The Student Room Group

What college should I apply to?

Hi,
I am keen to study medicine at oxford. I want to apply to an old college, ideally one with good rowing facilities/ results. So far Magdalen and Oriel have caught my eye. Which others should I look in to, especially in regards to medicine and rowing?
Original post by Ayman19
Hi,
I am keen to study medicine at oxford. I want to apply to an old college, ideally one with good rowing facilities/ results. So far Magdalen and Oriel have caught my eye. Which others should I look in to, especially in regards to medicine and rowing?

Are you a top-level rower? Basically every college's 1st 8 will be training 7-9x per week, if that's you concern.

You can afford to be more exclusive with your criteria. Size, location, whether it offers clinical medicine, etc.
Reply 2
Yes, top-level.
Ideally I want somewhere which offers clinical medicine, not too bothered about size as long as it has a good community and I can get to know other 1st years (ideally in a range of subjects) and in terms of location somewhere pretty central I would think
Original post by Ayman19
Hi,

Maybe a grammar? They have excellent results, and facilities. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Maybe a grammar? They have excellent results, and facilities. :smile:

What? I mean an oxford college like oriel college or magdalen, something within Oxford University, not a local one for someone with 3 Cs XD
Reply 5
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
They want 8 or more A* - B, and they are not local. Universities want people who with high abilities and a grammar sixth form or college shows these attributes.

Read my original question, what you are talking about has nothing to do with what I mean. I have no idea what you are getting at.
EDIT: I have 13 A*s already
Original post by Ayman19
Yes, top-level.
Ideally I want somewhere which offers clinical medicine, not too bothered about size as long as it has a good community and I can get to know other 1st years (ideally in a range of subjects) and in terms of location somewhere pretty central I would think

Ok. So did you look those criteria up? What did you find?

For rowing, looking at the summer 8s results might be a reasonable first step, as perhaps is the colleges the Blues went to?
Original post by Ayman19
Hi,

It's Oxford- all of the colleges have "good" results. If you're keen to get involved in rowing, it would probably be best to choose a college close to the river, such as Magdalen. However, don't worry too much about college choice- you may end up at a different college no matter where you apply and, in any case, Oxford is a small city and rowing facilities are fairly accessible.
Original post by OreganoLightbulb
It's Oxford- all of the colleges have "good" results. If you're keen to get involved in rowing, it would probably be best to choose a college close to the river, such as Magdalen. However, don't worry too much about college choice- you may end up at a different college no matter where you apply and, in any case, Oxford is a small city and rowing facilities are fairly accessible.

If he's in an even vaguely good crew he won't be rowing on the Isis much.
Reply 9
Original post by nexttime
If he's in an even vaguely good crew he won't be rowing on the Isis much.

What do u mean by this?
Original post by Ayman19
What do u mean by this?

Good crews train away from the carnage that is the Isis. Usually Radley or Godstow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending