The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

I'm a chooser. I choose what I believe, when I want to for whatever reason I want to.

What are your opinions on people who do in fact believe in god. And I am certainly not talking about people who are nutcases, I refer to those who believe that science and religion are inherently compatible
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
See a psychiatrist if you're seeing things and hearing voices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a couple of things. As you are being so blunt, let me inform you that your comparison of anything supernatural is not a mental illness. Mental illness is not something to make fun of.

There are two verses in the bible which explain why people of faith in Jesus should not be surprised at reactions like yours

....this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘- In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on My servants, both men and women, I will pour out of My Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.… Acts 2 v 17

and

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”…2 Peter 3 v 3
Reply 163
Original post by Racoon
Just a couple of things. As you are being so blunt, let me inform you that your comparison of anything supernatural is not a mental illness. Mental illness is not something to make fun of.

There are two verses in the bible which explain why people of faith in Jesus should not be surprised at reactions like yours

....this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘- In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on My servants, both men and women, I will pour out of My Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.… Acts 2 v 17

and

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”…2 Peter 3 v 3

So we are near the endtimes? And you think I'm evil? Nice to know.
Original post by RobML
So we are near the endtimes? And you think I'm evil? Nice to know.

I'm not saying you are anything. I'm merely pointing out that it isn't a shock to see scoffers.

There are also many people, and of course I'm not saying you are one, who refuse to acknowledge god because they are following their own evil desires. Look at the world around you, I'm sure you can recognise that.

If, if everyone trusted God and lived by his rules, to care for others over and above their own needs, what kind of world would we be living in?
Reply 165
Original post by Racoon
I'm not saying you are anything. I'm merely pointing out that it isn't a shock to see scoffers.

There are also many people, and of course I'm not saying you are one, who refuse to acknowledge god because they are following their own evil desires. Look at the world around you, I'm sure you can recognise that.

If, if everyone trusted God and lived by his rules, to care for others over and above their own needs, what kind of world would we be living in?

The issue is people have varying ideas about "God's rules", and many of those rules don't have people's wellbeing at heart. Then again, belief in God isn't even necessary to care for others over and above your own needs.
Original post by RobML
The issue is people have varying ideas about "God's rules", and many of those rules don't have people's wellbeing at heart. Then again, belief in God isn't even necessary to care for others over and above your own needs.

I totally agree with you people do, just as those without a belief in God have their own rules too.

Being religious doesn't mean people do everything right, in fact being religious goes against God's ideas for us. God doesn't want us bound by a rule book, all I am saying is that unless a person displays God's love in their lives and to others they aren't following the God I know.

Quick Reply

Latest