The Student Room Group

Can I start a job after several weeks gap?

Hi all. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Basically, I have a job interview in a couple of days for a job I really want after graduation. My issues, however, are:

1. I am away on holiday for 10 days from the day after the interview so cannot be contacted regarding my application status.

2. I have a 6-week long placement that I have already planned to do (and arranged) until the end of July, and therefore am unable to start working until August.

I am very worried they might reject me because I cannot start till August which is over 1 month away!

If I specify I can start in August would that work at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi all. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Basically, I have a job interview in a couple of days for a job I really want after graduation. My issues, however, are:

1. I am away on holiday for 10 days from the day after the interview so cannot be contacted regarding my application status.

2. I have a 6-week long placement that I have already planned to do (and arranged) until the end of July, and therefore am unable to start working until August.

I am very worried they might reject me because I cannot start till August which is over 1 month away!

If I specify I can start in August would that work at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just tell them your situation... if they interview you and think you are good they will wait (unless the job is a seasonal role...).

And re (1) can't you get emails or texts on holiday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Just tell them your situation... if they interview you and think you are good they will wait (unless the job is a seasonal role...).

Posted from TSR Mobile

The job is a 12-month contract but the start date is not specified. I think I have to tell them. I am just worried that they may look down on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I don't think I will have internet access as I am going to Iceland for holiday. I may get it in service stops or something but we are going for the first time so don't know how it will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
And I don't think I will have internet access as I am going to Iceland for holiday. I may get it in service stops or something but we are going for the first time so don't know how it will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EU roaming charges apply in Iceland so it's now not expensive and you will almost certainly have WiFi in your hotel.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls

But anyway don't stress about it. Just tell them. It'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tesco are doing a deal this summer where you can use your UK credit/minutes etc in the EU. May be worth getting a PAYG sim for that purpose?

Also, with regards to not being able to start until August - if you already had a job, you'd have to give notice which would be at least a month, and there's likely to be a gap between interview and being told you had the job, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're the right candidate for the job it won't be a problem.
Original post by jneill
EU roaming charges apply in Iceland so it's now not expensive and you will almost certainly have WiFi in your hotel.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls

But anyway don't stress about it. Just tell them. It'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice, I shall look into that. And we will be traveling in a caravan rather than staying in hotels but hopefully there will be access to wifi somewhere along the way. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
Tesco are doing a deal this summer where you can use your UK credit/minutes etc in the EU. May be worth getting a PAYG sim for that purpose?

Also, with regards to not being able to start until August - if you already had a job, you'd have to give notice which would be at least a month, and there's likely to be a gap between interview and being told you had the job, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're the right candidate for the job it won't be a problem.

Thanks. I will look into the call deals. And yes, I see what you mean. I really want the job so hopefully they'll see that and allow me to start later :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending