1 quarter questions about proofs lol ) so I guess that's why I have that problem .

Lots of STEPers have probably looked at some analysis, but it's definitely not on the A-level syllabus. I think most A-level Maths students probably think of formulas for differentiation etc. as magical rules that they can't know the origin of. The nearest my class got to rigour was "well the chain rule isn't quite cancelling dx and du, but we'll pretend it is".
Original post by Glavien
For 1,2007 question 7, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465138258.032365.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't read the question but isn't D the length of P1P2 ?
the length of a vector (a,b,c) is sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2) ....
Original post by Vesniep
I haven't read the question but isn't D the length of P1P2 ?
the length of a vector (a,b,c) is sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2) ....

Yeah but in the picture, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?
Original post by Glavien
Yeah but in the picture, how did they jump from the second to last line to the last line?

second to third line : what I said in previous comment
third to last : algebra ... expand your expression so that you reach the printed result
where's the problem I don't get it ?
Original post by Vesniep
second to third line : what I said in previous comment
third to last : algebra ... expand your expression so that you reach the printed result
where's the problem I don't get it ?

For the third to last line how do you factorize once you've expanded out?
Original post by Glavien
For the third to last line how do you factorize once you've expanded out?

That's printed on the paper , if you want you can expand the result and get the same terms so that you can deduce they are equal .
Original post by Vesniep
That's printed on the paper , if you want you can expand the result and get the same terms so that you can deduce they are equal .

Ohh, thanks for that! :smile:
Has anyone here done Q8 from III 2014? I feel like that question was so awesome the next step is literally just bending spoons with ur mind.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Has anyone here done Q8 from III 2014? I feel like that question was so awesome the next step is literally just bending spoons with ur mind.

Did it last question in my mock.
Original post by EricPiphany
Did it last question in my mock.

nice, same with me. The ideas seemed simple but the last part was satisfying :smile: how did ur mock go?
nice, same with me. The ideas seemed simple but the last part was satisfying :smile: how did ur mock go?

Hard to say. I wrote something about it when I did it, can't be bothered looking for it.

BTW Question 10 on that paper. I haven't checked I did it correctly yet, but I loved it.

But I woke up today having lost the ability to do any STEP questions. poor me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65420747&postcount=282
Not so hard to find.
Hard to say. I wrote something about it when I did it, can't be bothered looking for it.

BTW Question 10 on that paper. I haven't checked I did it correctly yet, but I loved it.

But I woke up today having lost the ability to do any STEP questions. poor me.

haha. yeah I did q 10 in my mock too, probably one of only mech ones Ive done during one. but yeah it was nice to have an easy to draw situation followed by some standard pure stuff
haha. yeah I did q 10 in my mock too, probably one of only mech ones Ive done during one. but yeah it was nice to have an easy to draw situation followed by some standard pure stuff

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh yea I forgot about that, that was great!
How many marks do you think I would get for establishing the first two inequalities on STEP II 2012 Q9?
Original post by 16Characters....
How many marks do you think I would get for establishing the first two inequalities on STEP II 2012 Q9?

12 or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Merci.

Anyone else done II 2012. If so, what did you think about it?
Reply 458

I'd say around 13.

Edit: ignore, ninjaed.

Oh ffs Krollo the one mech question I've done
Reply 459
Merci.

Anyone else done II 2012. If so, what did you think about it?

Q1: lol nope.
Q2: Serious? What is this algebra ****ery.
Q3: Nice and easy, last part is trickier than it looks.
Q4: Nothing to write home about.
Q5: Again? What is with the algebra in this paper...
Q6: Lovely 10 minute-er if you can see where to go.
Q7: Annoying algebra, but surprisingly accessible for a vectors question.
Q8: Nice little sequences question, can't go wrong with it.
Q9: Standard projectiles equations and inequalities.
Q10: Haven't done.
Q11: Lovely mechanics question. Loved it.
Q12: Last bit was annoying, but first few bits were actually okay.
Q13: Anybody who didn't do this missed out big time, it's only a few lines of work and takes about 5-10 minutes for 20 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending