The Student Room Group

How to get in touch with my more Pakistani side?

So I'm half Pakistani right, but I feel totally disconnected from the culture. I'm pretty western.

I eat some pakistani food, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

why would you even want to? what is good about pakistan compared to the west? exactly
Original post by sleepysnooze
why would you even want to? what is good about pakistan compared to the west? exactly

This is something I'd like to explore :smile:
Go to Pakistani weddings
Reply 4
Original post by hezzlington
This is something I'd like to explore :smile:

U know any Pakistani people, trying hanging out with them lol. On second thought, ignore my advice haha
Original post by Rhythmical
Go to Pakistani weddings

I don't have any Pakistani friends.

When is our wedding btw..
Visit Pakistan with your family during winter :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KeepRollingFazzy

Mans removed the dog filter hahaha

My pakistani family all live in Australia/Doha.

And my mother has no desire to travel to Pakistan :frown:

I've heard it's a beautiful country. I'd love to see the Himalayas
I don't have any Pakistani friends.

When is our wedding btw..

I dunno, ask for my hand in marriage first :colondollar: and we had two kids already, just saying :wink:
I dunno, ask for my hand in marriage first :colondollar: and we had two kids already, just saying ;)

:afraid: so haram
Original post by ZAYN.
Mans removed the dog filter hahaha

It's Ramadhan and it is haram lol

Spoiler

:afraid: so haram

I don't think they were Muslim kids, see you being the father aren't Muslim and in Islam the kids follow the father's religion so it is all good :tongue: I'll show you the beauty of Pakistan :wink: if you Google Quetta, it is a beautiful place.
My pakistani family all live in Australia/Doha.

And my mother has no desire to travel to Pakistan :frown:

I've heard it's a beautiful country. I'd love to see the Himalayas

Thats a westernised pakistani family lol
You can go by yourself as well if you wish to especially Lahore and Islamabad they are beautiful cities :biggrin:
I don't think they were Muslim kids, see you being the father aren't Muslim and in Islam the kids follow the father's religion so it is all good :tongue: I'll show you the beauty of Pakistan :wink: if you Google Quetta, it is a beautiful place.

You are in a particularly cheeky mood tonight, aren't you Rhythmical?

I'll have a gander :smile:
Thats a westernised pakistani family lol
You can go by yourself as well if you wish to especially Lahore and Islamabad they are beautiful cities :biggrin:

Yep very Westernized indeed. They all know Urdu/some know Arabic but nobody taught me. I'd love to learn
You are in a particularly cheeky mood tonight, aren't you Rhythmical?

I'll have a gander :smile:

Well what do you expect, I'm living off literally no sleep :redface:
Original post by sleepysnooze

I don't think it's about that though; it's a big and important part of who somebody is. Getting to know and exploring their own culture doesn't mean they'll prefer it or even compare it to the Western system. It's better to educate and understand than completely cut out altogether, I guess. :smile:

@hezzlington - I think it's a good idea for you to do this. I'm not sure how though really. If your parents and whatnot are quite integrated and have no desire to go to Pakistan, then you're probably limited. I guess you could try reading around your culture and history to get a feel for it that way. That might best inform you of how you could go about getting to know it better. :dontknow: Sorry I'm not much help here.
Original post by ivybridge
I don't think it's about that though; it's a big and important part of who somebody is. Getting to know and exploring their own culture doesn't mean they'll prefer it or even compare it to the Western system. It's better to educate and understand than completely cut out altogether, I guess. :smile:

@hezzlington - I think it's a good idea for you to do this. I'm not sure how though really. If your parents and whatnot are quite integrated and have no desire to go to Pakistan, then you're probably limited. I guess you could try reading around your culture and history to get a feel for it that way. That might best inform you of how you could go about getting to know it better. :dontknow: Sorry I'm not much help here.

No, no, that's actually a fantastic way of learning about ones culture, something I hadn't even considered! - really good post. But then again..everything you post is gold.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, no, that's actually a fantastic way of learning about ones culture - really good post. But then again..everything you post is gold.

:colondollar:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest