The Student Room Group

How much do bills cost? (Water, Gas, Electric, Wifi).

Hi there,

I am currently in my second year of university. The past two years I have lived in halls and a shared student house, both of which had all bills included in the rent.

However I have just signed for a 2 bed flat for the next academic year. It was through a letting agency, and the rental price does not include any bills.

In order to help calculate my budget, I was wondering how much money I should expect to be added onto my rent in order to pay for water, gas, electricity and wifi between two people?

Is anyone here in the same position?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Bezoar
Hi there,

I am currently in my second year of university. The past two years I have lived in halls and a shared student house, both of which had all bills included in the rent.

However I have just signed for a 2 bed flat for the next academic year. It was through a letting agency, and the rental price does not include any bills.

In order to help calculate my budget, I was wondering how much money I should expect to be added onto my rent in order to pay for water, gas, electricity and wifi between two people?

Thanks in advance

I've been renting a 2 bed flat with my boyfriend for the past 2 years, we've never had a gas supply but our electric is £30 a month and the internet is £25 (we can't get fibre in our area but if you can i'd assume an extra £10 for that), water prices are different in different counties but ours is just short of £24 a month. So i'd say assume £40 each for bills :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I've been renting a 2 bed flat with my boyfriend for the past 2 years, we've never had a gas supply but our electric is £30 a month and the internet is £25 (we can't get fibre in our area but if you can i'd assume an extra £10 for that), water prices are different in different counties but ours is just short of £24 a month. So i'd say assume £40 each for bills :smile:

Which companies are you with?
Npower for electric, ee for internet and united utilities is our water company i think
Original post by Bezoar
Hi there,

Thanks in advance

https://www.splitthebills.co.uk/

Use this website to get a more accurate estimate specific to your area and the utilities you'll be using.
Original post by claireestelle

Is it unlimited internet? so is it about £10 extra per week for each of you? also how do you go about setting up gas/electric etc when you move in? Sorry for all the questions, I've never done this before so it's a bit alien to me hahah
Original post by SophieSmall
https://www.splitthebills.co.uk/

Use this website to get a more accurate estimate specific to your area and the utilities you'll be using.

Do you use this website to pay your bills then or just an estimate?
Original post by Bezoar
Is it unlimited internet? so is it about £10 extra per week for each of you? also how do you go about setting up gas/electric etc when you move in? Sorry for all the questions, I've never done this before so it's a bit alien to me hahah

Yes, but EE likes to slow the speed between 6pm-10pm so technically i wouldnt call it that:P yes about £10 :smile: you basically sign up to which ever company you want to online, when you first move in you should still be connected with whoever the previous tenants used so you'll get an account closing bill if you dont decide to stay with that company.
Original post by Bezoar
Do you use this website to pay your bills then or just an estimate?

I use them to pay bills, purely because I live with 7 other people. And chasing other people to pay bills is not fun and can leave you broke. They take the stress completely out of it.
It depends on property size, gas/electric heating, and what internet you want or can get.

Sky for example often have offers where you get unlimited fibre and line rental for like £27 a month or even as low as £17 so divide that by how many tenants in house.

Most peoples electric bills are around £10-15 per week I live alone and pay less than that because I have one shower a day and use washing machine once a week so its more about if you have dishwasher, do multiple washing machine/dryer loads a week, have multiple showers a day etc, heating is the main expenditure which can be about £10-£20 per week on average (again divide by how many live there)

Its all estimates as I am the lower end of everything and some people just have heating on all the time and around 3 showers a day or similar.
The water is entirely based on usage, since each water company has a monopoly in their area (for the obvious reason that you can't run two sets of water down one pipe), so it's entirely based on usage. However, if you put a brick in the toilet cistern, and try to be frugal, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Gas shouldn't be too bad. You can choose between a lot of different companies, and if you're again careful (only use the heating when it's cold, maybe make some draft excluders, maybe use the microwave if electricity's cheaper than gas) then again, should be fine.
Same with electricity. Be frugal and it should work out. Maybe read more books or something.
Original post by Gauntlets28
The water is entirely based on usage, since each water company has a monopoly in their area (for the obvious reason that you can't run two sets of water down one pipe), so it's entirely based on usage. However, if you put a brick in the toilet cistern, and try to be frugal, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Gas shouldn't be too bad. You can choose between a lot of different companies, and if you're again careful (only use the heating when it's cold, maybe make some draft excluders, maybe use the microwave if electricity's cheaper than gas) then again, should be fine.
Same with electricity. Be frugal and it should work out. Maybe read more books or something.

What you said about the water costs is mot always true. Yes some places have a water meter and you pay for what you use. But a lot of water is a fixed annual amount decided by the water company. That's how ours is.

Quick Reply

Latest