The Student Room Group

aqa english language

how do you answer questions 5 and 6?
Original post by ellatolfrey
how do you answer questions 5 and 6?

For both questions remember to match form!! So if it's a letter, put your address and their address (just make it up) and sign it off 'Yours sincerely' (if you know their name) or 'Yours faithfully' (if you don't know their name). If it's an article or a blog, give it a title (and directly address your audience if its a blog).

For Question 5, the skill is to write effectively, explaining and describing. You're marked on language (vocabulary, techniques etc.), paragraphs and structure, and sentences and spelling.

We've been taught to use A FOREST (alliteration, fact, opinion, rhetorical question, emotive language, statistics, triplets (rule of three)) so make sure to get all those things in there. Also make sure to use a variety of punctuation (write them all down at the top of the page and tick them off as you go along).

Make sure you have a clear structure - use 'Firstly' and 'Finally' or something similar.

For Question 6, you have to persuade and argue. Try to do one paragraph using ethos (why you have authority on the subject/how you know about it), one using pathos (appeal to the emotions of the reader/why does it matter) and one using logos (what are the facts). You should try to include the counter argument but also remember to squash it down and show how your ideas are better. Also use A FOREST and varied punctuation for this question.

I hope this helped! I find questions 5 and 6 more fun than the others but really hard :/
Reply 2
Original post by examtime123
For both questions remember to match form!! So if it's a letter, put your address and their address (just make it up) and sign it off 'Yours sincerely' (if you know their name) or 'Yours faithfully' (if you don't know their name). If it's an article or a blog, give it a title (and directly address your audience if its a blog).

For Question 5, the skill is to write effectively, explaining and describing. You're marked on language (vocabulary, techniques etc.), paragraphs and structure, and sentences and spelling.

We've been taught to use A FOREST (alliteration, fact, opinion, rhetorical question, emotive language, statistics, triplets (rule of three)) so make sure to get all those things in there. Also make sure to use a variety of punctuation (write them all down at the top of the page and tick them off as you go along).

Make sure you have a clear structure - use 'Firstly' and 'Finally' or something similar.

For Question 6, you have to persuade and argue. Try to do one paragraph using ethos (why you have authority on the subject/how you know about it), one using pathos (appeal to the emotions of the reader/why does it matter) and one using logos (what are the facts). You should try to include the counter argument but also remember to squash it down and show how your ideas are better. Also use A FOREST and varied punctuation for this question.

I hope this helped! I find questions 5 and 6 more fun than the others but really hard :/

thanks!! how would you structure an answer to question 4??
Original post by ellatolfrey
thanks!! how would you structure an answer to question 4??

Question 4 is my worst question but I'll tell you the structure we've been given to use :smile: It's pretty much just like the poetry comparison in the literature exam!

~

Both texts use [adjective (e.g. descriptive, emotive)] language to show.... Source 3 does this by ... [quote and analyse language here, commenting on the effect on the reader].
Similarly, Source 1/2 ... [quote and analyse language here, commenting on the effect on the reader].
Both texts use [adjective] language... [discuss whether one is more effective than the other]. (Mention how the language in source 1/2 is more factual and less descriptive than Source 3).

Try to do this twice but it doesn't really matter if you don't have enough time for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending