The Student Room Group

No hope for medicine?

Hey everyone! To those currently doing exams, I hope they're going well and good luck for the forthcoming weeks!

I am currently doing my AS levels, and unfortunately, I fear thus far, that they have gone pretty poorly.

I study chemistry (AQA) , biology (AQA), english literature (OCR) and history (AQA)...and general studies, but, well, no one gives a crap about that :wink: After every exam I've done a best case scenario and a worse case scenario, and whilst 3 exams remain, I can probably accurately predict that my grades will be:

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

At GCSE I achieved 9A*s and 2As, but this year, I've really struggled with the transition to a new school, the increased content and difficulty, as well as social factors ( I left an all girls school to a mixed school), overall, this has led to some potentially shocking grades (not shocking overall, but potentially ruining for medicine).

This is where my question comes in. Considering the new course changes, meaning AS is not carried towards any final grade at A2, do you think (that providing my UKCAT score is good/above average too (i'll start revising soon :wink:)), that given my GCSEs, that I would be successful in my pursuit of medicine? Or would you advise not applying next year, but aiming for a gap year instead, and only applying to Uni once I actually have my A2s?

Thank you in advance to anyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iamlucy
Hey everyone! To those currently doing exams, I hope they're going well and good luck for the forthcoming weeks!

I am currently doing my AS levels, and unfortunately, I fear thus far, that they have gone pretty poorly.

I study chemistry (AQA) , biology (AQA), english literature (OCR) and history (AQA)...and general studies, but, well, no one gives a crap about that :wink: After every exam I've done a best case scenario and a worse case scenario, and whilst 3 exams remain, I can probably accurately predict that my grades will be:

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

At GCSE I achieved 9A*s and 2As, but this year, I've really struggled with the transition to a new school, the increased content and difficulty, as well as social factors ( I left an all girls school to a mixed school), overall, this has led to some potentially shocking grades (not shocking overall, but potentially ruining for medicine).

This is where my question comes in. Considering the new course changes, meaning AS is not carried towards any final grade at A2, do you think (that providing my UKCAT score is good/above average too (i'll start revising soon :wink:)), that given my GCSEs, that I would be successful in my pursuit of medicine? Or would you advise not applying next year, but aiming for a gap year instead, and only applying to Uni once I actually have my A2s?

I would recommend taking a gap year i think. Medicine courses are evil to apply too. My friend is predicted 3 A* this yeah and even she has been rejected from 2 of her choices. sounds like you will want to attack the revision next year and then have a go :biggrin: Best of luck!
Original post by iamlucy

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

That wouldn't be the worst set of grades. Although you'll need to bring your chemistry up next year.

I don't think you have to put off applying this year. A lot of places don't seem to be paying much attention to as grades this year. But do your homework. Find out which places won't look at as grades and apply there. People have gotten grades like that in the old system and were still predicted As at A2 and managed to get offers. Its not impossible. There certainly isn't any harm in applying this year (unless you think it will be too much of a distraction from your studies). If you're unsuccessful you can chalk it up to experience and take a gap year anyway.

Focus on smashing your UKCAT to give you the best chance of success this year (although your GCSEs are very good so that will help too).
Original post by Samonia
I would recommend taking a gap year i think. Medicine courses are evil to apply too. My friend is predicted 3 A* this yeah and even she has been rejected from 2 of her choices. sounds like you will want to attack the revision next year and then have a go :biggrin: Best of luck!

Most definitely will attack the revision - might even start now :wink:

If you know, what did she get at AS level? I'm really sorry that happened to your friend, she must be pretty disheartened, hopefully she'll get the grades and her other choices will accept her!

Thank you very much, I appreciate the advice immensely x
Original post by ForestCat
That wouldn't be the worst set of grades. Although you'll need to bring your chemistry up next year.

I don't think you have to put off applying this year. A lot of places don't seem to be paying much attention to as grades this year. But do your homework. Find out which places won't look at as grades and apply there. People have gotten grades like that in the old system and were still predicted As at A2 and managed to get offers. Its not impossible. There certainly isn't any harm in applying this year (unless you think it will be too much of a distraction from your studies). If you're unsuccessful you can chalk it up to experience and take a gap year anyway.

Focus on smashing your UKCAT to give you the best chance of success this year (although your GCSEs are very good so that will help too).

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your advice. I do struggle with chemistry, which should suggest that I should give up with medicine, but I enjoy it and do work hard, I think time will help though :/ I will really focus on smashing the UKCAT - once next week is over, the revision begins.

Thank you again x
Original post by iamlucy
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your advice. I do struggle with chemistry, which should suggest that I should give up with medicine, but I enjoy it and do work hard, I think time will help though :/ I will really focus on smashing the UKCAT - once next week is over, the revision begins.

Thank you again x

Chemistry is a necessary evil in order to get in to medicine. But it is not an indicator whether you should do medicine or not. Just work as hard as possible to get that A and good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by iamlucy
Most definitely will attack the revision - might even start now :wink:

If you know, what did she get at AS level? I'm really sorry that happened to your friend, she must be pretty disheartened, hopefully she'll get the grades and her other choices will accept her!

Thank you very much, I appreciate the advice immensely x

She got 4 A's and her other 3 gave her offers. I really dont understand how some of these unis pick people
Reply 7
Hi,
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/
I've been worried about my Chemistry AS, but as evidenced by the link above, most medical schools aren't considering AS levels at all - provided you can be predicted 3 As and think you can pull the grades up next year, there's no reason you shouldn't go for it!
Original post by Zedna
Hi,
I've been worried about my Chemistry AS, but as evidenced by the link above, most medical schools aren't considering AS levels at all - provided you can be predicted 3 As and think you can pull the grades up next year, there's no reason you shouldn't go for it!

Thanks so much! Good luck to you, i'm sure you've done incredibly!
I'm in the exact same position, GSCE grades and moving from a girls school etc.I'm thinking of taking a gap year. Good luck =)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samonia
She got 4 A's and her other 3 gave her offers. I really dont understand how some of these unis pick people

wow. do you know which universities rejected and accepted her? Maybe it was because of GCSEs. =/
Original post by iamlucy

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

I've always wondered why people choose: General studies and critical thinking, is there a Point?
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
I've always wondered why people choose: General studies and critical thinking, is there a Point?

My college made me take general studies. I think my D exemplified how I felt about that decision.
Original post by NeverGrowUp
I'm in the exact same position, GSCE grades and moving from a girls school etc.I'm thinking of taking a gap year. Good luck =)

That's so interesting! And I can obviously sympathise with you greatly - it's an odd situation and one that's really dampened my hopes :frown: A massive good luck to you too, if you ever want to talk to someone, seeing as we're in such a similar situation, feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by TheAlphaParticle

Little point, although I was made to do it - well, that or extended project, and given the already demanding nature of my subjects, I obviously chose general studies. If you're looking at degree based on UCAS points, it's still an A-level, so it would have some value in that case, but obviously for highly academic subjects, it has no effect on anything
Reply 15
Original post by Samonia

You have to remember when applying for medical school there are such things as the UkCAT, BMAT and interviews.
Reply 16
Original post by iamlucy

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

It depends of what your school will predict you next year. If they predict you three As especially in Chem then you'll be fine. I know it maybe not be likely but some schools are quite lenient.
Never say never - justin bieber (a wise guy)

Foreal though..your GCSE grades are AMAZING which shows you have potential.. a lot to do very well in A levels. I got AABC for AS and didn't get half the amount of A*s you got. Take it step by step, do as best as you can.. see what you get for results day and don't rush into decisions. My friend got C in chemistry, did a resit for ALL chem modules (AQA) and got A. She got into medicine :smile:. Just pick wisely w varied reputations of universities so you don't meet a dead end and GO FIGHT FOR YOUR DREAMS GIRL. :biggrin:
Original post by Zedna
Hi,

you just made my day!
Hey! I got pretty good GCSE's, but not outstanding, then I got abbb at AS level in business studies, chemistry, biology and maths. I dropped maths, having obtained a b grade last year also took an EPQ, getting an a. My UKCAT was average (640ish) I applied to four medical schools, got pre interview rejections from two and then interviews at the other two. Following my interviews, I got rejected from one further medical school after I completely messed the interview up and got an offer for the other one, conditional on me achieving AAA this year in chemistry, biology and business studies.

If you have the voluntary work and work experience to show your interest and can persuade teachers to predict A grades for you next year then there is no reason not to apply. Look for medical schools that match your strengths and stay away from those that want AS grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending