The Student Room Group

BY1 AND BY2 WJEC resit exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aladdin818
Hi guys.

I am resitting my BY2 paper! i didn't resit the BY1 paper tho but out of curiosity, which essays were given on the BY1 paper this year? & anyone have any ideas on which essays it may be this year:[ my essay really let me down last year (got 5/10)

I'm not doing BY2 but for BY1 resit it was on mitosis and on biosensors
Hi guys.

I am resitting my BY2 paper! i didn't resit the BY1 paper tho but out of curiosity, which essays were given on the BY1 paper this year? & anyone have any ideas on which essays it may be this year:[ my essay really let me down last year (got 5/10)

I'm doing BY2 aswell, hoping that the essays will be as nice as BY1, something to do with the heart or gaseous exchange would be great!
Original post by steph100698
I'm doing BY2 aswell, hoping that the essays will be as nice as BY1, something to do with the heart or gaseous exchange would be great!

Yeah! for the last 2 years, the essay questions have been based around the heart transport topic so I think they may throw in another one but they haven't had a digestion kinda one in a while? For some reason I think one will be on that topic..
How did BY2 go for everyone?
I thought BY2 was okay.. it could've been a lot worse
The essays were on animal transport ... again -____-

paper was okay imo. Just some odd questions.
Which essay did you pick? I picked the one about the heart but panicked at the end because I'd written the whole essay and thought id written it abot the wrong thing, still not sure even now!-.-
Which essay did you pick? I picked the one about the heart but panicked at the end because I'd written the whole essay and thought id written it abot the wrong thing, still not sure even now!-.-

I picked blood vessels! But I literally kept repeating points! -_- and didn't look over blood vessels for about 1 week so couldn't say much but I knew more about it then pressure changes etc. D:
I picked blood vessels! But I literally kept repeating points! -_- and didn't look over blood vessels for about 1 week so couldn't say much but I knew more about it then pressure changes etc. D:

I read it as how the heartbeats initiated and controlled so wrote all about the sino atrial node and electrical impulses but didnt notice it was about pressure changes until literally the last minute, im absolutely gutted :frown:
I read it as how the heartbeats initiated and controlled so wrote all about the sino atrial node and electrical impulses but didnt notice it was about pressure changes until literally the last minute, im absolutely gutted :frown:

ohhh i see :/ Damn. Essay aside, how do you feel the paper went? Could it counteract for the essay? But it did say cardiac cycle or something so Im sure stuff you put down are relevant. :-) just work hard for BY4 and BY5 ... (need to start some serious BY5 I literally know nothing)
ohhh i see :/ Damn. Essay aside, how do you feel the paper went? Could it counteract for the essay? But it did say cardiac cycle or something so Im sure stuff you put down are relevant. :-) just work hard for BY4 and BY5 ... (need to start some serious BY5 I literally know nothing)

The essay did say something like how the pessure changes are initiated and controlled so im hoping that some of it is relevant. I thought it went much better than last year but there were some weird questions, like the mistletoe one and the bird with the countercurrent flow but I still managed to answer everything. Im the same with BY5 i know absoultely nothing! But i really like BY4 so hoping the paper will be as nice as BY1!
The essay did say something like how the pessure changes are initiated and controlled so im hoping that some of it is relevant. I thought it went much better than last year but there were some weird questions, like the mistletoe one and the bird with the countercurrent flow but I still managed to answer everything. Im the same with BY5 i know absoultely nothing! But i really like BY4 so hoping the paper will be as nice as BY1!

Yeah just keep a positive mind :biggrin: and oh God I know. I asked my teacher about the mistletoe question (being partially parasitic) and she said it photosynthesises Im like okay yeah that definitely did not cross my mind at all o.o how were you supposed to know that from the passage given.. lol but oh well & the whole birds crap was a load of crap. The countercurrent I just did stuff similar to fish counter current <><

BY4 is good, BY5 ... i hate genetics :frown: and its basically all genetics/dna/reproduction.
Yeah just keep a positive mind :biggrin: and oh God I know. I asked my teacher about the mistletoe question (being partially parasitic) and she said it photosynthesises Im like okay yeah that definitely did not cross my mind at all o.o how were you supposed to know that from the passage given.. lol but oh well & the whole birds crap was a load of crap. The countercurrent I just did stuff similar to fish counter current <><

BY4 is good, BY5 ... i hate genetics :frown: and its basically all genetics/dna/reproduction.

Ahhh that makes more sense, i just completely guessed because the information given didnt give you much. Im the exact same I hate all of the genetics and DNA in BY5 its just horrible:frown: I love BY4 with the nervous system and kidney!
Ahhh that makes more sense, i just completely guessed because the information given didnt give you much. Im the exact same I hate all of the genetics and DNA in BY5 its just horrible:frown: I love BY4 with the nervous system and kidney!

Even though it makes sense I still wouldn't have got it :} haha. I know :[ Yeah I love kidneys and nervous system too! Im hoping an essay on one of those come up (fingers crossed).
Reply 34
Even though it makes sense I still wouldn't have got it :} haha. I know :[ Yeah I love kidneys and nervous system too! Im hoping an essay on one of those come up (fingers crossed).

I think it went okay as well, much better than last year! Does anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?
Original post by baxter76
I think it went okay as well, much better than last year! Does anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?

Hey :smile: I did the paper too. Managed to answer all of the questions but found some of them were worded weirdly/so applied that it was difficult to work out what it was asking. The bird question threw me off too but I assumed they were trying to trick us with the huge paragraph then subtly mentioning it was counter current, I wrote same stuff as would for fish. I did the heart 10 marker as well and my god did the confuse me. I wrote mostly about cardiac cycle but linked in control of heartbeat as I went because I didn't know which one it was asking so wrote both, girls in my class did the same as you though don't worry! Anyone wanna try and put together an unofficial mark scheme? Can't find one or a thread for this paper. The partial parasite thing got me as well, I had no idea it was for photosynthesis....oh well only a couple marks. What do you guys think grade boundaries will be? I hope they don't shoot up :frown:
Original post by alevelsarepoo
Hey :smile: I did the paper too. Managed to answer all of the questions but found some of them were worded weirdly/so applied that it was difficult to work out what it was asking. The bird question threw me off too but I assumed they were trying to trick us with the huge paragraph then subtly mentioning it was counter current, I wrote same stuff as would for fish. I did the heart 10 marker as well and my god did the confuse me. I wrote mostly about cardiac cycle but linked in control of heartbeat as I went because I didn't know which one it was asking so wrote both, girls in my class did the same as you though don't worry! Anyone wanna try and put together an unofficial mark scheme? Can't find one or a thread for this paper. The partial parasite thing got me as well, I had no idea it was for photosynthesis....oh well only a couple marks. What do you guys think grade boundaries will be? I hope they don't shoot up :frown:

A lot of people found the paper quite difficult in my year and there were a lot off-putting type of questions on that paper.

2015 Grade boundaries :
A = 63%
B = 55%

A = 58%
B = 51%

A = 66%
B = 60%

I feel as if this paper was BETTER than 2014 and 2015 but not as good as 2013.. so grade boundaries will probably be..

A = 62-65%
B = 55-58%

But idk! this is just my predictions :smile: but when I did this last year I was very close in predicting:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
What were the answers for thoe microscope questions in by2 labelling the three tissues? Does anyone have the unofficial markscheme? And for the essay abt blood vessels were we supposed to mention abt pressure changes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending