The Student Room Group

Muslim students of TSR

Revision plan whilst fasting?

I foolishly didnt really prepare myself for fasting, i kept thinking "ramadan will be next week" and then it suddenly appeared.

The thought of revising without snacks and water worrys me:frown: oh why did i take a break this weekend.

Gonna have to do as much as i can in the mornings
Have 3 exams left :/

Scroll to see replies

it's not that deep, you're a big man
I also have 3 exams left

yh that wasn't wise but I'll be fine.

I'm used to forgetting to eat during school anyway so it's no biggie for me since we don't have study leave the remainder of my revision will happen in skewl.

er what exams specifically do u have left?

N my revision plan is: Revise all day at school, come home = double nap time between prayers until sunset, revise mughreb til suhoor - sleep.
Still going to stick to how much I'd do if I'm not fasting.

I'm sure you'll cope better then you think you will. :h:
I don't understand why people moan about this. It's your choice to fast, nobody is making you. If you truly believed that fasting was a cornerstone of your faith then you would do it willingly and not complain about any effects it might cause.
Chin up guys, people have been through worse stuff and still manage to do their best in life, just remember the reason for why you're fasting, you got through Ramadan last year when it was a similar period of time, what makes you think you can't do it this time. At least you now needn't worry about eating so often so you now have more free time to revise.
Original post by getfunky!
Chin up guys, people have been through worse stuff and still manage to do their best in life, just remember the reason for why you're fasting, you got through Ramadan last year when it was a similar period of time, what makes you think you can't do it this time. At least you now needn't worry about eating so often so you now have more free time to revise.

what reason?
you'll get used to it
3 exams left? I have 19! lol it'll be fine inshAllah, always remember Allah doesn't give people more than they can bear :smile:
Original post by sleepysnooze
what reason?

Um, maybe the 'reasons' it gives us an insight into how the 'actual' poor feel on a daily basis. By not eating for hours, it creates antipathy and affection for the people of this world who actually live in this dire state on a daily basis rather than a one-off 30-day string.

Thereby then, it makes us more charitable. Makes us more grateful for everything we have.

Environmentally, as food is usually bought in advance in a bulk manner, it reduces the carbon footprint, as it's likely we ain't going to the supermarkets as frequently as before...oh and it's not a choice really; but more of a mandatory requirement of our religion, and an act that completes 1/5 of the Pillars of Islam...

Need I say more?

...I think I took your post literally! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Genialtropism
Um, maybe the 'reasons' it gives us an insight into how the 'actual' poor feel on a daily basis. By not eating for hours, it creates antipathy and affection for the people of this world who actually live in this dire state on a daily basis rather than a one-off 30-day string.

instead of fasting, why not just help the poor then? :| why not just have a commandment saying "help the poor"?

Thereby then, it makes us more charitable. Makes us more grateful for everything we have.

not really - is there really any proof of this? and if you want to be charitable, why do you need to pointlessly starve yourself instead of simply being moral? are you that weak-willed?

Environmentally, as food is usually bought in advance in a bulk manner, it reduces the carbon footprint, as it's likely we ain't going to the supermarkets as frequently as before...oh and it's not a choice really; but more of a mandatory requirement of our religion, and an act that completes 1/5 of the Pillars of Islam...

yeahhhhh suure, I'm sure this is exactly what prophet moe' had in mind. exaaactly.
really, this is sounding really ad hoc.

I say more?

yes, a lot more
Original post by sleepysnooze
instead of fasting, why not just help the poor then? :| why not just have a commandment saying "help the poor"?

not really - is there really any proof of this? and if you want to be charitable, why do you need to pointlessly starve yourself instead of simply being moral? are you that weak-willed?

yeahhhhh suure, I'm sure this is exactly what prophet moe' had in mind. exaaactly.
really, this is sounding really ad hoc.

yes, a lot more

Well, I'd rather sleep...
Well, I'd rather sleep...

One last point actually; giving to the poor and actually experiencing the pangs of hunger for yourself, there's a difference in that. The difference being that you're indirectly putting yourself in their shoes by fasting, and so by doing this act, not only are you 'feeling' their hunger, you are creating a wider space in your heart to help them that bit more. Something that you won't understand until you fast for yourself and feel that glorious sensation of humility.

Good night.
Reply 13

Need I say more?

...I think I took your post literally! :smile:

It could give insight into the lives of the poor but that's not precisely why we fast.

“O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”[al-Baqarah 2:183]

Fasting is a means of attaining taqwa (piety, being conscious of Allaah), and taqwa means doing that which Allaah has enjoined and avoiding that which He has forbidden.
One last point actually; giving to the poor and actually experiencing the pangs of hunger for yourself, there's a difference in that. The difference being that you're indirectly putting yourself in their shoes by fasting, and so by doing this act, not only are you 'feeling' their hunger, you are creating a wider space in your heart to help them that bit more. Something that you won't understand until you fast for yourself and feel that glorious sensation of humility.

Good night.

Of course someone has to turn this thread into a debate.

1. Not the case at all, "feeling their hunger". By what, fasting in the day and stuffing yourself in the night? What about when the days are short and the fast lasts for a couple of hours tops? Are you really feeling their hunger then.
2. I'm not sure how feeling this "glorious sensation" is productive. Helping people in the third world is, not by "feeling their pain". Surely actively going out of your way to help would provide a more "glorious sensation" rather than sympathising with them. Yes there is a difference between feeling hungry and giving to the poor but only one is actually useful, i'll let you be the judge on each one.
3. There is no evidence for people giving more on the basis because they have fasted and are "put in their shoes". Non muslims and Muslims a like both give to charity.

Heres the problem, people are more inclined to fast to feel this holy "glorious" sensation rather than giving what is needed to the third world. Selfish if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm not going to fuel this debate anymore. If you have any advice to give to the OP go ahead, if not theres no need to try spread the "perks" of fasting on this thread.
Reply 15
Guys ccchhiilll it's not that hard :smile:
I've got 11 exams left 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
Reply 17
Original post by Cobalt_

3. There is no evidence for people giving more on the basis because they have fasted and are "put in their shoes". Non muslims and Muslims a like both give to charity.

Heres the problem, people are more inclined to fast to feel this holy "glorious" sensation rather than giving what is needed to the third world. Selfish if you ask me.

Screenshot_20160606-080325.jpg

:innocent: well I mean ... I'm not saying Ramadan and fasting is the reason but I'm just saying Muslims actually help the third world more than any other religious/ non religious group so why can't we fast in addition to that? :biggrin:
You'll be fine. Just try not to think about food most of the time, or it will make you more hungry and more worried about finishing revision without snacks/water. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by SuperHuman98
Revision plan whilst fasting?

I foolishly didnt really prepare myself for fasting, i kept thinking "ramadan will be next week" and then it suddenly appeared.

The thought of revising without snacks and water worrys me:frown: oh why did i take a break this weekend.

Gonna have to do as much as i can in the mornings
Have 3 exams left :/

Make sure you eat suhoor and try to revise content as much as possible during your 'eating hours' and do past papers during the day? Thats my plan...

How spread out are your exams? Take advantage of the time between them.

I have 7 pray4mahsoul :lol:

Inshallah it will all be fine man dw, if you feel you really can't cope you can break your fast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending