The Student Room Group

Anybody done a University of Oxford online course?

Has anyone done an online (non degree) course with the University of Oxford Department for Continuing Education? What was your experience? How did it work?
I did a Creative Writing course. it was pretty good. the instructor was really good and helpful. but with so many free online courses out there, not sure if it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by reyjusuf
I did a Creative Writing course. it was pretty good. the instructor was really good and helpful. but with so many free online courses out there, not sure if it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing one and it's the association of doing something with that university that is a draw. Did you get CATS points at the end? Has the course been of value to you in terms of further education? Did you apply to university and cite this course in the application process? Did the certificate at the end actually have your name on it?
I did an online undergraduate course on Philosophy through Oxford and it was really insightful - I definitely recommend doing it. You don't get a certificate at the end (well I didn't) but only a feedback form.

The feedback form stated whether you passed or failed, the professor's comments on your assignment and how your attitude to learning throughout the course length.

Yep you get CATS point at the end. For me, it was 10 points for the course and 10 points if I successfully completed by assignments to at least satisfactory.

I've been told that it is very useful to state that we did the course when applying to university since it shows that we love to learn - that we have broad interests that could be outside of what we want to do in university.

I'm applying for uni this year.
Reply 4
Original post by Namita Gurung
I did an online undergraduate course on Philosophy through Oxford and it was really insightful - I definitely recommend doing it. You don't get a certificate at the end (well I didn't) but only a feedback form.

The feedback form stated whether you passed or failed, the professor's comments on your assignment and how your attitude to learning throughout the course length.

Yep you get CATS point at the end. For me, it was 10 points for the course and 10 points if I successfully completed by assignments to at least satisfactory.

I've been told that it is very useful to state that we did the course when applying to university since it shows that we love to learn - that we have broad interests that could be outside of what we want to do in university.

I'm applying for uni this year.

Thanks for providing your insight. I'm not sure the type of course you did is of the online course of the type I'm looking at, because the courses I'm looking at are not undergraduate level and you can get a certificate with the courses I'm looking at

"All students who successfully complete this course, whether registered for credit or not, are eligible for a Certificate of Completion. Completion consists of submitting both course assignments and actively participating in the course forums. Certificates will be available, online, for those who qualify after the course finishes."

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/learning-to-look-at-the-visual-arts-online?code=O16P319ARV#programme_details

Did you do one of these type of courses?
Original post by moon4
Thanks for providing your insight. I'm not sure the type of course you did is of the online course of the type I'm looking at, because the courses I'm looking at are not undergraduate level and you can get a certificate with the courses I'm looking at

"All students who successfully complete this course, whether registered for credit or not, are eligible for a Certificate of Completion. Completion consists of submitting both course assignments and actively participating in the course forums. Certificates will be available, online, for those who qualify after the course finishes."

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/learning-to-look-at-the-visual-arts-online?code=O16P319ARV#programme_details

Did you do one of these type of courses?

Nope I didn't. The application was through my school since they funded me.
Looks like a good course though.
Sorry I can't help you further.
Reply 6
Original post by Namita Gurung
Nope I didn't. The application was through my school since they funded me.
Looks like a good course though.
Sorry I can't help you further.

Ok, thanks anyway.
Original post by moon4
I'm thinking of doing one and it's the association of doing something with that university that is a draw. Did you get CATS points at the end? Has the course been of value to you in terms of further education? Did you apply to university and cite this course in the application process? Did the certificate at the end actually have your name on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did it for the association too and as a hobby. didnt expect it to further my higher education.
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

i did it for the association too and as a hobby. didnt expect it to further my higher education.

Was the course of value to you?
the course was valuable and if they were cheaper i would take others like shakespeare and the brontes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
the course was valuable and if they were cheaper i would take others like shakespeare and the brontes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you do the course before applying to university?
no. im 30 years old and work full time. i only took them as a hobby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can take courses from Harvard and MIT (among others) at edx.org and they're free. I think you need to pay for a certificate (which I believe is an ID verified certificate with your name on), but I don't think that's really important when you're applying for uni. I included that I'd taken a course on my personal statement and nobody ever asked for proof. At most I think they might ask about it in an interview, but as long as you've actually done the course that won't be a problem.

Having it on my personal statement must have really helped, because I got some decent offers despite having **** grades :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by JordanL_
You can take courses from Harvard and MIT (among others) at edx.org and they're free. I think you need to pay for a certificate (which I believe is an ID verified certificate with your name on), but I don't think that's really important when you're applying for uni. I included that I'd taken a course on my personal statement and nobody ever asked for proof. At most I think they might ask about it in an interview, but as long as you've actually done the course that won't be a problem.

Having it on my personal statement must have really helped, because I got some decent offers despite having **** grades :colondollar:

What course did you do? And what did you do or are doing as a subject at university?
I haven't but I wouldn't mind doing one of their geology short courses or biology short courses
Original post by moon4
What course did you do? And what did you do or are doing as a subject at university?

I did Introduction to Computer Science from Harvard, and I'm doing computer science.
Hi All I am late to this thread - apologies.

I have done two courses with the OUDCE and found them excellent, I got CATS for both courses. The mixture of students that you get on the course is always very interesting, and from all over the world. The tutors on my courses were very good and the modules were interesting. I did Ancient Egypt and Introduction to Archaeology. I'm starting a BA in Classical Archaeology and Ancient History via distance learning at the Uni of Leicester in October because the OUCDE courses gave me the confidence to carry on with my studies. I would have carried on my studies with OUDCE if they had had a Classics degree that could be done part time - their Archaeology part time degrees look very very interesting and as I am relatively local they would have been fine for me.

My offer from UoL for my degree was unconditional and I certainly think that including my course records from the OUCDE courses helped in that respect.

I would definitely do more courses with them - I am secretly hoping that by the time I have completed this BA they will have a good CLassics MA of some kind!

Hope this helps anyone looking for info. Happy to give more info if anyone needs it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending