The Student Room Group

AQA AS GOVP1 Question Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by govtandpolitics
Good luck :biggrin: im expecting a C/D xD think i need to believe in my self slightly more

you do need to believe bro! tbf if you aim for a c its only really a couple more marks for the b then another couple for the A thats how i am going about it
good luck everyone!
Are pressure groups good for democrcy?

Reasons for and against please!!!!
Original post by BirdIsWord
Two factors
-Rise of pressure groups and social movements
-Both parties moving towards the centre

What don't you understand about the 25 marker?? It's really straightforward imo

Image has always been important, especially with intro of televised debates which has increased the need for more presidential candidates.
1983 Michael foot appeared scruffy etc compared to the sharply dressed thatcher. Hence lost election.
2010, Cleggmania.. 21% said the debates would change how they voted(Ipsos Mori) However Cleggmania failed to translate to seats for LDs

Blair was presidential, well dressed, good communicator and had a beautiful family
Ed Milliband attacked by the right media on stuff like the bacon sandwich thing, portraying him as not presidential enough. Similar thing for Gordon Brown
Contrast him to Cameron who's always appeared sharp

So leader image definitely important.

Policies is important too,
1983 labour manifesto described at the 'longest suicide in history'- BAD
Blair and New Labour dropping clause 4 from manifesto moved labour to centre
Cameron has been praised for changing his stance on social environmental policies, to reverse the image of the Conservatives being the 'nasty party' eg Gay Marriage.

For performance there are two good quotes for this
"Its the economy, stupid"
"Opponents dont win elections, Governments lose them'

E.g ERM Crisis(1993?) contributed to the conservatives losing in 1997
Labour government blamed for recession due to excess expenditure, debt too big.
Cameron viewed as more competent with the economy, always talked of his 'long term economic plan'.

PARTISAN DE-ALIGNMENT HAS MADE THESE RECENCY FACTORS MORE IMPORTANT

Then you go on to evaluate the long term factors, the Sociological voting model.
Class voting still prevalent despite class dealignment
e.g 2015, 45% AB voted Cons, 41% DE/50% of social renters voted labour
Regions where Unions are prevalent still dominated by Labour
minorities have always tended to vote labour as theyve been more sympathetic to issues such as immigration and race relations where Conservatives have been hostile.
(1997, 86% black and 70% asians votes Labour)
However iraq war resulted in defects of the muslim vote to LDs and other parties,
This shows recency factors are becoming more and more important.

As a conclusion i like to say that while long term factors are becoming less important and short term more important, Long term still more important.
Image more important due to TV debates but still just as important as performance.

Phew that took a while.
This was off the top of my head but i should have covered everything

The Black Wednesday of 1992 was crucial to the conservative defeat, and can probably be applied to most economic questions
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
The Black Wednesday of 1992 was crucial to the conservative defeat, and can probably be applied to most economic questions

"E.g ERM Crisis(1993?) contributed to the conservatives losing in 1997"

:smile: But yea i got the date wrong.
Reply 125
It's at the point where I'll be over the moon with a B, I'm just hoping I can get to the magical 51/80 on both papers, not looking likely though :s-smilie:
Original post by Jack_Joff
It's at the point where I'll be over the moon with a B, I'm just hoping I can get to the magical 51/80 on both papers, not looking likely though :s-smilie:

you can do it brah
How would you guys conclude an essay about what determined voting behaviour in the 2015 GE?
Original post by Jack_Joff

What grade is 51/80?
Original post by BirdIsWord
How would you guys conclude an essay about what determined voting behaviour in the 2015 GE?

You would say that many factors determined voting behaviour such as party leader, issue voting, etc and then you would sum it up by saying however such a thing is the most significant factor in determining voting behaviour in the 2015 election...
You would say that many factors determined voting behaviour such as party leader, issue voting, etc and then you would sum it up by saying however such a thing is the most significant factor in determining voting behaviour in the 2015 election...

Hmm ok. I was about to go to bed because i thought this was an afternoon exam LOL, good thing i double checked
Good luck everyone!
Well that was bad.... I did participation and forgot the other forms of participation other than voting lmao help
What even are the other forms?? I put petitions...PETITIONS...and debates.... I also put party membership and interest group involvement ???
I literally missed out a 10 mark question did not have enough time
Original post by olmyster911
Well that was bad.... I did participation and forgot the other forms of participation other than voting lmao help

The one about how voting at elections apparently is only for measuring political participation?
Original post by Sademajek
I literally missed out a 10 mark question did not have enough time

Really? :/ completely missed it out?
Uhh, I think the questions were nice and I loved the political parties questions but only managed to answer the intro of the final 25 marker as I ran out of time :frown: :frown: :frown:

Does anybody know what the max amount of marks you can get for an intro.

The question was about how members of the Conservative Party and the Labour Party have little or no say in the process of organisation or policies of the parties. My points were there is binding powers of a 2/3 vote at the Labour Conference which allows people to vote on policy, how this doesn't occur in the Conservative Party as MPs are voted to use their judgment and the Conference is advisory debate. I also wrote about who the Conservative Prime Minister has the power to write the manifesto entirely himself and how local Conservative groups have fought to keep the power to elect their candidates so there is some power in the organisation.

Although there is not ACTUAL THOROUGH analysis here, I felt that I kind of explained it a little bit in the intro itself.
How'd you guys find it and what topics did you do? I did voting behaviour + pressure groups.
The voting behaviour questions were kind of annoying.. But overall it was okay
The one about how voting at elections apparently is only for measuring political participation?

Yeah it said it was the only way to measure political participation so obviously it wanted you to refute that and give other ways of measuring?

Quick Reply

Latest