The Student Room Group

Martin Lewis's opinion of Brexit

Scroll to see replies

the trouble is only about 0.003% of the people who are voting have the necessary level of economic literacy to make the correct call....
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
the trouble is only about 0.003% of the people who are voting have the necessary level of economic literacy to make the correct call....

And that includes some economists.

Ruth Lea, I'm looking at you.
Reply 3
What a stupid sign.
i came across this intelligent website just now:

http://openeurope.org.uk
Reply 5
Original post by inhuman
What a stupid sign.

Why?
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
i came across this intelligent website just now:

http://openeurope.org.uk

Yes, but I'm not sure using the German (and Belgian...) flag colours is a helpful choice for their poll tracker...

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 09.41.27.jpg
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Why?

First of all why should you leave even if you think things are already quite bad?

And second, how can you reduce the situation to this one point?

Thirdly, this is simply emotional pulling. Not to mention those that actually do think things are so terrible under the EU, probably Brexiters anyway.
Original post by inhuman
First of all why should you leave even if you think things are already quite bad?

Thirdly, this is simply emotional pulling. Not to mention those that actually do think things are so terrible under the EU, probably Brexiters anyway.

he prefaces the diagram with "looking only from an economic view,"
Reply 9
Original post by inhuman

Because you think leaving will improve things eventually (which it might, but might not... his point is that voting Leave is still a risky choice).

Almost like the referendum reduces it to a Remain/Leave binary choice. Yes I can see that's a problem...

Emotion is good. His point is there are few facts anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Because you think leaving will improve things eventually (which it might, but might not... his point is that voting Leave is still a risky choice).

Almost like the referendum reduces it to a Remain/Leave binary choice. Yes I can see that's a problem...

Emotion is good. His point is there are few facts anyway.

You need to assume that leaving will improve the economic situation eventually, and that would not eventually happen if staying...

Indeed.

No, it's not, it makes people stupid. Also, no, there many facts, it's just that there are also so many false ones being said and context left out of others.
Reply 11
Original post by StrangeBanana
he prefaces the diagram with "looking only from an economic view,"

Well not in OP, and even then it is silly to try and look at every point individually.
Reply 12
Original post by inhuman
No, it's not, it makes people stupid. Also, no, there many facts, it's just that there are also so many false ones being said and context left out of others.

If everyone is apathetic (an emotion) they won't vote. Oh hold on, that means we Remain. Which would be good :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
If everyone is apathetic (an emotion) they won't vote. Oh hold on, that means we Remain. Which would be good :smile:

My point is "oh my god they are stealing our jobs" kind of emotion.

These ones are what sway people.
17 days to go
Original post by inhuman
Well not in OP, and even then it is silly to try and look at every point individually.

Why is it silly? Surely that's the only honest way to make a decision?

What do you even mean by "every point individually"? It's just one sign, addressing (imo) the most important part of the debate - the economy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Why is it silly? Surely that's the only honest way to make a decision?

What do you even mean by "every point individually"? It's just one sign, addressing (imo) the most important part of the debate - the economy.

Because that assumes every issue is independent.
Original post by inhuman
Because that assumes every issue is independent.

Huh? You can look at each point individually while acknowledging the connections between them.
Reply 18
Huh? You can look at each point individually while acknowledging the connections between them.

Where in either of those statements in the sign in the OP do you see any acknowledgement of other issues?
Original post by inhuman
Where in either of those statements in the sign in the OP do you see any acknowledgement of other issues?

Lol I've already made it clear to you that the sign is a summary of the economic side of the debate.

Ultimately mate this is a silly argument, and you know it. You can't expect every single statement to address all the issues. Any statement that tried to would just be vague and meaningless - and almost certainly playing to emotion, something you claim to abhor.

Quick Reply

Latest