The Student Room Group

What was your jump from a levels to uni like?

Scroll to see replies

It was a huge jump, much bigger than GCSE to A Level. It wasn't so much the difficulty as the vast quantity of content and the unpredictability of exams that made it so hard.
Original post by Themini
Why the hate and over sensitivity? I agree with @Ras' Al Ghul and what he's said so far. Psychology and subjects like geography are not actual sciences..its a joke to believe they are. His point was regarding stats- the bridge between A level S1, S2 and uni isn't that great often parts of the modules covered in A level are not done at degree level (although this is subjective) as it may not be relevant for the degree course plan.

Source: Best friend studying Psychology at Bath.

It's ironic how neither one of you have studied it yet seem to have such a strong opinion about it.
Original post by Plagioclase
It was a huge jump, much bigger than GCSE to A Level. It wasn't so much the difficulty as the vast quantity of content and the unpredictability of exams that made it so hard.

My problem with uni wasn't the quantity but the difficult of content. Quantity of work becomes a problem sometimes but it's mostly difficulty of content.
Original post by cherryred90s
You belittled the degree and then made out as if you know all about it when you don't

Because I said it's not a real science you're so mad? Social sciences aren't real sciences like the natural ones, they just have the namesake. It's not my fault you felt belittled by my comment because it wasn't directed at you.
I'm going to be studying Mechanical Engineering next year, but I've only done up to M2 for mechanics modules at A-level, so I think I'll have to teach myself M3 and perhaps M4 during the summer. Hopefully that will bridge the gap.
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm going to be studying Mechanical Engineering next year, but I've only done up to M2 for mechanics modules at A-level, so I think I'll have to teach myself M3 and perhaps M4 during the summer. Hopefully that will bridge the gap.

It won't. Spend your summer enjoying your free time and a life free of stress.
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
Because I said it's not a real science you're so mad? Social sciences aren't real sciences like the natural ones, they just have the namesake. It's not my fault you felt belittled by my comment because it wasn't directed at you.

The thing is, it was completely unnecessary to say, and just because it isn't a natural science doesn't mean it's not difficult. I don't know why people on TSR are so judgemental
It's ironic how neither one of you have studied it yet seem to have such a strong opinion about it.

That's because neither of us want to end up unemployed. There's a reason why psychology, history and philosophy graduates are unemployed/ have very low employment/ wages respectively amongst other graduates from the same university. That's just a harsh reality.. Ask any geography student, I guarantee they lose their jobs to geology students in the same field.

Well this escalated quickly...lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
That's because neither of us want to end up unemployed. There's a reason why psychology, history and philosophy graduates are unemployed/ have very low employment amongst other graduates from the same university.

Your ignorance speaks volumes. The degree itself isn't what makes you unemployed. You can be unemployed with any non vocational degree
The thing is, it was completely unnecessary to say, and just because it isn't a natural science doesn't mean it's not difficult. I don't know why people on TSR are so judgemental

The guy literally said his science a levels were harder than his degree in psychology? The explanation of why that is, is pretty obvious and that's why I said it. I know they say the truth offends but this is the first time I've seen it in action.
Reply 50
Original post by Themini
That's because neither of us want to end up unemployed. There's a reason why psychology, history and philosophy graduates are unemployed/ have very low employment/ wages respectively amongst other graduates from the same university. That's just a harsh reality.. Ask any geography student, I guarantee they lose their jobs to geology students in the same field.

Well this escalated quickly...lol.

Lol, but some of us actually need a psychology degree (as a requirement) to pursue the career we want...

Not offended or anything, just pointing that out.
The guy literally said his science a levels were harder than his degree in psychology? The explanation of why that is, is pretty obvious and that's why I said it. I know they say the truth offends but this is the first time I've seen it in action.

ok
Your ignorance speaks volumes. The degree itself isn't what makes you unemployed. You can be unemployed with any non vocational degree
Most employers disagree with your point when they look at CVS and qualifications of possible candidates, there are a lot of vocational degrees but some are just useless in the real world amongst main-stream jobs. Unless you have a niche well-paid job lined up, GLHF.

Where does a psychology student fit in the general grand scheme of things?
Nationwide? - No..What if you're a business/ finance student? YES What if you did maths? Yes What if you did a straight business management course- bog standard- YES. What if you did something really vocational like media studies or social media or art and design? - YES YES YES - perfect for marketing dept.
Honda?- No - Engineering degree? Yes, Business degree- Yes Art degree? - YES marketing dept. They accept people with strong performances in Bio/Chem degrees into their graduate schemes.
The council? - No - Business? Public services? Transport? Art degree?management? - YES YES YES
The NHS?- No..don't be silly they can barely afford to pay qualified doctors. Chemistry degree? Yes Biology degree- Yes, researches needed, Medicine degree? Obviously yes.. physiotherapist? YES
The police?- Dream on..unless you've got 20 years experience in the force and criminology. Business student? Yes, engineer? Yes Biology degree? Yes- forensics dept
Supermarket? Yes why not..there are plenty of jobs going.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Wahrheit
Entirely different to the experience I had/am having. I guess it depends on the course and institution? I worked out the amount of work/course content we had in first year in econ and was pretty much the equivalent of 4 full a levels - and I mean FULL A levels, so AS and A2.

Breaks down that we covered from scratch to beyond A level for Econ, did stats which was equivalent of S1-S4, learnt STATA, had a module applying stats to economics, Maths went significantly beyond further maths but in terms of content covered it works out that we did more than all the core/further pure by quite a way. That all works out as 3/4 of first year and then the last quarter is electives, which are similarly sized, so yeah, would say this year was equivalent to doing Maths, further maths, economics and history (because of my electives) AS + A level in one year.

Big difference is you don't have anywhere near the contact time you get at school, so you can get away with working less, but you'll get a nasty surprise at the end of the year if you do :tongue:

What university are you studying Economics at?
ok

If that's what was bothering you all along why did you go off on what I was saying on statistics?
If that's what was bothering you all along why did you go off on what I was saying on statistics?

Insecurities probably. Extra defensive if something negative is said about the course. Same stuff I went through, I considered psychology. Parents told me the reality, I was in denial then realised they were right after my internship at Nationwide so decided to do an extra year. I didn't want to come out in debt and only get paid between £13500-£16000. That's the reality.

I know you can get more if you stick around and get into niche segments but honestly..time moves on and niches die out so I wanted something more stable
(edited 7 years ago)

That's not what bothered me, I just cba to continue this :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Themini

The NHS?- No..don't be silly they can barely afford to pay qualified doctors.

The NHS funds the doctorate for Clinical Psychology...
That's not what bothered me, I just cba to continue this :smile:

Ok

I swear if you had done my degree, you would have failed to get a third, let alone a 2.1 that's how easy it was. Very VERY difficult! (ps i did sociology with theatre studies at derby)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending