The Student Room Group

Was blocking her out of my life the right thing to do?

I knew her for 5 years.

She invited me to her Prom which was in another country. She told me that a lot of guys had asked her out (she's beautiful and probably very popular at school) but she turned them all down so that she could go with me. She dropped a hint and I accepted.

During the visit her best friend came up to me and said "You have no idea how much she talks about you. I know so much about you already - she can't stop".

I ended up blocking her because I wanted to move on... I knew because of the distance nothing was going to happen... we wouldjust have this long distance thing and it would hurt me.

I've seen her since. She constantly tries to talk to me...

Did I do the right thing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tbh no
You should have at least discussed it with her
Not too late now
You probably could have spoke to her first.

You have a perfectly good reason to not want to start/continue anything. Long-distance relationships aren't for everyone. But unless you're willing to have that discussion about where it was going (if anywhere) and what options are available, you were silly to block her asap.

It's always polite to tell the other person how you're feeling about the situation and give them some form of closure, otherwise they hang on in hope - and that's not nice.
Dick move mate, you wouldn't like it if the same happened to you
Reply 4
Original post by davgen7
Tbh no
You should have at least discussed it with her
Not too late now

Even I know there's no chance now.
Reply 5
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Dick move mate, you wouldn't like it if the same happened to you

But it wasn't going anywhere. Why would I put myself through it?
To be honest, all I got from this story was:

-Pretty, popular unattainable girl is suddenly not so unattainable to me.
-I am a majestic unicorn, and the light of her life.

-*CUE BLOCKERY*.

Like wut? I'm missing the details in between. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Findlay6

You have a perfectly good reason to not want to start/continue anything. Long-distance relationships aren't for everyone. But unless you're willing to have that discussion about where it was going (if anywhere) and what options are available, you were silly to block her asap.

It's always polite to tell the other person how you're feeling about the situation and give them some form of closure, otherwise they hang on in hope - and that's not nice.

Neither of us wanted to have a LDR. Both of us admitted we needed intimacy and we simply wouldn't get it in a LDR.

I did tell her how I felt - she knew. I don't know what she wanted from me to be honest, I never knew.

I don't think she liked expressing how she felt when people were around... although on a few occasions it seemed she couldn't hold back. It was her friends telling me. When we were alone together she opened up completely and I could tell how she felt.
Reply 8
Original post by flyingpanda
To be honest, all I got from this story was:

-Pretty, popular unattainable girl is suddenly not so unattainable to me.
-I am a majestic unicorn, and the light of her life.

-*CUE BLOCKERY*.

Like wut? I'm missing the details in between. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Hard for you? What the hell are you on about?
not nice
Original post by Anonymous
But it wasn't going anywhere. Why would I put myself through it?

It's not a very nice thing to experience I'm sure, but you have to think about the bigger picture. You chose the easy solution rather than the best solution, humans can be dangerous creatures at times
How could you do that fam
Neither of us wanted to have a LDR. Both of us admitted we needed intimacy and we simply wouldn't get it in a LDR.

I did tell her how I felt - she knew. I don't know what she wanted from me to be honest, I never knew.

I don't think she liked expressing how she felt when people were around... although on a few occasions it seemed she couldn't hold back. It was her friends telling me. When we were alone together she opened up completely and I could tell how she felt.

Nobody likes to declare their love around friends/family - it's awkward and embarrassing for some. She asked her friends to tell you because the rejection/your reaction wouldn't bother the friends, but could potentially crush her.

I think that because you're having to ask, you know what the answer is. You shouldn't have blocked her out. Talk to her about it, give each other some space and be online friends.
Original post by BrianMcEgg
It's not a very nice thing to experience I'm sure, but you have to think about the bigger picture. You chose the easy solution rather than the best solution, humans can be dangerous creatures at times

So what do you think would have been the best solution? I know it's useless to know now, but I'd like to.

I really didn't know what the bigger picture was at the time... I still don't really. I don't really know how she felt about us, what she really thought about me and what she wanted.
Original post by samina_ay
How could you do that fam

I thought I could move on by blocking her.
Nobody likes to declare their love around friends/family - it's awkward and embarrassing for some. She asked her friends to tell you because the rejection/your reaction wouldn't bother the friends, but could potentially crush her.

I think that because you're having to ask, you know what the answer is. You shouldn't have blocked her out. Talk to her about it, give each other some space and be online friends.

To tell me what?

From what her friend said, she was just talking about me a lot.

I can't be friends with her... seriously, I have no interest in a platonic friendship.
Original post by cupcakes87
not nice

I know, but at the time it felt like the right thing to do.
Hard for you? What the hell are you on about?

Why are you actually blocking her? Were you dating and now have just broken up? Is one of you going to Uni miles away? Were there any fights leading up to this blocking?
I know, but at the time it felt like the right thing to do.

did you bother thinking it through?

Agree with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending