The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Exam Board - EdExcel
Subject - Government and Politics
Unit - Governing the UK (Unit 2)
Date - 09/06/16
Time - Afternoon

Resources

Specification - http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Government%20and%20Politics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035236_GCE_Lin_GovPol_Issue_4.pdf
Past Papers, Mark Schemes, Examiner Reports - [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/government-and-politics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Document-Type%2FQuestion-paper&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]ocument-Type%2FMark-scheme&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]ocument-Type%2FExaminer-report&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]nit%2FUnit-2"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/government-and-politics-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FQuestion-paper&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FMark-scheme&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FExaminer-report&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:u:nit%2FUnit-2
Politics Blog, Exam Help - http://alevelpolitics.com/
Notes, Mindmaps, Flaschards etc. - https://getrevising.co.uk/resources?q=&level_id%5B%5D=as&subject_id%5B%5D=government_and_politics&board_id%5B%5D=edexcel&topic%5B%5D=Civil+Liberties&topic%5B%5D=Constitutional+frameworks+of+US+government&topic%5B%5D=Constitutional+reform&topic%5B%5D=Judiciary&topic%5B%5D=Minister%27s+Role+and&topic%5B%5D=Parliament&topic%5B%5D=Prime+Minister+and+the+executive&topic%5B%5D=The+British+constitution&topic%5B%5D=The+Judiciary&topic%5B%5D=The+Supreme+Court
Official Parliament YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/UKParliament
Official Parliament Resources - http://www.parliament.uk/education/teaching-resources-lesson-plans/
BBC News Politics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics
Reddit Politics - www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics

If anyone has recommendations for more links, let me know.

Scroll to see replies

Here are some predictions we can try and discuss and see if they're relevant or what else could be a potential
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465212388.491696.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Beat me to it Pop!

You know for the 5 marker do you just quote the source?
Reply 3
Original post by xxvine
Beat me to it Pop!

You know for the 5 marker do you just quote the source?

More or less, just don't copy it of course. Refer to it multiple times and basically expand on what it says.
See - I saw the predictions for unit 1 and the topics were all 100% accurate, but the questions were mostly off.

The unit 1 predictions:
image.png

Attachment not found

So, I'd hesitate to go off the questions, but reckon the topics could be accurate for unit 2. Going to flag up my mark scheme for Unit 2 and see what hasn't featured recently/as often and compare!
Original post by popcornjpg
More or less, just don't copy it of course. Refer to it multiple times and basically expand on what it says.

By source, do you mean mark scheme?
They often have 10 separate points for the 5 mark questions. 😒
Reply 6
Original post by stratagems
By source, do you mean mark scheme?
They often have 10 separate points for the 5 mark questions. 😒

Source I mean Qu 1
The 5 marker
Original post by stratagems
See - I saw the predictions for unit 1 and the topics were all 100% accurate, but the questions were mostly off.

The unit 1 predictions:
image.png

Attachment not found

So, I'd hesitate to go off the questions, but reckon the topics could be accurate for unit 2. Going to flag up my mark scheme for Unit 2 and see what hasn't featured recently/as often and compare!

Yeah I agree completely, they're rjust the ones my teacher forward and I haven't had a chance to look st unit 2 predictions in depth to see if they match up to what the past papers suggest..I'm gonna do the same as you and compare ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mollyadtr
Yeah I agree completely, they're rjust the ones my teacher forward and I haven't had a chance to look st unit 2 predictions in depth to see if they match up to what the past papers suggest..I'm gonna do the same as you and compare ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

What what you write for the 'significance' on constitutional reforms?
Like what is the for vs point?
Original post by xxvine

I'd have the argument against reforms that have been seen as successful and unsuccessful and argue if they're significant or not?
Hol reform wasn't necessary successful but it's still a significant as people view it as I democratic still there just hasn't been progression

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine

Or they don't have to be about success it could be in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
Source I mean Qu 1
The 5 marker

😳 I genuinely couldn't remember that there was a source based question - got so confused!
I haven't revised Unit 2 at all. :frown:

Does anybody have suggestions as to where I should start? Should I focus on all 4 or do a Unit 1-style strategy and just focus on 2 or 3.

I can see from the topics in Unit 2 papers that Parliament comes up far less than the other topics, so perhaps it might come up this year?
Are you revising 2 or 3 topics I feel like I don't have enough time to do 3 and just risk doing Parliament and judiciary how likely is it they'll come up in the same section
Original post by UKStudent17
I haven't revised Unit 2 at all. :frown:

Does anybody have suggestions as to where I should start? Should I focus on all 4 or do a Unit 1-style strategy and just focus on 2 or 3.

I can see from the topics in Unit 2 papers that Parliament comes up far less than the other topics, so perhaps it might come up this year?

You HAVE to learn 3, if two of the ones you've only revised come up on the first stimulus question you won't have a question you'll be able to do in the 40 mark side of it
Start wth the constitution and parliament as they interlink with stuff like sovereignty and then choose one of the others you enjoy☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PaulLadbilePogba
Are you revising 2 or 3 topics I feel like I don't have enough time to do 3 and just risk doing Parliament and judiciary how likely is it they'll come up in the same section

I don't think it's a question of likely it's just pot luck, but if you wanna risk it you can but learning 3 can be done. I can give you a starting point with some powerpoints? I just don't have judiciary

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm revising 2 topics which are constitution and parliament. I got a B in this exam last year and I have my A2 history on Friday morning so might as well
Reply 17
Original post by PaulLadbilePogba

If your gonna do 2 which is Riskyyyyy
You have to do constitution and paliament
Since the syllabus began they have never appeared on the same section
Others have such as the combination your going to do
Reply 18
Original post by Thebeast97
I'm revising 2 topics which are constitution and parliament. I got a B in this exam last year and I have my A2 history on Friday morning so might as well

Same
That's the only combination you can do and that's even a risk
But since the syllabus began those two do not appear on the same section
I doubt Edexcel would suddenly change the minds now but still with that democracy 25 marker today...wouldn't put it back them😂
Original post by xxvine
If your gonna do 2 which is Riskyyyyy
You have to do constitution and paliament
Since the syllabus began they have never appeared on the same section
Others have such as the combination your going to do

Wouldnt that mean theirs chance they will put those 2 togther this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending