The Student Room Group

Why do leave voters keep saying the EU is undemocratic?

1a) The UK only has 73 MEPs.
1b) There are altogether 751 MEPs.
1c) The UK only has 9.72% of the voting power. (73 / 751 x 100)
1d) The UK population constitutes 12.74% of the EU population.

Source 1, 2 & 3

2a) MEPs can't repeal or amend legislation.
2b) MEPs can't propose legislation; MEPs don't have the right to legislative initiative.
2c) The EC has one member per member state, but each member is bound by oath to represent the interest of the EU; not its state.
2d) On the premise that the UK's European Commissioner represented the UK's interest (which it doesn't), that's not representative for the UK's population size.

Seemingly possible counter-arguments...
1) The UK has an unelected monarchy, and laws require Royal Assent.
2) The UK has an unelected House of Lords.
3) The UK has low turnout rates for MEPs.

Criticism of those seemingly possible counter-arguments...
1) Royal Assent has a track record of just being a formality.
2) The House of Lords can only delay non-finance-related legislation for up to a year. The House of Lords is a revision chamber, and the UK has more pressing concerns about its quite democratic system.
3) I acknowledge that the UK would have more influence if turnout rates were higher, but that doesn't discount the democratic deficit in the EU. (I hope I've used the phrase "democratic deficit" in the correct context here.)

Feel free to dispute what I said.

Inb4 you used Wikipedia as a source?
Inb4 it doesn't matter

If you think democracy doesn't matter, where hast thou principles!?!?

Scroll to see replies

Does the UK fully represent everyones constituency? Of course not. But it's interests are better realised as part of a collective body in the wider UK.

If my constituency were to secede from the UK it would theoretically be far more accountable and democratic, but in turn it would be costly, inefficient and would ultimately weaken them- leaving them to losing the gains made in the first place.

So it is within the EU. I see the EU as a Social Contract among states.
1a-d: Well that is the case for all the big countries. That is to allow for smaller countries such as Malta to have a voice.

In the same way, the Shetland Islands also have an equal voice to a London Borough, even if it contains less people.

Like with the UK Parliament. The EU Parliament can dismiss the Commission and reject legislation. It isn't really any different.

2a-d The Commission is like the cabinet. The UK cabinet is not voted in. It is chosen. Well, obviously, the commisioner must act in the best interests of Europe. That would be like complaining, the Health Minister cannot build an extra hospital in his borough.

If you want to claim the EU is undemocratic then you have to claim that the UK is as well. ..... House of Lords anyone?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Davij038
Does the UK fully represent everyones constituency? Of course not. But it's interests are better realised as part of a collective body in the wider UK.

If my constituency were to secede from the UK it would theoretically be far more accountable and democratic, but in turn it would be costly, inefficient and would ultimately weaken them- leaving them to losing the gains made in the first place.

But how can you get representation in the EU if we have so little power in the EU?

Yes, we have representation in the EP, but our representation amounts to nothing (very little.)
its basically leave supporters regurgitating Gove/Farage/Johnson/IDS's flawed rhetoric, they have no actual understanding to what it means to its core, like most issues about a Brexit
Original post by DorianGrayism
1a-d: Well that is the case for all the big countries. That is to allow for smaller countries such as Malta to have a voice.

In the same way, the Shetland Islands also have an equal voice to a London Borough, even if it contains less people.

Like with the UK Parliament. The EU Parliament can dismiss the Commission and reject legislation. It isn't really any different.

2a-d The Commission is like the cabinet. The UK cabinet is not voted in. It is chosen. Well, obviously, the commisioner must act in the best interests of Europe. That would be like complaining, the Health Minister cannot build an extra hospital in his borough.

If you want to claim the EU is undemocratic then you have to claim that the UK is as well. ..... House of Lords anyone?

"Like with the UK Parliament. The EU Parliament can dismiss the Commission and reject legislation."

But MPs in the House of Commons can propose, repeal or amend legislation, can't they / can they not?

"The Commission is like the cabinet."

But the EC is officially supposed to work in the EU's interest.

"House of Lords anyone?"

Did you read point 2 in criticism?
Reply 7
[video="youtube;rNJ05NfM-4Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJ05NfM-4Y[/video]
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
its basically leave supporters regurgitating Gove/Farage/Johnson/IDS's flawed rhetoric, they have no actual understanding to what it means to its core, like most issues about a Brexit

So why don't you take 5 minutes out of your time and explain why my points were wrong, instead of making point, point, point and doing nothing to substantiate your claim?
Original post by XcitingStuart
But how can you get representation in the EU if we have so little power in the EU?

Yes, we have representation in the EP, but our representation amounts to nothing (very little.)

Why should we have more representation than we already do? Why should we have more representation than other larger EU economies?
"Like with the UK Parliament. The EU Parliament can dismiss the Commission and reject legislation."

But MPs in the House of Commons can propose, repeal or amend legislation, can't they / can they not?

Well.....yes........I don't really see how that makes the EU Parliament undemocratic.

"The Commission is like the cabinet."

But the EC is officially supposed to work in the EU's interest.

Yes...in the same way, the Health minister works in the favour of the UK. It doesn't make any sense to make the Commission working in national interests.

"House of Lords anyone?"

Did you read point 2 in criticism?

It doesn't change that allowing Bishops, rich donors and etc to vote on legislation is profoundly undemocratic, let alone change legislation.
18 days to go!!

Did you read my post?

It's exactly the same with my constituency being represented in the UK Parliament where my constituency Is one out of 650. But it would be sheer stupidly for my constituency to go it alone
Original post by tanyapotter
Why should we have more representation than we already do? Why should we have more representation than other larger EU economies?

Did you not read point 1?
I'll quote a bit of it:

1c) The UK only has 9.72% of the voting power. (73 / 751 x 100)
1d) The UK population constitutes 12.74% of the EU population."

It's not representational; the lesser 3.02% seems quite a lot to me, in terms of politics. (12.74% - 9.72%)
Reply 14

...Every constituency gets an MP.
So why don't you take 5 minutes out of your time and explain why my points were wrong, instead of making point, point, point and doing nothing to substantiate your claim?

No one's saying it isn't undemocratic, but democracy is overrated. I trust some people in Brussels, who are out of the media spotlight, who aren't forced to bow to political pressure or media pressure to appease their supporters, to make laws rather than a labour or tory government. The EU laws have helped raise Europe-wide standards, and there isn't a single law that has been passed which is genuinely threatening, but we have this constant threat of 'changing human rights' by the tories over here, I don't know much about it to the core, but you get the point. The tories wanted to force all schools to become academies, and they're taxing higher on sugar - both for no particular reason other than to milk a bit of extra money somewhere down the line. Not to mention the life-damaging policies like raising tuition fees. I think it can be argued on some occasions that the EU gives us more democracy and more rights by preventing our own government from making absurd laws - which I don't think wouldn't be expected of our current government.

And you mentioned it yourself, the House of Lords, the royal family... unelected. But so what? 'Undemocratic' is the new 'racism' or the new 'marxism' - words that people like you throw out into the crowd and everyone shies away from like its cancer. The truth is, it doesn't matter and its the least important issue on the table. What's more important is the economic implications a Brexit will have on us, farmers, fishermen, etc will lose out from the EU, our economy will shrink, we will have less influence on the world stage, we will be forced to accept EU-Britain trade deals without having control over them. The motto is "vote leave, take control" but the reality is we lose control if we leave, we step into the unknown with some vague hopes that we are able to adopt a Canada or Denmark style deal, well those things are explicitly far from ideal. We have people complaining about immigration, leaving the EU doesn't put the brakes on immigration, it just concentrates it to non-Eu immigrants.

It is no wonder that the only four prominent buffoons who support a Brexit are the three tory rebels and Farage, three of whom likely don't even care about whether or not we leave and just want more tory power.
Did you read my post?

It's exactly the same with my constituency being represented in the UK Parliament where my constituency Is one out of 650. But it would be sheer stupidly for my constituency to go it alone

And you still ignore the fact that MPs have the right to legislative initiative, whilst MEPs don't.
You still ignore the fact that MEPs can't repeal or amend legislation, as opposed to MPs.

Your constituency gets representation in the House of Commons, as do we all in the EU, but our representation in the EU amounts to a lot less when it lacks these legislative powers.
1) Leave the EU.
2) Change anthem to "Jerusalem".
[video="youtube;041nXAAn714"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714[/video]
What a ****ing beautiful song.
3)?????
4) profit.
You can make the same argument that the UK is undemocratic based on the number of eligible voters per constituency. Inevitably there will always be some disparity to make sure everyone gets a voice. Based on this the Isle of Wight are getting screwed and should secede from the mainland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_Parliament_constituencies

Even If we had 12.74% of the seats I personally think some Eurosceptics would still be complaining.

How does 10% of the vote share amount to very little? We have a hell of a lot more power in the EU than we have in deciding our own MPs.

Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
No one's saying it isn't undemocratic, but democracy is overrated. I trust some people in Brussels, who are out of the media spotlight, who aren't forced to bow to political pressure or media pressure to appease their supporters, to make laws rather than a labour or tory government. The EU laws have helped raise Europe-wide standards, and there isn't a single law that has been passed which is genuinely threatening, but we have this constant threat of 'changing human rights' by the tories over here, I don't know much about it to the core, but you get the point. The tories wanted to force all schools to become academies, and they're taxing higher on sugar - both for no particular reason other than to milk a bit of extra money somewhere down the line. Not to mention the life-damaging policies like raising tuition fees. I think it can be argued on some occasions that the EU gives us more democracy and more rights by preventing our own government from making absurd laws - which I don't think wouldn't be expected of our current government.

And you mentioned it yourself, the House of Lords, the royal family... unelected. But so what? 'Undemocratic' is the new 'racism' or the new 'marxism' - words that people like you throw out into the crowd and everyone shies away from like its cancer. The truth is, it doesn't matter and its the least important issue on the table. What's more important is the economic implications a Brexit will have on us, farmers, fishermen, etc will lose out from the EU, our economy will shrink, we will have less influence on the world stage, we will be forced to accept EU-Britain trade deals without having control over them. The motto is "vote leave, take control" but the reality is we lose control if we leave, we step into the unknown with some vague hopes that we are able to adopt a Canada or Denmark style deal, well those things are explicitly far from ideal. We have people complaining about immigration, leaving the EU doesn't put the brakes on immigration, it just concentrates it to non-Eu immigrants.

It is no wonder that the only four prominent buffoons who support a Brexit are the three tory rebels and Farage, three of whom likely don't even care about whether or not we leave and just want more tory power.

So true. Our elected government is systematically selling and destroying this country, while the EU has consistently introduced progressive, evidence-based legislation that benefits all of us. If the democratic government is going to tear the country apart for profit, while the undemocratic government is going to represent my interests fairly and make decisions that need to be made, of course I'd rather be ruled by the undemocratic government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending