The Student Room Group

What was your jump from a levels to uni like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
You can't see the human mind with your own eyes, that makes it hard to understand. Social sciences are difficult in that there is no specific answer. The exam will literally ask a question in one sentence and you have to answer in about 6 pages. It's not easy at all, especially with so little information.

You can see the brain though, can't you? It is not that difficult. I did an essay subject for an AS and physics for AS and the essay based subject was easier by miles to get better grades in, without revising I got a B and it was OCR exam board too. I'm sorry but there is no competition. If you still don't believe me borrow Atkins Physical Chemistry ninth edition off someone and have a look inside. Then come back and tell me social science is hard :toofunny:
Original post by B_9710
On a scale of 1 to 10, how high would you rate your work ethic?
(No I'm not initiating a game of 20 questions :biggrin:)

At A-levels, around a 9. (Which is meant to be very high, because it was :tongue:) I finished all of the questions in each textbook for Maths/Further maths in the space of a year :tongue: bar C1, C2 and S1 which I did in Year 12.

At uni.. maybe a 3 at best. I gave up attempting the weekly homework sheets pretty quickly (whereas in first year, I'd attempt them all, hand them in etc. Group coursework came around and I knew it was coming but didn't do enough preparation beforehand :s-smilie: and only some parts are interesting to study.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
lost interest in your course?

Indeed. Well, mostly, anyway. There were one or two units that I genuinely enjoyed this year, and after a placement year I'm looking at doing some education modules as well as stuff to do with Econometrics and some of the more interesting parts of Maths, so I'm still interested enough. :redface:

Original post by ccharlie97
I'm at Uni of Bath studying maths, and I really didn't find it THAT big of a jump - it's definitely do-able!

I'm guessing you're a first year? How did you find exams? :tongue:
It was okay. I'd read a fair amount of analysis, number theory, linear algebra, abstract algebra, set theory, mechanics etc. already so the content wasn't a big leap.

STEP helped bridge the gap in terms of exam difficulty.

Original post by Quantex
I found the jump from 1st to 2nd year university to be a greater challenge. 1st year you can do well by largely regurgitating lecture material. Throw in predominantly multiple choice exams, and it's no more challenging than further education.

From 2nd year onwards, there is an emphasis on additional reading and much more independent study.

15% of one of my 13 first year modules was a set of four multiple choice exams. The rest was proper exams and assignments.
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
If uni exams were step quality, most people would fail because the content is so much harder and then you achieve that sort of mastery would be :eek:

Depending on the specific course, people had to do well in STEP or equivalent to get a place though. The students are selected to be good at STEP. If you can do well in STEP and know everything for a uni module, you're most of the way to doing well in the exam.
Original post by SeanFM
I'm guessing you're a first year? How did you find exams? :tongue:

Yeah I am - but not any more! lol they were good thanks! You at Bath too, doing maths I take it?
Yeah I am - but not any more! lol they were good thanks! You at Bath too, doing maths I take it?

Oh yes.. force of habit :s-smilie: I still call myself a second year :tongue:.

Exams weren't so great :tongue: I don't suppose Analysis 2B is optional for you, or is that for next year's first years?

What've you picked for next year? :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Oh yes.. force of habit :s-smilie: I still call myself a second year :tongue:.

Exams weren't so great :tongue: I don't suppose Analysis 2B is optional for you, or is that for next year's first years?

What've you picked for next year? :tongue:

Haha! It's gone so quick! No more using freshers as an excuse lol

It is for some courses, but not MMath! I'm doing all the compulsory stuff (PDEs, numerical analysis, order and control and the stuff like that) from BSc mathematics and also probability I choose!

We were the first year to have new analysis and methods course content, so it is us! Lol

We'll soon find out! Would you say 2nd year is a lot harder than 1st?
Original post by SeanFM
At A-levels, around a 9. (Which is meant to be very high, because it was :tongue:) I finished all of the questions in each textbook for Maths/Further maths in the space of a year :tongue: bar C1, C2 and S1 which I did in Year 12.

At uni.. maybe a 3 at best. I gave up attempting the weekly homework sheets pretty quickly (whereas in first year, I'd attempt them all, hand them in etc. Group coursework came around and I knew it was coming but didn't do enough preparation beforehand :s-smilie: and only some parts are interesting to study.

Ahh, well I hope you do well in your studies. Good luck mate.
Which uni is it you're studying at?
Original post by B_9710
Ahh, well I hope you do well in your studies. Good luck mate.
Which uni is it you're studying at?

Cheers. I'm studying MathSci at Bath :redface: how about you?
Haha! It's gone so quick! No more using freshers as an excuse lol

It is for some courses, but not MMath! I'm doing all the compulsory stuff (PDEs, numerical analysis, order and control and the stuff like that) from BSc mathematics and also probability I choose!

We were the first year to have new analysis and methods course content, so it is us! Lol

We'll soon find out! Would you say 2nd year is a lot harder than 1st?

Oh yeah, it's crazy how time flies at uni. It feels like a few weeks ago that I was moving into Eastwood :moon:

:sad: so I guess that started this year, bugger. It would've been compulsory on the MMath this year, not that I'm doing it :tongue: there aren't enough options that interest me to do MMath so I'm doing BSc MathSci with placement :tongue:

Oh yes :s-smilie: they removed the in class test for methods and added some icky vector stuff or something :tongue:

I did Algebra 2A, Analysis 2A/2B, Probability 2A/2B, Statistics 2A/2B and Intro to Accounting and Corporate finance for managers.

The two finance ones were alright, better than studying maths, not overly interesting, good for getting your grades up :tongue:

Stats 2A is definitely the easiest second year module going, it's just like 1B but looks more like A-level stuff (S3-S4, to be precise). 2B is a bit icky and the group coursework was a pain but it's not bad, and leads on to some interesting choices in the third year.

Probability 2A wasn't the most riveting stuff. It wasn't particularly difficult either, but not easy - if you don't put in any work for it, you will most likely fail :tongue:

Probability 2B was better than 2A, interesting, intuitive, the maths itself was not difficult, but you had to know what everything met and be on top of it all.

Algebra 2A was just... :erm: everyone I know just found it so difficult/confusing at the start. By the end of it though (and after the exam) it doesn't seem as bad as the lecture notes/lecturer makes it out to be (a bit like Algebra 1A!) - you just have to know your definitions, memorise (or better, understand the proofs) and not leave work till the last minute and you should be fine :tongue:

Analysis 2A and 2B are just messy :hide: 2B is a bit better than 2A because you'll see more application things like line integrals, arc length etc but they're both.. quite difficult :tongue: Analysis 2A featurest tests you a fair bit (maybe 10 out of 60 marks) on definitions, whereas 2B, in my exam a 6 mark proof from lecture notes came up and then maybe a few more definitions, who knows, it may have amounted to 10 marks too :tongue:

So that's an overview of the units :tongue: though it looks like you won't be studying them all.

As for second year and whether it's more difficult than first year... yes and no. Difficulty wise, yes, you'll notice that it's gotten more difficult but not by a huge amount - you just have to hit the ground running, do all the problem sheets, hand them in etc and don't leave revision till the last minute. And in theory, you'll feel more motivated after results day (and knowing that it counts, and that you need it to stay on the MMath etc).

...in practice.. I found that I worked much harder in first year than in second year (and so I'm expecting a much lower grade this year) and I just don't know why, but maybe that's just me. :redface:

Oops, forgot ODEs - ODEs is alright, the lecturer messed up in writing our exam though and made it far too difficult so we got awarded extra marks, which is nice :tongue: the content itself is not too bad, the control stuff is icky though (and you pretty much don't need to learn it as all exams are best 3/4).
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't see thoughts, perceptions,emotions, rationality or cognitions.

That's fine that you found your social science subject easier, but you can't speak for everyone. You haven't even studied a social science at university either, so how would you know?

I've not disputed that a natural science is hard, I'm sure it's very difficult, but I don't know why you people try and belittle other subjects for your own comfort.

Both stem and non stem subjects are necessary.
Absolutely hideous, and a million times worse than I thought it would be
Confusing more than difficult...
Original post by SeanFM
Cheers. I'm studying MathSci at Bath :redface: how about you?

I'm still doing A-levels :frown:
Reply 134
Lmao more traumatic than my father's death :rofl:

deep
****ing horrible. Should've extended my gap year. It wasn't exactly a yr lol Just a few months. I already finished my a levels "late," like I was a bit older than other freshers. By like a yr or two. That wasn't the issue though. It was just...I weren't ready. Financially, self esteem wise, all that. But I somehow kinda pulled through with a lot of projection off my insecurities which made me very assertive during lecture discussions and very aggressive and disrespectful to the staff. I don't completely regret doing that though because it boosted my grades for showing my intellectual side that judging by my looks you wouldn't know was there and stuff, and as far as being disrespectful well it was deserved but certainly not wise. :\ Erm I wasn't employed either so it was relying on SFA to survive since my mum and I argued like mad my 1st two years at Uni and I was constantly having to fend for myself. So I was never in debt, just...skint. And it affected my energy and so I went into overdrive. Now I'm all worn out, penniless STILL, not finished STILL, unemployed STILL, grades dropping suddenly, and worse off than before. But with more...education. Yippee.

Lmao more traumatic than my father's death :rofl:

Jesus Christ.
Original post by 0to100
****ing horrible. Should've extended my gap year. It wasn't exactly a yr lol Just a few months. I already finished my a levels "late," like I was a bit older than other freshers. By like a yr or two. That wasn't the issue though. It was just...I weren't ready. Financially, self esteem wise, all that. But I somehow kinda pulled through with a lot of projection off my insecurities which made me very assertive during lecture discussions and very aggressive and disrespectful to the staff. I don't completely regret doing that though because it boosted my grades for showing my intellectual side that judging by my looks you wouldn't know was there and stuff, and as far as being disrespectful well it was deserved but certainly not wise. :\ Erm I wasn't employed either so it was relying on SFA to survive since my mum and I argued like mad my 1st two years at Uni and I was constantly having to fend for myself. So I was never in debt, just...skint. And it affected my energy and so I went into overdrive. Now I'm all worn out, penniless STILL, not finished STILL, unemployed STILL, grades dropping suddenly, and worse off than before. But with more...education. Yippee.

Sad times. :frown: Wish I could help ya, but I'd probs bring you back to square 1. :tongue:

Jesus Christ.

Oh wow LMAO
Anybody know the types of grades you need to get into Law and how respected the degree is?
Reply 138
For me totally massive
Reply 139
lmaoo im doing GCSEs i dont know this stuff apart from the fact that post grad medicine is more competitive than undergrad med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending